Arduino L298N motor driver and Arduino DUE

HI, I'm working on a small tank rover and was wondering if the arduino L298N motor driver will work with Arduino DUE & if so Is the Pin out the same? Also Is there a possible power issue as Arduino due uses 3.3v and not 5v? I have step downs for power from 5v to 3.3. My question with that is Where do i apply my step down. Thanks... Arduino NOOB!

The L298N datasheet states a minimum logic supply voltage of 4.5volt.

There are much better chips out there than that inefficient (on battery power) dinosaur.
Look at the Pololu website for alternatives.
Leo..

My question remains the same. Would That motor driver work with Arduino DUE?

thonsinger71:
My question remains the same. Would That motor driver work with Arduino DUE?

The L298N is made for 5volt logic (4.5volt minimum).
The Due uses 3.3volt logic.
Will it work? Probably not.
If it does, probably not as it should.
Leo..

I've used an L298N in the recent past to control two DC motors, I'd say it worked pretty well. Never tried powering it using my Arduino because I needed the Arduino's power for other modules. What I did to power my L298N was simply connect a 9V battery to the L298N (since it can take well above 5V) and connect the Arduino GND to the L298N's ground. That worked very well for me. Is having an external power source an option for you?

The L298N needs two supplies.
5volt logic/control/signal/power from the Arduino, and a (2.5volt to 42volt) motor supply.
These posts are about the logic part of the chip.
Leo..

Are there two L298N chips, by any chance? I'm looking at mine right now and there is only one power source it's connected to. Mine is this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014KMHSW6/ref=asc_df_B014KMHSW65031838/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B014KMHSW6&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167139094796&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=943389426912174423&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=2840&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-306436938191

You're right. That module has it's own onboard 5volt regulator, derived from the motor supply.
As long as motor supply is more than 6volt (including dips), there will be a stable 5volt for the chip's logic.
I see in the datasheet that logic signals (from the Arduino) can be as low as 2.3volt, so this module should also work with 3.3volt logic.
Leo..

Wawa:
You're right. That module has it's own onboard 5volt regulator, derived from the motor supply.
As long as motor supply is more than 6volt (including dips), there will be a stable 5volt for the chip's logic.
I see in the datasheet that logic signals (from the Arduino) can be as low as 2.3volt, so this module should also work with 3.3volt logic.
Leo..

This is spot on and just what i thought. Im working on also getting this same project to communicate with my arduino uno for more processing power. I'm building a rover tank (Metal) and wish To use this motor driver with my DUE with various sensors and wifi, bluetooth and navigation combined with the uno. I'm also a NOOB so i hope i not to much of a pain with these questions.

approvedcargo91:
I've used an L298N in the recent past to control two DC motors, I'd say it worked pretty well. Never tried powering it using my Arduino because I needed the Arduino's power for other modules. What I did to power my L298N was simply connect a 9V battery to the L298N (since it can take well above 5V) and connect the Arduino GND to the L298N's ground. That worked very well for me. Is having an external power source an option for you?

I have NO issues at all using more batteries. Im planning on using LIPOs. Or hoping to get some thoughts on using a LONG LASTING battery to power this project.

The downside of the L298 is that has a significant dropout voltage (2.5-4volt).
So if you use a 7.2volt battery, don't expect more than ~5volt available for your motors.
You're basically carying half a LiPo battery around to heat up the motor driver.
Leo..