avrdude: can't open config file ... No such file or directory

Hey all,

Sometime within the last week, I began getting the following error on upload, right after compile...

System wide configuration file is "C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino8\etc\avrdude.conf"
avrdude: can't open config file "C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino8\etc\avrdude.conf": No such file or directory
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino8\etc\avrdude.conf"
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino8\etc\avrdude.conf"

I uninstalled, reinstalled the latest Arduino IDE, from whatever it was previously to 1.8.1, and still get the error.

Searched for that file in that directory, and it's not found there.

The following path does not have an \etc\ folder: C:\Users\Brad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino8

Though it is found elsewhere.

I have tried a brand new Uno, Mega, Nano, Adafruit Trinket, no luck.

A fresh install on my wife's laptop works just fine compiling and uploading to those boards as normal. My desktop is where I upload from mainly, so I'd really love some help trying to get this solved.

Searched the forums a bit, and didn't find anything with this specific error message, so now I am posting a topic looking for help.

Thanks in advance,

-Brad

Ok after picking at this for a while, I think I got it working. I found an updated avrdude.conf file, and added it to the directory the ide was wanting, and then got some errors in code.

I went and replaced all instances of type = ; with type = "*"; and now it's fine.

I added quotes around the type. There were a lot of them.

Seems to be fine now, but no idea what happened to cause this whole thing to go bad in the first place.

The only thing I could think of is if the Arduino IDE tried to change to a different version of AVRDUDE but wasn't able to fully remove avrdude 6.3.0-arduino8.

If you want the exact version of avrdude.conf that Arduino ships with avrdude 6.3.0-arduino8 you can get it from this download (Windows version):
http://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/avrdude-6.3.0-arduino8-i686-w64-mingw32.zip

Please i have this error anytime i try to upload

Check the picture attached.

@archingeo

How is that an error and where is the rest of the coloured text ?
Use code tags to post error messages ( </> ) as pictures are not always good for that purpose.

hi
i am using both arduino uno and nano after making updates to som feature of arduino it started to give me this error.

avrdude: can't open config file "C:\Users\Muhamad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf": No such file or directory
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Users\Muhamad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf"
avrdude: error reading system wide configuration file "C:\Users\Muhamad\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\avrdude\6.3.0-arduino14/etc/avrdude.conf"

can i get some help :slight_smile:

1 Like

This error indicates you need to take some drastic action. Be aware this is somewhat advanced and will remove any boards you have installed via Boards Manager:

1. Select File > Preferences from the Arduino IDE's menus.
  2. Click the link on the line following "More preferences can be edited directly in the file". This will open the Arduino15 (or similar name depending on OS) folder in your file browser.
  3. Delete all files and folders under the Arduino15 folder except for preferences.txt. Please be very careful when deleting things from your computer. When in doubt, back up!
  4. Restart the Arduino IDE.

Verify that you can now upload successfully before reinstalling any packages via Boards Manager.

4 Likes

https://downloads.arduino.cc/tools/avrdude-6.3.0-arduino8-i686-w64-mingw32.zip

I only replaced the avrdude folder in the location indicated in the error C: \ Usuários \ Muhamad \ AppData \ Local \ Arduino15 \ packages \ arduino \ tools \ avrdude

Now it's working normally.