How does the IDE recognize the wifi ports ??

I am afraid nobody is interested in my previous topic of Oct 03, because there are no replies. I would like to reformulate the problem, if I have not been clear.
The question is: How does the IDE recognize the available boards and/or ports on wifi ??
Because I have 6 Yuns on my net, rev1 and rev2, all connected and working. A net-watcher program says they are ok, I can ping them and I have ssh sessions opened on them.
Still, when I run the IDE (1.8.7, but it happens also with 1.6.5) it does not recognize the boards. Some time single ports are seen after 10-15 minutes in the menu' list but after they are not seen when loading the sketch. In the few minutes they are ok I can also load a sketch, but this happens only from time to time, after they disappear .....
Does somebody have any idea, or tell me which test to do more ??
Thanks for any help

I dont normally see that problem here even if I use the CREATE editor. (possibly worth a shot)

But a few minor suggestions if you have not done so already.

Do they all have good WiFi access ?
Are they all on seperate IP's (Single IP's could mean they fight for access)
Have you tried to assign static IP's to each device ?
Type of WiFi ? (AFAIK they dont seem to work with 5G only 2.4G)
Too many devices nearby juggling for a WiFi Channel or other RF interference ?

I would start by checking each devices configuration and comparing them to the next to make sure they match where they should and are different where they might cause issues.

replies to your suggestions:

• The wifi signal is good over 90%
  • the IP assignment is STATIC IP for all the Yun boards
  • wifi type is 2.4
  • actually there are about 20 wifi active devices around, normally they work fine

Yun boards are 5, 3 of them on rev1 and 2 on rev2

In spite of the above replies I tested again the IDE installations : with IDE 1.6.5 r5 I can see all the wifi ports, with IDE 1.8.7 (last rev ??) I can see only the COMx ports. I must add the from time to time 1.8.7 can recognize SOME of the wifi ports, but the connection drops quite soon. In any case the mutual ping is ok and ssh sections are active and ok.

many thanks

IMHO you might want to put up an issue on GITHUB for this one as it may be possible there was a change in the IDE from your information.

Reference back to this post too please.