IDE/Editor Suggestions

Very important for windows users

Support for ctrl+ins and shft+ins for copy/paste
Ctrl+end/up/down etc to highlight text

Nice to have

Find in files (project). Allow a search for code within all files of the current sketch project. Show search results in the same way as compiler output window displays compile errors. Allow double click to the relevent code in the same way as can be done with compiler errors

I have not heard of X insert combinations, whats wrong with ctrl C or ctrl X for copy and cut ctrl V for paste (as it has been in windows for decades now)

I have not heard of X insert combinations

Yeah - those combos (and there are others) used to be popular, mainly in the DOS realm, with products like DOS Wordperfect; when Windows came about, because people were still using those key combos, they were left in for backwards compatibility (and the CTRL-C/CTRL-V combos added).

yea I remember them from very early dos applications now that you mention it, but never noticed they work in windows, let alone modern versions of windows

Support for ctrl+ins and shft+ins for copy/paste

I think this would mean people were always pressing insert which currently changes the text insert mode to overwrite and always causes issues...

Keeping people off the insert key is a better plan, or turning off the stupid overwrite/insert effect from pressing the insert key.

Also, wrong forum section, mod want to move it?

I work in a software company in the uk. I have asked everyone and they think it would be the most difficult program to use without these short cut keys. And it is!

I don't know which forum to move this too? Can you move it or suggest where it should go. Thanks

don't know which forum to move this too? Can you move it or suggest where it should go. Thanks

It's normally go in the software board but no worries.

By the way I don't agree with your suggestion that you should control what users should be allowed to do. I'm sorry but that sounds just a little bit too strong.

The point I am making is that a lot of users expect this as a standard. It is what they know, what they use.

Imagine if your copy and paste keys were not what you are used too. How difficult would that be for you?

It isn't a risk (or your choice) to decide that the INS key could become confused with overtype. We accepted that fact in our lives many many years ago and you won't be able to change it (even if we wanted too) !!

Please reconsider, it is a very big problem. One user told me that using your IDE is like pricking pins into their eyes. Sorry but it's true

Osgeld, it is what many people are used too. How easy would it be for you to change? Every microsoft program supports these keys and it is a small matter for you and a BIG matter for people like me. So why question it?

simple, I did not know

so breath man

(and suggesting how easy it is for me to change my habbit is kind of a weak point)

Osgeld, it is what many people are used too. How easy would it be for you to change? Every microsoft program supports these keys and it is a small matter for you and a BIG matter for people like me. So why question it?

I tell you what, in the spirit of open source ( ?? :wink: ) why don't you post a poll here and see what that forum population thinks?

Lefty

I've made a true and reasonable point that isn't rocket science to implement.

I have had 1300 downloads of my arduino visual studio addin and it is only in beta. The add-in is for windows and visual studio professionals who want to use arduino for hobby purposes but who also can't use the arduino ide.

"Using the arduino ide is like sticking pins in my eyes" said one user!

http://www.visualmicro.com/

It would be a pleasure to use the arduino ide than have to waste time writing software like visual micro.

It seems sad that you want to be so obstinate about something that doesn't affect you.

Frankly, the feedback from the poll I have taken amongst lesser forum membership levels included feedback as “unbelievable”, “lazy” etc. It seems there is an entire market that is being alienated by the ide and you gurus just don't seem to care.

:cry:

This was brought up quite some time ago.

http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/detail?id=22

Looks like it needs to get into Processing first. Not sure on the status of that.

Please reconsider, it is a very big problem. One user told me that using your IDE is like pricking pins into their eyes. Sorry but it's true

Well I am not involved in the IDE modifications/updates so it doesn't really matter what my view is. I personally have never used those shortcuts (did not know they existed) so like many other people, I am making an opinion based on my experiences.

It seems sad that you want to be so obstinate about something that doesn't affect you.

I think this would mean people were always pressing insert which currently changes the text insert mode to overwrite and always causes issues...

I am speaking from my experiences as with helping people with arduino IDE issues. I have had many people having issues with the insert/overwrite issue but never had any issue with missing shortcut keys.
I did say 'I think'. I might be wrong any many people might find it useful. Stick it on the suggestions list and lets be done with it.

Hi TimL

I've made a true and reasonable point that isn't rocket science to implement.
"Using the arduino ide is like sticking pins in my eyes" said one user!

The simple truth is that nobody cares.
It doesn't matter how many bug reports or enhancement requests for the IDE-code you send in, if it doesn't get fixed in Processing first it won't be fixed in the Arduino-IDE.
... and Processing is not very good at fixing bugs.:
This bug here

will very likely be with us for the upcoming Arduino-0019
We fixed this for the Ubuntu-Linux package of 0018. All we had to do is to swap 2 lines of code! The processing team is working (sleeping) on this since for 2 years now.
I have given up arguing about IDE-issues, it is a waste of time here and on the developers mailing list as well.
I guess you have to know someone from the Core team personally to get a bug fixed.
You did the right thing to start creating an alternative IDE.

Eberhard

It seems there is an entire market that is being alienated by the ide and you gurus just don't seem to care.

I am starting to wonder why your getting so hostile to us, the end users? what do you want us to tell you? its not like we control the official releases

if its THAT god awefull use an external editor, its got an option for it, you can use whatever you want and it ties into the default ide

OR

write your own, there is nothing magical about it, and its decently documented, and since you and your group are dedicated software professionals it should only take a second or two

OR

Welcome to 1988 and windows 3.0, its not really our fault you never unbroke your habits from wordperfect on a IBM XT, and are using (yea supported but) undocumented shortcuts in current software (and yea I looked in a wfw3.11, windows 95, and windows XP manual)

will very likely be with us for the upcoming Arduino-0019

Well I think the next is intended to be arduino 1.0 which should have a lot of bugs fixed and hopefully deviate a little away from the processing environment.

Mowcius

This:

..it should only take a second or two..

;D

Also:

and yea I looked in a wfw3.11, windows 95, and windows XP manual

;D

It seems there is an entire market that is being alienated by the ide

Could be. This particular fix won't be sufficient to win them back on its own, and it seems there are an awful lot of windows users who aren't even aware of the shortcuts that you are asking for... (I guess this explains where those odd shortcuts in ssh came from though. I always wondered...)

I'd like the IDE to be EMACS compatible, myself. And have remappable keys and stuff. But I hardly feel "alienated" because these features aren't there. It is enough that the IDE can access files prepared with some other editor.

Adding all the features to an IDE that everyone wants is a sure way to alienate a different segment of potential users. I've been looking at the Eclipse-based ccs used by TI, and ... it's a joke as an "easy to use" IDE for beginners. I don't like it much in general (by first experience with Eclipse. Who decided that overlapping windows are evil? And no black backgrounds? Sheesh.)

Have you submitted an actual patch to the Processing and Arduino projects? "Rough consensus and working code", you know... (and ... welcome to The Big Players in Open Source Software. If your priorities don't match those of the project leaders ... you can always patch your personal version. Feel free...)

Ctrl+end/up/down etc to highlight text

Key for EXCEL users with BIG sheets.

No one mentioned Wordstar.