WIFI-Internet-Development-Board-Base-ESP8266 (ebay) possible for Materia101?

Hi I have bought a Materia101 and would like to create a WIFI connection between PC and the 3D printer.
I was looking around on ebay and found a "WIFI-Internet-Development-Board-Base-ESP8266-Serial-Wireless-Module-UL" . Now I know its not arduino but maybe it would be compatible or maybe there is a arduino part that does the same. Long story short, is it possible to add a WIFI module to the Materia 101 printer in any way?
Thanks, Chris.

Hi, I use a raspberry pi with octoprint on my current 3d printer (Printrbot metal plus) and will do the same for my materia when I build it.

Easy to set up, you just need a pi, and USB WiFi adaptor and download the octoprint image.

Regards,

J.

Thanks for your answer, I will have a look into raspberry pi it is all a bit overwhelming with the code and so.
I first need to concentrate my efforts on getting slic3r configured correctly to be able to print downloaded stl files(converted to self starting gcode's)
But I will get there someday :wink:
But I think I will try that solution if it works for your Materia101.

I found slic3r settings on GIThub but can not figure out how to save the codes to my pc.
Thanks for your idea with the rastberry pi

Hey,

No problem, glad to help. Check out my blog for my filament reviews and once I've build my materia I'll post about that to, maybe I should do some how to's?

I would take a look at repetier, it uses the slic3r engine but give a better user interface and creating the gcode is more intuitive, http://www.repetier.com.

J.

Hi , How to's are always welcome especially video's (I prefer them) can be very helpful. I have been messing around with repetier in combination with slic3r but I can't get it to work like it should. (it will just not start printing)
I have found a youtube video that explains how to set up slicer and repetier but I did not get the software with my materia101. So I tried to download it here and found some code on GIThub (witch I never seen before and don't understand the workings of) But its not the same as the original software that came with the printer. Now I have paused the video and entered all the values I even downloaded the older versions of the software (identical to the video) but the only thing that does print is the octocat gcode.
I have downloaded several interesting files to print and can hardly wait to see them appear on my print-bed :slight_smile:

I would like to follow your blog and the tests of filament, I have different filaments that I can use but sticking to black (PLA 1.75)

What is the address of your blog?
Anyway thanks for helping me solve (part) the puzzle!
I did not know where I was getting myself into with buying a 3d printer, but I took the dive. Now I will need to learn to swim in order to survive.
Chris

Vdubster, I am also looking forward to your experiences with respect to connecting your Materia and printing using Octoprint. I've been considering setting this up but haven't done so yet.

Hi,

I hope to get the printer built this weekend or at least mostly so.

The address for my blog should be below my post, I'll take a look at doing a how to video for both slicer software and octoprint.

Regards,

J.

Many thanks a "how to video" would help lots of people i'm sure!
Wish you success with building it.
Chris.

Hey all,

Well putting my materia together isn't going to plan seems like i'm missing a T2.5x500 belt :-(.

Any ideas if they still monitor this forum or even support the printer?

J.

vdubster:

Unfortunately, it does not seem that Arduino is supporting the printer, however, it seems that this is a copy of a printer made by Sharebot. The printer is called a KIWI, and it is out of production. They may have on the shelf parts for that printer. See a posting below called " Extrusion head dead, RIP Materia 101? " He contacted the company for an extruder head and they were able to provide it. I believe the kit for the Materia 101 as produced by them for Arduino.

Hey all,

So SHAREBOT came through and sent me some replacement parts, massive thanks to them.

And as I type this I'm printing on the Materia 101 via OctoPrint :-).

James.