Mcufriend LCD TFT shield with ILI9325 libraries test

Yes, the soldering of the micro-flex connector has bridges as you can see from your photo. In fact those bridges are on pins that are interconnected anyway. I am pretty sure that the problem is not with the 37-way flex connector.

Here is an example sketch: It should build with any of the "Adafruit_TFTLCD.h" libraries that are original or have been hacked.

/*
 * rainbow_kbv
 *  Author: David Prentice
 * displays colour gradation on mcufriend UNO shields 
 */

#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>
#include <Adafruit_TFTLCD.h>
Adafruit_TFTLCD tft(A3, A2, A1, A0, A4);
//#include <MCUFRIEND_kbv.h>
//MCUFRIEND_kbv tft;

uint16_t Control1, eightcolour;
uint16_t ID;

void setup(void)
{
    Serial.begin(9600);
    tft.reset();
    ID = tft.readID();
    Serial.print("TFT ID = 0x");
    Serial.println(ID, HEX);
    tft.begin(ID);
    tft.fillScreen(0x0000);
    if (ID == 0xB509) Control1 = tft.readReg(0x00B);
    else Control1 = tft.readReg(0x007);
}

void loop(void)
{
    uint16_t start, y, incr, color;
    uint16_t height, width;
    width = tft.width();
    height = tft.height();
    incr = height / 3;
    tft.setTextColor(0xFFFF);
    tft.setCursor(0, start = 0 * incr);
    tft.print("Red");
    for (start += 16, y = 0; y < 64; y++) {
        color = tft.color565(y << 2, 0, 0);
        tft.drawLine(0, start + y, width, start + y, color);
    }
    tft.setCursor(0, start = 1 * incr);
    tft.print("Green");
        color = tft.color565(0, y << 2, 0);
    }
    tft.setCursor(0, start = 2 * incr);
    tft.print("Blue");
        color = tft.color565(0, 0, y << 2);
    }
#if defined(MCUFRIEND_KBV_H_)
    switch (ID) {
        case 0x0154:
        case 0x7783:
        case 0x9320:
        case 0x9325:
            eightcolour ^= (1 << 3);   //CL
            tft.WriteCmdData(0x0007, Control1 | eightcolour);
            break;
        case 0xB509:
            eightcolour ^= (1 << 0);   //COL
            tft.WriteCmdData(0x000B, Control1 | eightcolour);
            break;
    }
#endif
    tft.setCursor(0, height - 10);
    tft.fillRect(0, height - 10, width, 10, 0x0000);
    tft.print("Controller ID: 0x");
    tft.print(ID, HEX);
    if (eightcolour) tft.print(" 8 colours   ");
    else tft.print(" 65k colours");
    delay(5000);
}

Use my "MCUFRIEND_kbv.h" library if you want to see 8-colour mode. You can find it attached to message#14 ili9488 with tuoch screen - #15 by david_prentice - Displays - Arduino Forum
Comment out the Adafruit_TFTLCD include and constructor. Uncomment the MCUFRIEND_kbv include and constructor.

David.

Thank you David for sharing your discovery.
If the solder is ok I wonder if these chips are defective.

I would guess that it is a manufacturing problem with the physical TFT. After all, it must be pretty difficult to get the variable transmissive response for each primary colour.

The integrated circuit technology tends to either pass or fail. It is when you marry the i.c. electrical signals to the "big" LCD array that must be difficult to align.

Have you tried my sketch? Do you see two distinct sets of green bands?
Do you see more than 4 levels of green?

I can understand "several" bad green shields. It seems unlikely that "all" shields with the "flex at bottom right hand edge" style would fail. The Chinese would have noticed !!!

David.

Tested.

Yes, I see two green bands and it seems that there are few green levels.

Hi,

I spend the last two weeks trying to get the colors right on two of these mcufriend ILI9325 displays from Banggood. I already homed in on green being the issue, but could not put my finger on it yet.
When I run the david_prentice sketch the banding is there as expected. The '555' workaround makes the pictures better in tftbmp, but green is still off.
Seems to me this is not expected behavior...
Would be strange though if a whole batch of these end up in the field unnoticed?

No, I am pretty confident that it is a genuine issue. For a start, BangGood seem to be reluctant to reply to the problem.

Not only BG, but it appears that people have bought these "green feature" displays from other vendors. What would be really interesting is to hear that any boards (II9325 with flex at bottom right) do NOT have a green problem.

Yes, you can mangle the Color565() method to use 2 bits (5-2-5) instead of the proper 6 bits for Green. But this is not an acceptable solution.

David.

I fully agree, 2-bit green is useless. I guess that's what you can get when buying these cheap knock-offs...
I bought these displays for prototyping (€5,-), so it's not the end of the world. Which doesn't mean that I don't want these displays replaced by good ones.
Definitely will buy a real Adafruit display for the final project.
Btw I still have one 2.4" display on the way from BG, should arrive in a week or so. Curious how that one will behave. I'll post an update.

One final remark: The brightness of the display isn't great. I noticed that during a reset with the display already showing a picture, the existing picture on the tft seems to 'light up' and brightness increases significantly. Once the sketch is running, brightness will dimm again. To my knowledge the controlling pin for this is hardwired to gnd and not available for pwm control.
This behavior also doesn't increase confidence to the build quality.
Note: mcufriend.com is currently back up, schematics and an ancient library are available.

Cheers, Michiel

No, the basic design has been available for several years. i.e. 2.4" TFT, resistive Touchscreen and microSD with appropriate level shifter chips for Uno shield.

It has appeared with several different brands of controller chip. It is not much more than soldering a 3.3V bare screen to the red pcb. This is the first time that the red pcb has involved cut-out slots and microflex connectors.

All the previous shields worked just fine. They obviously required slightly different software for the different controller types. In practice they all worked the same. Perhaps with slight cosmetic differences according to the specific TFT manufacture.

Yes, they are cheap. But so are the 3.3V bare modules. I presume that they are the result of the massive phone market.

David.

david_prentice:
I presume that they are the result of the massive phone market.

David.

I agree.
But I wonder why we all three have the same defect on green and not other colour. I bought mine on eBay not Banghood.

As far as I can see, Mcufriend or LcSoft produce some circuit boards. Then several Chinese assembly houses produce the finished products. In turn, several more Chinese companies sell them via Aliexpress or Ebay. Or even local hobbyist shops.

For example. Just look for 2.4" Shield or Usbasp. There must be hundreds of different vendors of what look like "similar" boards.

Regarding the Green. I have no idea. I presume it is a manufacturing fault in the bare TFT. I suspect that the pcb assembly is 100% ok. Quite honestly, BG, DealExtreme or whichever Ebay vendor sold you the duff board, should replace the shield. In practice, they will either keep silent or ask you to return the shield at your expense.

You can open a dispute through Ebay. You will possibly get your money back. With no replacement. i.e. you gamble with another vendor and wait for China Mail.

David.

Wandering about this colour problem I wrote a sketch to test every single bit of colour, using all power of 2.
But the results was not as espected.
For every colour I see only one bar instead of many. Maybe there are errors?

/*
 * A sketch to test all bits in register colour
 * 320*240
 * 2015 09 16
 */
#include <Adafruit_TFTLCD_mcu.h>   //Change this with your library
#include <Adafruit_GFX.h>

#define LCD_CS A3 // Chip Select goes to Analog 3
#define LCD_CD A2 // Command/Data goes to Analog 2
#define LCD_WR A1 // LCD Write goes to Analog 1
#define LCD_RD A0 // LCD Read goes to Analog 0
#define LCD_RESET A4 // Can alternately just connect to Arduino's reset pin

Adafruit_TFTLCD tft(LCD_CS, LCD_CD, LCD_WR, LCD_RD, LCD_RESET);

void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600);
  Serial.println(F("TFT Green Test"));

uint16_t identifier = tft.readID();

tft.begin(identifier);

tft.fillScreen(0);

tft.fillRect(0, 0, 219, 53, 32);
  tft.fillRect(0, 54, 219, 53, 64);
  tft.fillRect(0, 107, 219, 53, 128);
  tft.fillRect(0, 160, 219, 53, 512);
  tft.fillRect(0, 213, 219, 53, 1024);
  tft.fillRect(0, 266, 219, 53, 2048);
  delay(2000);
  tft.fillRect(0, 0, 219, 53, 1);
  tft.fillRect(0, 54, 219, 53, 2);
  tft.fillRect(0, 107, 219, 53, 4);
  tft.fillRect(0, 160, 219, 53, 8);
  tft.fillRect(0, 213, 219, 53, 16);
  tft.fillRect(0, 266, 219, 53, 32);
  delay(2000);
  tft.fillRect(0, 0, 219, 53, 4096);
  tft.fillRect(0, 54, 219, 53, 8192);
  tft.fillRect(0, 107, 219, 53, 16384);
  tft.fillRect(0, 160, 219, 53, 32768);
  tft.fillRect(0, 213, 219, 53, 0xF800);
  tft.fillRect(0, 266, 219, 53, 0x07E0);
}

void loop() {

}

Hi all
I received a mcufriend board with ILI9341 controller.
Until now only white blank screen with every sketch found around the net.
Any clue to get it work?

amaze1:
Hi all
I received a mcufriend board with ILI9341 controller.
Until now only white blank screen with every sketch found around the net.
Any clue to get it work?

Try these Libraries from this Tutorial. It states to be compatable with the following LCD drivers:
ILI9325, ILI9327, ILI9328, HX8347G, ILI9341, HX8357D, S6D0154..

http://www.moleandroid.com/arduino-tutorial-2-how-to-setup-mcufriend-2-4-lcd-tft-libraries-and-avoid-white-screen/

Hopefully these will help get your shield up and running.

Lance.

Added the library by David Prentice. It works!

No, it does NOT work with your ILI9325 shield. Your shield has a hardware problem. Hence the GREEN dog.
I had a similar display from BangGood. Red and Blue were fine. The Green only had 2-bits resolution.

On simple displays like graphicstest Demo, you will not notice. Now try a BMP.

David.

It works but, as you as wrote, I have not tested BMP. But BMP fails with the others libraries too. And maybe it will works with some other shields that doesn't have this hardware problem, I think, without problem with BMP.

Well, I notice that your shield is still available on Ebay. As far as I know, every shield like your photo in message#1 has the Green Dog problem.

Every other Shield should work 100%. However, the current ILI9341 shields that are being shipped by DealExtreme have the EXTC disabled. So you cannot read the ID or use any of the extended registers.

It is always helpful to run the LCD_ID_readreg sketch to identify exactly which controller you have.
Even a write-only shield can reveal itself (or an EXTC=0 shield).

David.

Done!

reg(0x0000) 93 25	ILI9320, ILI9325, ILI9335, ...
reg(0x0004) 00 00 00 00	Manufacturer ID
reg(0x00BF) 00 00 00 00 00 00	ILI9481
reg(0x00D0) 00 33	HX8357
reg(0x00D3) 00 3F 00 3F	ILI9341, ILI9488
reg(0x00EF) 12 31 12 31 12 31	ILI9327

ILI9325 I suppose!

Anyway the image in the ebay page was different from the shield I received. You can find SPI shield in ebay but the photos show a parallel 8 bit shield like mine. It happended to me with other components, sometimes the photo is totally wrong.

Your photo in message #1 matches the shield that I bought from BG.

Ebay vendors do not always have the correct photos on their items. However, if I see an Ebay vendor that is specifically showing your device, I would avoid buying from them.

Just select lowest price from Ebay. Your shield is still there although probably from different vendors to the one that sold yours.

I have never heard of any other shield with the Green Dog feature.

David.