Multiple shafts rpm measurements

Hey everybody,

I have a project where I have a motor and CVT, I want to log the rpm on both of these shafts with a single arduino along a few other sensors. I know how to get a single RPM with an arduino quite easily but I can not think of how I would be able to do it with two items and have a reasonable "Refresh" rate.
Thanks

Well, don't keep your working code a secret. Let us know what you have tried.

Depending on the RPM and the accuracy required, it should not be hard to measure half a dozen at once. It would require the use of interrupts however. That's a fairly advanced topic.

If you only want to monitor RPM on 2 shafts it will be much easier than for 3 or more - assuming you are using an Uno which has 2 external interrupt pins.

...R

MorganS:
Well, don't keep your working code a secret. Let us know what you have tried.

I have not yet started development of my code yet, I have not been able to think of a way to get the calculate the rpm of the two shafts without slowing down the program. One shaft runs quickly all the time, 500-5000 rpm while the other shaft will be about 0-5000. I will take a look at interrupts.

You could do th rpm measurment with simple hardware.
No time constraints on the processing then

lonski349:
I have not yet started development of my code yet, I have not been able to think of a way to get the calculate the rpm of the two shafts without slowing down the program.

I don't believe you can have an opinion about "without slowing down the program" without having some concept of how the code will work - even if you don't have a testable program.

You need to tell us what that concept is, because we can't read your mind.

...R