Atmega8/atmega168 packages

The Atmega8 and Atmega168 are available in different packages (pdip 28 - used on Arduino NG, mlf 32 and tqfp 32). Since the mlf and tqfp packages are much smaller than the pdip version that is used on the NG, I was wondering if it was possible to use the other chips with Arduino? I am working on some progjects where weight and space is important, that is why I ask

I don't know if any footers for the mlf and tqfp are available, but if they do exist (maybe someone knows this?), I could make some kind of converter board to be able to program then on my NG board.

All suggestions welcome!

Regards,

JD

Hello

Just a small preview... the new arduino mini will use the smaller mlf package to gain extra room..

massimo

Massimo,

Will the mlf package sit in a foot or will it be soldered to the board?

JD

I dont think there is a socket for the mlf package... apart from those massive ones that are used for testing...

it will be soldered like on the current mini... the mlf is tiny...

massimo

Thanks Massimo,

So, it won't be easy to program a few of these and use them in standalone projects?

JD

it's theoretically possible to mount them on a small pcb just with the quartz etc but in the end it's almost like using a DIP atmega 8 by itself :slight_smile:

BTW the arduino mini it's very small...