Adding sdfat library

Hal_cat:
Note that moving the SdFat-master to the Arduino Libraries folder does not work.

Correct, but I thought my instructions made it clear that you had to move the SdFat folder from inside of the SdFat-master folder. I'll try to update them to make it more obvious.

Hal_cat:
into the libraries folder or if they're nested in an extra folder."

The SdFat.h and SdFat.cpp files are nested down several levels, and must be in the top directory for the Arduino library manager to recognize them.

When going into the Sketch : Include Library : Manage Libraries dialog and searching for SdFat, it will find nothing until the .cpp and .h files are in top level of the SdFat directory.

Moving all files from SdFat/SdFat/Src to SdFat resolves this issue.

Which version of the Arduino IDE are you using? I'd assume since you mention Arduino 101 it's 1.6.x or later, which supports (and in fact recommends) having the library source files in the src subfolder if there is a library.properties file in the library root folder. As stated in the Arduino Library Specification:

For 1.5.x+-only libraries, the source code resides in the src folder. For example:

Servo/src/Servo.h

Servo/src/Servo.cpp

If you look at the official Arduino libraries you will see most of them have this folder structure.

Hal_cat:
HOWEVER: it will still not link!

Clearly the IDE is not recognizing files in subdirectories.

After a couple of hours trying to figure out how this could easily be fixed (and noting problems with a lack of references to the Arduino 101, I have given up and will just accept that 8.3 file names will be good enough.

Works fine for me.