What are your Multimeter recommendations.

Hello forum,

I haven't yet bought a multi-meter, but i think i should, i keep
asking myself so many questions about what the volts/amps
are at this, or that, precise point in the circuit....

Naturally i'm seeking a good but inexpensive multimeter.
Perhaps something i could order from Ebay/Amazon/Aliexpress etc

Thanks for your help and advice

Have a nice day

Sally :slight_smile:

Some people will tell you a Fluke is the only thing you can ever get happy with.

I don't agree. Better get two cheaper ones, at least as long as you cannot look at specs and know if they match your requirements or not (because as long as that is the not the case, you probably don't have to serious requirements).
I have an OWON B35T and a Hold Peak HP-90EPC. I am satisfied with both, but if I had to choose, I would go for the OWON, because it has a mV Setting and uses AA batteries instead of 9V block.
With the Hold Peak, I like the built in battery tester (voltage under load), but you can built that trivially with a shunt resistor.

Start with a cheap basic model and figure out what you need/want from experience. High precision is
rarely required for instance (especially for digital), and basic V/A/Ω are probably enough.

If you will be dealing with mains voltages avoid cheap Chinese meters that might be unsafe and get
shrouded probes, but for low voltage almost any meter these days is servicable.

Features that might be important:

• capacitance measuring
  • thermocouple mode (often non-basic meters come with a thermocouple probe)
  • rapid bar-graph display (displays quick changes better than just a 7-segment display)
  • high-current range (10A or more) - this may be missing on the cheapest meters.
  • autoranging (pretty standard these days).

What is the general opinion on Brymen BTW? They seem to be mid-range, price-wise, about one level over the ones I suggested, perhaps two. I have never seen them coming up in the usual Fluke vs. cheap fights here.

I like the ones where the batteries are AA and easy to replace.
Pretty much, every one I have ever used has done what I needed to. So the deciding factor is how easy it is to replace the batteries when I forget to turn it off.

vinceherman:
So the deciding factor is how easy it is to replace the batteries when I forget to turn it off.

The OWON B35T I suggested above has auto-switchoff. Love it or hate it. At least it beeps well before it switches off.

I recently bought an Extech EX330 when Crossroads gave that one a recommendation a little while ago. It is autoranging, autoshutoff, uses AA batteries, has all the basic functions plus Hz, Capacitance, F & C temperature probe, and a new feature - NCV - Non Contact Voltage Detector. Hold the top of the meter near an AC power line, press the NCV button (meter can be on or off) and the top lights up along with a chirppy buzzy sound if AC is present. Great for locating in-wall power lines before driving a nail into the wall.
I got it from Amazon for $32.10, free Prime shipping.

Dave from EEVblog recommended the Brymen BM235. Bought it and can fully recommend it.

Why I recommend it:

• Easy to open
  • Precise device
  • Plenty features
  • Clear interface
  • Compact dimensions
  • Lit display
  • Kickstand and probe-holders
  • High quality casing
  • Great probes and accessories
    Not exactly entry-price but absolutely worth it.
    Pricepoint: around $90

Auto-ranging is a very handy feature.

I've got an inexpensive (less than $100) auto-ranging meter and the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't read low AC voltage (less than about 1V). I assume that's because it uses a diode for AC measurements (like a lot of cheap meters) and I'm getting a diode drop.

If you get a super-cheap meter it may not have an easily replaceable fuse (for current measurement), and if you measure current sooner or later, you're going to blow a fuse.

I've also seen cheap meters that don't have a separate connection for current measurement. That's bad because if you accidently switch to the current-range while measuring voltage you'll short-out your circuit-under-test, possibly frying it as well as blowing the fuse in the meter.

The OWON B35T I suggested above has auto-switchoff. Love it or hate it

:smiley: :smiley: My Fluke at work has auto shut-off. I don't hate it, but sometimes it shuts-off when I'm using the continuity-beeper to track-down a short, and since you're going by-ear without watching the meter things can get confusing for a few seconds 'till you figure-out the meter is off...

Hi,
DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...
I sell a lot of these to schools at $10. HERE on Amazon Prime:

Nice large display.

Buy an inexpensive one learn how to use it, burn it out then buy a more expensive one.

I've had this one for a few years and I'm very happy with it. - Scotty

I have bought a number of 'cheap' multimeters in the last 40 years or so and all the cheap ones ended up in the bin for one reason or another.

My favorite Voltmeter and continuity tester is a Fluke 11, that been going for 25 years or so.

I have a Fluke 87 and whilst its very good, the software (as in the user interface) is a bit odd at times.

My favorite Multimeter is my trusty Avo 8 Mk5 dating from the 1970s;

Avo 8 Mk5

It still works well and is very useful when measuring power consumption of RF transmitters, the RF field causes a lot of modern electronic multimeters to go nuts.

DVDdoug:
Auto-ranging is a very handy feature.

Not for me.
Made too many mistakes with auto ranging things.
Leo..

For poking around an Arduino, get a couple of the cheap Chinese meters from Harbor Freight or the equivalent ($3 each on sale!) Being able to measure more than one thing at a time is worth more than better accuracy or whatever. When they start being flakey, throw them away and get a new one.

If you're going to poke around mains voltage, get something better, for the safety features...

One thing that may be particularly useful on a more expensive (mid-range) meter is frequency measurement.

Wawa:
Not for me.
Made too many mistakes with auto ranging things.
Leo..

Me too, and even expensive meters can be slow to auto-range, so looking at a changing voltage can be difficult.

Nice feature perhaps, but for me only if its off by default.

I'm fluke through and through, I own 5 of them, Fluke 175,179,T5-100, 116 and 1520 Megaohm meter, The guys at work use those cheap Sealy TA102 meters and when I go to site with them I take my fluke 179 which I know I can trust, Been caught out with some cheap mulitmeters. One fluke meter I've had in service for over 20 years which is not made anymore and have it calibrated every year and has never failed. but that's my opinion. I do also own a OWON B35T which works very well and pleased with it, I use this at home in my workshop.
It all boils down to how much you want to spend,how reliable you want it and what is used for and how often.
Even Dave from the EEV blog recommends 4 meters in a workshop but again it all depends on how often/use you need them for. My next purchase I'm lookin at the Fluke 233 (wireless meter)

Hey, I was also looking for a multimeter. I read here and there and find that fluke multimeter is the best. But, their price is high. I rarely find any multimeter under $100 from this brand.
I have selected two brands Klein or Mastech(depending on my budget).

I just want to ask a question here. Why multimeter price difference is higher than the normal brand(comparing with fluke).
Update: According to 6v6gt Just order this Mastech MS8268 Digital Multimeter. When I searched for the best multimeter reviews I found that as the best cheap option. Right now, a cheap multimeter can do my job.

Quality, warranty and features = $

Select what features you need, get the best quality you can easily afford.

Do you need?
3 1/2 digits or more.
Need to test transistors, capacitors, inductors, diode, LEDs
Need to measure temperature, frequency, true RMS
Need data logging
Need graphical output
Measurement range for voltage, current, resistance
Need continuity beep
Need maximum/minimum/hold capture
Need auto ranging
Need a back light
Need auto power off

Get good test leads.

Avoid the $20.00 crap.
Buy an expensive Fluke meter when you NEED it.

For the remaining 99.99% of the time a $40 DMM without autoranging is more than enough.
Leo..