MKR wan 1300 (Lora) as a gateway

Hi,

I'm new using LoRa.

I got one LoRa mkrwan 1300 and i'm wondering if i can use it as a gateway just to read data from end devices.

I use electrical meter with LoRa communication, they connect to a LoRa gateway. I want to read them from the MKR wan 1300 (Lora)

Best regards,
Merlin Pineda

Are you speaking of LoRa or LoRaWAN? if the electrical meter is transmitting LoRaWAN, data is encrypted and you cannot decode it without the keys. If very basic LoRa, then partly yes.
If you modify the LoRaSendReceive example to receive only, you will see any packet transmitted around you (at the SF you set, and at a specific channel of course: you cannot cover all channels and SFs). However, since MKR WAN 1300 does not have WiFi, packets can be seen on Serial only (so no gateway).

The meter transmit in LoRawan, i got instructions to decode the data.

I was tryng to modify the LoRaSendReceive example but it was not successful.

Can you give me an idea of how can it works?
How can i indicate to the Mkrlora wan 1300 to get the packets from the meter?

1 Like

Also posted at:

If you're going to do that then please add links to the other places you posted. This will let us avoid wasting time due to duplicate effort and also help others who have the same questions and find your post to discover all the relevant information. When you post links please always use the chain links icon on the toolbar to make them clickable.

pmerlin:
The meter transmit in LoRawan, i got instructions to decode the data.

I was tryng to modify the LoRaSendReceive example but it was not successful.

Can you give me an idea of how can it works?
How can i indicate to the Mkrlora wan 1300 to get the packets from the meter?

Pert is right.
Apologies for a mistake: for reading packets better to start from a LoRa library like this one. However, to develop a gateway software you need a certain amount of knowledge, and by definition also a connection to Internet, which is not available on this board (without add-ons).
You can only see packets on the serial monitor but they are encrypted, and if it is LoRaWAN, the instructions you have are likely for decoding the already unencrypted payload on a LoRaWAN network (that does part of the work). Buy at least a platform for which some single channel sw is available (ESP32 + LoRa, like Heltec or TTGO, or ESP8266+a LoRa chip).

Thank you!

But i want to know if i can connect with this electrical meter just to read the packets?

Do you know if there is a more complete library on how to configure the MKR WAN 1300 using AT commands?
I think this one is configured as Class A and the meter is Class C.
Also i want to know if i can configure the MKRWAN 1300 as a public network.

Best regards.

pmerlin:
Thank you!

But i want to know if i can connect with this electrical meter just to read the packets?

if it is LoraWAN, no. Check on TTN whether around you there is a LoRaWAN gateway, if exists create an application on TTN and add your device.

pmerlin:
Do you know if there is a more complete library on how to configure the MKR WAN 1300 using AT commands?
I think this one is configured as Class A and the meter is Class C.
Also i want to know if i can configure the MKRWAN 1300 as a public network.

Best regards.

If the meter is sending data, is not Class C.