Linux single board computers

Sorry if this is a duplicate, either its not been asked, or google is crap...

I've seen on twitter Arduino talking about how we can now add various Linux SBC's, namely a Raspberry Pi, to the Arduino web IDE and upload sketches remotely.
I immediately jumped at investigating this and it does work, device manager > add new > raspberry pi... and so on... uploading and running sketches seems easy...

There is a but though... where can I actually find a list of supported "stuff", the API essentially, what pin numbers match to the RPi GPIO, and what functions and such actually work?

I've tried some google foo on this and it seems there is little or no documentation.

It is still quite new in the grand scheme of things.

Documentation is very sketchy and there are presently some shortcomings in being able to get to many things such as a root console or delete an uploaded sketch from the PI.

I am slowly getting back into some PI stuff but will just be playing with simple things like analog read and blink etc until I find my feet with the MY DEVICES page. It might be worth your doing the same to start with.

From looking at the exploded parts diagram this laptop is a Linux SBC.

I have never been able to convince myself that an RPi would be useful for me.

I bought a Yun a while back and it was a complete waste of money - a great idea spoiled by a ridiculous implementation that made the Linux side subservient to the puny Arduino side.

With that experience in mind I can't imagine what advantage the Arduino IDE would bring to programming an RPi compared with the more usual methods. Is the Arduino IDE going to embrace Python?

There is a well known expression "trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot". Well IMHO using the Arduino IDE to program Linux is the opposite - trying to fill a bath with a teacup.

...R

I'm very skeptical of the RPi's original goal of being a cheap computer for learning programming. The economics of that really only works out if you can salvage the rest of the parts and anyone who can do that can likely scrounge up a whole computer that's cheaper, more powerful, and flexible.

For use in embedded systems that need a lot of computing power the RPi is great, especially the Zero. For that application, being able to easily do low level C++ programming could be quite useful if done right. Unfortunately it doesn't seem that Arduino is doing it right so far. If they were to release a standard Boards Manager hardware package for the standard Arduino IDE I think things would move forward much more quickly with community support and contributions. I'm not sure whether there is a technical reason for not doing that or if it's simply a business decision.

I bought a RPi Zero to allow me to do beta testing of the Arduino IDE on the Linux ARM platform. I have cobbled together a budget KVM switch-ish setup so that I can easily switch my keyboard, monitor, and mouse between my Windows desktop and the RPi. For this sort of use the Zero is painfully slow so I only used it when I absolutely needed to. Then I got a free RPi 3 B+ on a promotion from Arrow. This thing is very usable and I'm frequently switch over to it, not only to do Linux ARM-specific testing but also just general Linux testing (e.g. seeing how things are handled on a filename case-sensitive OS) or even just to run a lengthy process on a separate machine.

I have done very little with the GPIO but I do have a project in the works to add an RPi ISP programmer option to the Arduino IDE. It's just waiting for Arduino to make their next release of AVRDUDE, which will have a patch needed to make this work properly.