architecture of input file incompatible with avr:4

I receive the following error message when attempting to compile any of the example sketches that make use of the included Libraries in Arduino 15 on Mac OS X 10.5.6

/Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../lib/gcc/avr/4.3.2/../../../../avr/bin/ld: avr:51 architecture of input file `/Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/libraries/Stepper/Stepper.o' is incompatible with avr:4 output

Couldn't determine program size: hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: '/tmp/build59988.tmp/MotorKnob.hex': No such file

Somehow, you have a version of 'gcc' on your computer that is not a cross-compiler but a native compiler for the host. The binary files for the AVR architecture do not match the host architecture. Try re-installing the 'gcc' cross-compiler for AVR.

Thanks for taking an interest in my problem - but if you're saying I'm compiling my C code for the PPC604 rather than the AVR wouldn't that mean I can't compile any sketches, rather than just library example sketches ie HelloWorld that use LiquidCrystal?

Arduino 14 compiles Helloworld.pde just fine - 15 generates the error message above. Both will compile "Blink" (which uses no libraries).

If I have the wrong compiler that can only be because the wrong compiler is packaged in the Arduino 15 Mac OS X zip package.

Thanks again !
Mike

OK, that's useful information! It now looks like the file /Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/libraries/Stepper/Stepper.o really is the wrong architecture, and the compiler is OK. That's odd, I don't know how it happened. But, with any Arduino library code. if you delete the object code file (the '.o' file), the Arduino IDE will recompiler it when you exit the IDE and restart it. So, you could try deleting /Applications/arduino-0015/hardware/libraries/Stepper/Stepper.o (keep a backup copy somethwhere else if you like), and then restarting the Arduino IDE.

Do let us know if that works!