UNO with SIM900 Quad-band GSM/GPRS Shield & a Ethernet Shield W5100 Micro-SD

UNO with SIM900 Quad-band GSM/GPRS Shield & a Ethernet Shield W5100 Micro-SD Card onto a UNO card

Is it possible to stack these two shields
I think the GSM needs to stack first, but then the TCSP connector will not reach the Ethernet Shield TCSP connector
So is that a problem or do I need to get flexible jumpers to connect those two
I want to send messages over the Ethernet and have them transmitted as SMS text messages
Thanks

I want to send messages over the Ethernet and have them transmitted as SMS text messages

There are web services that can do that. Handle that on the web server, not the Arduino.

I would go for the web server as told before, unless your arduino adds some kind of extra information or data to the message.

no web access, that why I need the GSM module. The Ethernet is a closed network no access to the outside world

If the closed ethernet network has a real computer on it, I would personal want to use that to talk to the SIM900, not an arduino. I wrote a SIM900 library for UNIX. I know there's one for Raspberry Pie.

http://1474orchard.ca/projects/?x=entry:entry140523-140449

asterof:
So is that a problem or do I need to get flexible jumpers to connect those two

I don't believe it is. There is nothing to stop you putting the Ethernet on first, indeed I'm sure it is common practice by virtue of the ICSP pins. What you do need to check is how you power the combination. I am still trying to get that sorted.

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=253081.msg1791761#msg1791761

gardner:
If the closed ethernet network has a real computer on it, I would personal want to use that to talk to the SIM900, not an arduino. I wrote a SIM900 library for UNIX. I know there's one for Raspberry Pie.

A new SMS terminal for my basement « Projects

If you could answer my question please, how do you program in Unix. Are there compilers and IDE to do so? Or just a Linux distro.
Btw, maybe its easier to program in Arduino than Unix.

mart256:
how do you program in Unix. Are there compilers and IDE to do so? Or just a Linux distro.

There are compilers of course. And IDEs. You can use any of a dozen Linux distributions, Free/Net/OpenBSD, Solaris -- take your pick.

My point was only that if the private network involves a proper computer -- as opposed to a microcontroller like a AVR Arduino -- that might be a good place to implement an ethernet/SMS gateway -- rather than trying to cram this function into an Arduino.

Btw, maybe its easier to program in Arduino than Unix.

By some measures yes, by others, no. If you are used to programming real computers, then programming them is easier than the Arduino. If you've never programmed anything for any purpose before in your life, then getting started with Arduino is less daunting than picking up a PHP, SQL and C/C++ manual.