Arduino - WiFi connection through serial

No suggestions; I was just reading a bit about it while researching LoRa. I didn't pursue it as for my project encryption is not a requirement (it'd have been nice of course - encrypt everything!).

Haven't had time to play with them yet but I have a pair of DT-06 modules. These are based on the ESP-8285 and look to offer transparent wifi communication over regular UART

360modena_cs:
Do Arduino nano support encryption/decryption, does anyone have experience with this?

That depends on what sort of encryption you want. Do you want to confuse me, or the CIA?

...R

Robin2:
That depends on what sort of encryption you want. Do you want to confuse me, or the CIA?

...R

Surely not CIA :P, but either someone with bruteforce attack to invade my sensors network.

360modena_cs:
but either someone with bruteforce attack to invade my sensors network.

What sort of people would be interested in doing that?

In what way is your sensor data valuable?

Only a certain amount of paranoia is sensible. :slight_smile:

...R

Haha, surely not :slight_smile:

The only thing I can say, is that in the future the major problem in IoT will be such kind of attacks. That's why serious companies provide encryption configuration for their wireless modules... (ex. Xbee)

Just google it...

What CAN you do, really?

You could start listening in to the sensor values, recording them, not sure if there's any value to that.

You could start to inject fake sensor values by creating transmissions to the receiving node. But as long as your receiver is doing basic sanity checking on the values received that should never cause problems such as buffer overflows. At worst it would poison the logged data.

The ESP8266 has an OTA firmware update method, that should come with a good password. Another way to prevent attacks here is to only make OTA available for a short period of time, say 1 minute upon starting up of the device, after which it just doesn't listen. This way you can only update the device if you also have physical access to it.

360modena_cs:
The only thing I can say, is that in the future the major problem in IoT will be such kind of attacks.

So don't use IoT for anything that matters.

Surprisingly human civilisation has managed for a few thousand years without it.

...R

MartynC:
Haven't had time to play with them yet but I have a pair of DT-06 modules. These are based on the ESP-8285 and look to offer transparent wifi communication over regular UART

Do you know what is the maximum distance they can transmit? because I am googling it but I cannot find something..

It's WiFi, so expect to get as far. So typically 0-50 meters, depending on the environment. Maybe a little more if you have a very clean line of sight and no other networks around that cause interference.
Just try it with your phone - about as poor an antenna as those modules have. An external antenna will normally give you a better range.

If I use this component:

with level shifters (5V to 3.3V and vice-versa)

instead of this component:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/rfm69hcw-hookup-guide

with Arduinos of course, will it work?? Has anyone experience?

Thank you...

The Sparkfun one has the same module, but on a breakout board for easy connection and the two required capacitors installed already. Otherwise, they're the same.

The e-bay module you link to fits perfectly on a standard ESP-12 breakout board, by the way. Same footprint.

wvmarle:
The Sparkfun one has the same module, but on a breakout board for easy connection and the two required capacitors installed already. Otherwise, they're the same.

Do I need those capacitors?

Yes - see data sheet.

I see only one capacitor (red arrow)...see attachment

wvmarle:
Yes - see data sheet.

Which datasheet did you see?

Manufacturer's data sheet.
P.77 you see the circuit - a 104 and a 105 so 100n and 1µ; the first for filtering, the second for decoupling; other circuits that I find suggest a 47µ cap, and Sparkfun apparently settled on 10µF decoupling.

wvmarle:
Manufacturer's data sheet.
P.77 you see the circuit - a 104 and a 105 so 100n and 1µ; the first for filtering, the second for decoupling;

I suppose I put ceramic capacitors, not electrolytic, right?

100n ceramic
1-10µ electrolytic (ceramic may work as well)