KiCad files for Arduino boards

Hello

I would like to see Arduino make a change from supplying closed source Eagle files for their Arduino boards on the Arduino website to supplying footprints/modules/schematic parts for KiCad, which is an open source PCB design tool in wide use.

To this dae I've found a couple of 3rd party modules for Arduino MEGA boards, and all the else I have had to drawn myself. Which has been a pain, as there is no dimensioned drawings of the Arduinos available, they are only in the Eagle files (which I'm unable to open).

So, please please please support open source software, as it has no limitations like Eagle does.

I like Eagle, whether it is considered open source or not.

CrossRoads:
I like Eagle, whether it is considered open source or not.

The problem is that it costs a lot and the size restriction etc. make it very limited for the free edition. Why support it, when Arduino and everything around it is open source?

I've spent 3+ years using it, upgraded to pro version, not gonna go back & learn another program now.

The size restriction was not problem for a long time - prices for boards jump a lot once you pass 100mm x 100mm, so 80mm x 100mm was not an issue.

CrossRoads:
I've spent 3+ years using it, upgraded to pro version, not gonna go back & learn another program now.

The size restriction was not problem for a long time - prices for boards jump a lot once you pass 100mm x 100mm, so 80mm x 100mm was not an issue.

One schematic sheet only, 80 x 100 mm board and only with two copper layers. Not t mention the biggest limitation: "Use is limited to non-profit applications or evaluation purposes." I switched after a few years, as it was getting in the way of doing things.

Can't do much with it, some simple stuff yes. Not to mention the backwards usage of Eagle where you had to choose the part you are using when drawing the schematic (maube this has changed in the last 10 years, don't know).

Why impose limits, when there is a better option available that is open for everyone? Would love to see Arduino continue its open source nature by providing more usable information.

If nothing else, please do include drawings of the pinout dimensions, hole locations etc. on each product page.

Not to mention the backwards usage of Eagle where you had to choose the part you are using when drawing the schematic

What? How do you create a schematic if don't start with a part?

CrossRoads:

Not to mention the backwards usage of Eagle where you had to choose the part you are using when drawing the schematic

What? How do you create a schematic if don't start with a part?

Maybe my explanation was worded a little funny (English is my second language). What I mean is that what I remember of Eagle, you had to choose what footprint you want to use when drawing the schematic. In KiCad for example you just use the schematic symbols you want and after you have drawn a schematic, you can then associate each schematic part with a footprint of your choice. That way you can draw a schematic even without knowing what kind of footprints your parts will eventually have, for example I could use the same schematic for through hole mounted parts or SMD parts.

But this is getting off topic, which was Arduino boards as KiCad modules (aka footprints), so that they could be used when designing shields etc.

+1 for KiCad. 8)

KiCad makes a lot more sense to me for an open-source project than Eagle. I have used KiCad to redraw an Arduino schematic, but it was complicated by having to define components for KiCad.

There are Eagle -> KiCad converters, but they don't seem to work well for me. :disappointed_relieved:

Eagle also allows you to change package type after drawing the schematic.
If the parts really vary tho, like 28-pin DIP to 32-pin TQFP, that can be problematic.
If you're just changing resistor sizes, that's a lot simpler.
The biggest learning curve struggle I had with eagle was finding a part to use - there were just so many to choose from - and then finding a parts source. Once I learned how to export a board's worth of symbols, and then downloaded the Sparkfun and Adafruit libraries, things got a lot simpler.
After that, learning to make symbols was a struggle for a while as I wasn't making them frequently enough to remember what I had figured out the previous time. Now I've done quite a few, and translating the mechanical info from the datasheet into an eagle footprint is a breeze.

That's one point more for KiCad: easy and automatic schematic symbol creators, like the one found online. Just give the info needed and it makes the symbol for you, no need to draw pin by pin :slight_smile: Also it is easy to make custom part generators, as all KiCad file formats are text files, unlike Eagles closed binary formats.

Any way, I'm currently drawing some of the Arduino's symbols and footprints and once I'm done, I'll pass the file to public use.

+1 for KiCad, because it's open source. Open Hardware projects have no business depending on closed tools, no matter that some people have wasted/invested a bunch of time learning them.

I created basic Arduino schematic and footprint libraries/modules; if anyone wants them then Google for "open source f/stop timer", the files are all in there.

+1 for Kicad --> AND GERBER FILE.

I never understood why Arduino gives Eagle files.
The only thing we need in 99% of cases it is the scheme, ok it is available in pdf, and implementation of the tracks.
To examine tracks implementation Gerber files are sufficient and they are readable by everyone without the need for proprietary software.

This is what do great actors (NXP, ST, TEXAS, BeagleBord, etc).

Why not Arduino ?

+1 For KiCad. Please use this so that not everyone need buy Eagle. KiCad is also more simple and logical to use. Maybe there should be some open source library on github to provide all the footprints?

I just don't understand why hardware design teams aren't willing to learn entirely new CAD systems just to satisfy the political correctness whims of the end users... :-;

I'd much rather have Eagle files without gerbers than gerber files with design files in a fully proprietary non-free package (ST seems to provide gerbers and Altium CAD files. Bleh.) After all, even the free version of EAGLE can view, print, create gebers from, etc designs that exceed the limits of the free-version editor. (only editing is prohibited, essentially.)

the biggest limitation: "Use is limited to non-profit applications or evaluation purposes."

It's a whopping $69 to remove that limitation (while retaining the size/layer/etc limits.) (Used to be $49. Sigh.)

Of course, the kicker is that the last several times I tried to use KiCAD, I couldn't get it to work. (Yeah, that was a while ago, and I should probably try again.)

Heh, guy on Open Source hardware forum doesn't get the point of Open Source. Nice trolling Sir :slight_smile:

But, I hesitate to recommend Kicad nowadays because while it used to be quirky with a clunky GUI but fairly bug free, the devs seem intent on introducing features no-one really needs, and making it even harder to use, without addressing the clunky interface - but at least it is still free.

Apparently, kicad can now load Eagle files anyway.

I recommend DipTrace. I've been using it for 2 years and I love it. It's quite easy to use, very intuitive and has all the features I need.

What are the features you need ?

What an irony here?

We as a community say we are dedicated and thrive for a revolution with Hardware sector and so we understood how hardware designs should be made free so that it is available for anyone to use that design and that gives freedom for the people. That is the core of Arduino project as we know.

How come this is freedom, when we supply the schematic design that is readable properly only with a closed or non-free software like Eagle?

If as a community, Arduino isn't giving the entire freedom to people without creating a vendor dependency, then what are we committed to? This is no way freedom until the formats compatibility is also liberated.

There is also this one GitHub - freetronics/freetronics_kicad_library: Freetronics KiCad schematic symbol & footprint library

But when we have decided Arduino designs to be free, when we decided Arduino IDE to be Free Software under GNU GPL v2, we should also fix this.

I am very glad someone started this thread. Let us make sure, everyone is heard. +1 for KiCAD or any other Free software for that sake.

Open Hardware Designs + Free Software === Freedom
Open Hardware Designs + Non-free / Closed source Software !== Freedom

+1 For KiCad, Open Standards, Open Source.

+1 for Kicad.

Can you please consider to open source at least the shield so that we can build our own?
That would be great as it is the last lock for using Arduino widely in a real world!