Is my power supply sufficient enough?

I have a project and im using this FF. components to be controlled by arduino uno and 1 power supply.

1x 12v DC motor(https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/high-torque-12v-dc-120rpm-dc-worm-geared-motor-with-gear-reducer-turbo-motor-intl-i161675531-s197762262.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.56.172e328dOEYusd&search=1)

1x 12v DC motor(550 DC 12V 21000rpm/min 0.7A High Power High Speed DC Motor DIY Electric tools - intl | Lazada PH)

2x 12v dc solenoid lock(12V DC 0.60A Electronic Solenoid Door Cabinet Lock Electric Locker Drawer Electromagnetic Magnet Magnetic Assembly 12VDC 12 V | Lazada PH)

1x servo motor (https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/oh-mg996r-torque-digital-all-metal-gear-servo-for-helicopter-car-boat-model-i1827351-s2219545.html?spm=a2o4l.searchlist.list.11.61d0568c96hfjO&search=1)

1x HC-SR04

and finally my power supply(https://www.portablepower.com/product/gs-portalac-yuasa-pxl-12090/)

My question:
*Is my power supply sufficient to control all of the components?
a.if yes, can i directly connect it to the barrel jack of arduino?
b.if no, can you give me specific power supply in able to control all the components.

tnx in advance

Impossible to say, for at least these 2 reasons:

• The specs for the first motor in your list only give the no-load current. You need to know the stall current, since that's what it will draw at start-up
  • The battery doesn't say what current it can supply; only gives its capacity

That 12v 9Ah battery should be capable of powering everything. Lead acid batteries can usually supply high currents for short periods. But I can't say how long it will be until the battery needs recharging. I would assume 9Ah really means 3 or 4.

You can certainly connect the battery to the Arduino. However do NOT draw current for the other device through the Arduino.

...R

PS ... do not leave a lead-acid battery in a discharged state - it will greatly shorten its life.

Your "power supply"is a battery. Those 9Ah batteries can output quite a lot of current so I would say that's plenty.

And yes, you can connect it straight to the Arduino if you don't load down the 5V output of the Arduino with stuff you might not mentioned. And for the motors, speed will change a bi depending on the charge of the battery.

@juma_yetu, first point, read better :wink: Second, those lead acid batteries happily do 1C which is plenty.

hmmm.. 3-4 hrs seems too fast.. can i use atx power supply(PSU) instead?

septillion:
@juma_yetu, first point, read better :wink:

Actually I read fine, posted wrong. It's the second motor which doesn't give the stall current, just no-load of 0.7A.

Hehe, that's true :smiley: But from the size you can assume it's not very power hungry. I agree, not very scientific but will do for hobby standards (and more then you want to know for industry as well...)

khimm19:
hmmm.. 3-4 hrs seems too fast.. can i use atx power supply(PSU) instead?

If that is a response to my Reply #2, I did not mean 3 or 4 hours. I meant 3 or 4 amp hours - of course if you are drawing 1 amp from the battery it amounts to the same thing. Unfortunately battery manufacturers are very optimistic.

...R

septillion:
Hehe, that's true :smiley: But from the size you can assume it's not very power hungry. I agree, not very scientific but will do for hobby standards (and more then you want to know for industry as well...)

Robin2:
If that is a response to my Reply #2, I did not mean 3 or 4 hours. I meant 3 or 4 amp hours - of course if you are drawing 1 amp from the battery it amounts to the same thing. Unfortunately battery manufacturers are very optimistic.

...R

how can i charge the battery if its attach in the barrel jack of arduino?

I have a battery (https://www.portablepower.com/product/gs-portalac-yuasa-pxl-12090/) and i want to charge it even if it is attach in arduino via power jack.

You have already mentioned this battery in your other thread.
https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=541078.0
You could have asked it there.

If you want to charge a 12volt SLA battery, then connect a 12volt SLA battery charger to it.

I always get nervous when powering an Arduino with more than 9volt (>= 13.5volt in this case).
The 5volt regulator on the Uno could overheat, depending on what else the Uno has to power.
You might want to power the Arduino with a 5volt buck converter (on the 5volt pin).
Leo..

Wawa:
Is my power supply sufficient enough? - Motors, Mechanics, Power and CNC - Arduino Forum

S/he did:

khimm19:
how can i charge the battery if its attach in the barrel jack of arduino?

:wink:

how to connect it sir?.. first time encountering that one :frowning:

Did you search for "SLA battery charger" on ebay or Amazon.
Or ask for it in a local car/motorbike shop.
Leo..

By connecting a charger :wink:

@khimm19, please do not cross-post. Threads merged.

Robin2:
That 12v 9Ah battery should be capable of powering everything. Lead acid batteries can usually supply high currents for short periods. But I can't say how long it will be until the battery needs recharging. I would assume 9Ah really means 3 or 4.

You can certainly connect the battery to the Arduino. However do NOT draw current for the other device through the Arduino.

...R

PS ... do not leave a lead-acid battery in a discharged state - it will greatly shorten its life.

so how can i control the servo motor and the HC-SR04 if i will not draw any current from other devices from arduino?

Wawa:
Is my power supply sufficient enough? - Motors, Mechanics, Power and CNC - Arduino Forum

If you want to charge a 12volt SLA battery, then connect a 12volt SLA battery charger to it.

I always get nervous when powering an Arduino with more than 9volt (>= 13.5volt in this case).
The 5volt regulator on the Uno could overheat, depending on what else the Uno has to power.
You might want to power the Arduino with a 5volt buck converter (on the 5volt pin).
Leo..

can i use this sir? for the 5v pin?

Yes, but you don't 'need' 1Amp to power a 50mA Arduino (unless you have to power someting else as well).

This one is 500mA, and 1/3 of the price.
Leo..

khimm19:
so how can i control the servo motor and the HC-SR04 if i will not draw any current from other devices from arduino?

Powering the HC-SR04 from the Arduino 5v pin is probably OK, but not the servo.

If (as @Wawa has suggested) you use a 5v regulator to power the Arduino then you could also use that to power the Servo and the HCSR04. If it is a small servo the 500mA should be sufficient.

...R