CDI tester project

With more delay, degree should be less.

Not really. Think of a one armed clock with the arm sweeping around. If the trigger goes off when the hand is at 12 and the signal comes back when the hand is at 1, then the delay of the response is 1/12 = 30 degrees. If the pulse comes back when the hand is at 2 then the delay of the response is 2/12 = 60 degrees. If the pulse comes back when the hand is at 3 then the delay of the response is 3/12 = 90 degrees.

If you understand degrees retarded better than degrees delayed it seems like an ok term to use.

Hi, Yes you are right, but in the beginning I was, and still do think of it as advance. That is because I come from the world of engines and mechanical things as well as electronics. It has to do with the way "advance" is arrived at, using delay from a predetermined spot which is the most advanced that the spark will ever occur at high rpm. So I will think of it as degrees retarded, no problem, it makes it simple and then there is not the issue of calibrating for each different cdi.

With the test board, the degrees seem to make sense now, being approx what I expect, I need to install the switch for mode. I still don't really understand why with a cdi of no delay, the measurement of delay is from 96 to 136.

With test board set to 0 main shows 16 in the F mode, and with test set to 5100 main shows 5116.
With cdi of no delay, main shows 96 to 136, ideally this would be 0. Ideas? It is not important unless it is an easy fix, it may be that for some reason it really does take that long from pulse in to spark out.

Tom

Here is some code for the CDI modules which require the charge pulse. It's pretty will commented but here's a summary.

There is mode switch(pin6) for the charge pulses similar to the switch for trigger edge, but unlike the switch for the trigger edge, it is active in set up only and is not dynamic. Default is to not use the charge pulses. Let me know if that needs changing. I thought you would know which module you were testing.

The 5 charging pulses are turned on and off by an overflow interrupt from Timer2. I use Timer2 to time out the charge pulses, because when I used a micros() software timer (like the the one which controls the display frequency) I saw problems at the higher rpm due to blocking aspects of the code. The charge pulses from Timer 2 are gated by the trigger pulse from Timer1. One issue which came up is that because of the 8 bit limit of Timer2 I could not cover the complete range of charge pulse intervals from 500 to 3800 rpm with one prescaler setting. I chose to limit the lowest rpm in the charging mode to 615 instead of 500. If that is a major problem, let me know and I will try to work out a switch between two prescaler settings for Timer2.

I don't have a scope, and tested as best I could with Serial output, but you will need to check on both the long term timing (synchronization) of the of the charge pulses with the trigger, and the transient behavior on start up with the very first trigger pulses. Beyond the control of timer2 by timer1, I added some additional safety by always writing the charge pulse pin low at the spark trigger, independent of the timer 2 period control.

Take a look at this and get back to me with any questions.

// revision 9 10/24/2016 adds charging pulse with Timer 2
// lowest RPM = 615 with charge pulse to keep OCR2A <= 255
// CDI Tester Pulse Generator Serial Output Arduino Code

int pot1 = A3;            // select the input pin for the pot (changed for this version because of lcd)
int potValue = 0;         // variable to store the value coming from the sensor
int pulseValue = 0;       // 2 variables from one pot
int timerTopValue = 12500;// changed from timerTopValue = 0
int outputPin = 8;        // select the pin for the output for trigger pulse
int chargePin = 7;        // select the pin for the output for charge pulses

volatile boolean trigger = false;
volatile unsigned long delayPeriod;
unsigned long copy_delayPeriod;
volatile unsigned long delayPeriodStart;
float delayDegrees;       // changed from int for decimal place display
int RPM;                                              
volatile boolean interruptFlag;
unsigned long analogReadInterval = 1000; //read pots and map
unsigned long lastAnalogRead;

const byte setFallingSwitch = 5;
char risefall = 'R';   //default rising mode

const byte setChargePulseSwitch = 6;
boolean chargePulse = false ;  //default powered mode

volatile byte timeSliceCount = 0;  //TDC 0 degrees

#include <Wire.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
// set the LCD address to 0x3f for a 20 chars 4 line display
// Set the pins on the I2C chip used for LCD connections:
//                    addr, en,rw,rs,d4,d5,d6,d7,bl,blpol
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3f, 2, 1, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 3, POSITIVE);  // Set the LCD I2C address

void setup() {
  //Serial.begin(115200);
  //Serial.println("starting...");
  lcd.begin(20, 4);         // initialize the lcd for 20 chars 4 lines, turn on backlight
  lcd.setCursor(1, 0);      // lcd display setup of unchanging headings
  lcd.print("RPM:");        // print fixed characters
  lcd.setCursor(11, 0);
  lcd.print("Mode:");       //to display code choice R or F
  lcd.setCursor(1, 1);
  lcd.print("Ms:");
  lcd.setCursor(1, 2);
  lcd.print("Us Delay:");
  lcd.setCursor(1, 3);
  lcd.print("Deg Advance:");

pinMode(outputPin, OUTPUT);            // declare the outputPin as an OUTPUT
  pinMode(chargePin, OUTPUT);            // declare the chargePin as an OUTPUT
  pinMode (setFallingSwitch, INPUT_PULLUP);//check for a LOW input to indicate switch is closed to ground
  pinMode(setChargePulseSwitch, INPUT_PULLUP);

if (digitalRead(setChargePulseSwitch) == LOW)
    chargePulse = true; //AC CDI

//Timer1 default set up .5ms trigger pulse every 50 ms
  TCCR1A = 0;
  TCCR1B = (1 << WGM12);//CTC mode to OCR1A
  OCR1A = timerTopValue;
  TIMSK1 |= (1 << OCIE1A);//interrupt enable compareA
  TIMSK1 |= (1 << OCIE1B);//interrupt enable compareB
  OCR1B = 125; // .5ms trigger pulse width  //sets pulse out width, 500 = 2Ms, 250 = 1Ms, 125 = .5Ms
  TCCR1B |= (1 << CS11) | (1 << CS10); //prescaler 64 4us/tick

//Timer2 default setup charge pulse 12 periods 30 degrees each; only 5 get turned on
  //charge pulse timing interval = Timer1 trigger period/12 = timerTopValue/96
  TCCR2A = 0;
  TCCR2B = 0;
  TCCR2A = 1 << WGM20; //lsb of mode 7 pwm to OCR2A
  TCCR2B = 1 << WGM22; //msb of mode 7 pwm to OCR2A;
  OCR2A = timerTopValue / 96; //96 = 12*4*2 (#periods, prescaler difference, up/down timer mode )
  TIMSK2 = 0;
  TIMSK2 = 1 << TOIE2; //enable overflow interrupt
  // actually start timer in ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect
  //prevent out of sync charge pulse, no prescaler set here

attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(3), delayPeriodTiming, RISING);

}

void loop()
{
  if (millis() - lastAnalogRead >= analogReadInterval)
  {
    lastAnalogRead += analogReadInterval;
    potValue = analogRead(pot1);
    pulseValue = analogRead(pot1);

//Timer2 OCR2A requires max value 255 => 615 lowest RPM
    if (chargePulse)
    {
      RPM = map(potValue, 0, 1023, 615, 3800);
      pulseValue = map(pulseValue, 0, 1023, 97, 16);// to show ms between pulse out on lcd
      //RPM = 615;//for my serial test purposes 615-3800
    }
    else
    {
      RPM = map(potValue, 0, 1023, 500, 3800);
      pulseValue = map(pulseValue, 0, 1023, 120, 16);// to show ms between pulse out on lcd
     // RPM = 500;//for my serial test purposes 500-3800
    }

timerTopValue = 15000000UL / RPM;

if (digitalRead(setFallingSwitch) == LOW) //set Falling
    {
      risefall = 'F';
    }
    else
    {
      risefall = 'R';
    }

lcd.setCursor(6, 0);
    lcd.print("    ");    // print blank spaces to clear old data
    lcd.setCursor(6, 0);
    lcd.print(RPM);

lcd.setCursor(17, 0);
    lcd.print("  ");
    lcd.setCursor(17, 0);
    lcd.print(risefall);    //print R or F at upper right side

lcd.setCursor(5, 1);
    lcd.print("    ");
    lcd.setCursor(5, 1);
    lcd.print(pulseValue);

lcd.setCursor(11, 2);
    lcd.print("       ");
    lcd.setCursor(11, 2);
    lcd.print(copy_delayPeriod);

lcd.setCursor(14, 3);
    lcd.print("      ");
    lcd.setCursor(14, 3);
    lcd.print(delayDegrees, 1);
  }

if (trigger == true && interruptFlag == true )
  {
    trigger = false;
    interruptFlag = false;
    noInterrupts();
    copy_delayPeriod = delayPeriod;
    interrupts();

delayDegrees = 360.0 * (copy_delayPeriod) / (timerTopValue * 4.0);  // for decimal place in degree display                         //value for display to 3 places in us
  }
}

ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect) {
  OCR1A = (timerTopValue);// value to set delay between pulses to trigger cdi
  digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW); //guarantee off charge pin at trigger
  digitalWrite(outputPin, HIGH); //turn on pin 8 trigger

if (risefall == 'R') //switch not set; default Rising trigger
  {
    delayPeriodStart = micros();                                          //start looking for response as pulse rises
    trigger = true;
  }
  //start Timer 2 for charge pulses
  if (chargePulse)
  {
    timeSliceCount = 0;
    TCNT2 = 0;
    OCR2A = timerTopValue/96; //set 12 periods
    TCCR2B |=  1 << CS22 | 1 << CS21; //prescaleer 256 16us/tick
  }
}

ISR(TIMER1_COMPB_vect) {
  digitalWrite(outputPin, LOW);      //turn off pin 8

if (risefall == 'F') //switch set for Falling trigger
  {
    delayPeriodStart = micros();                                          //start looking for response as pulse falls
    trigger = true;
  }
}

void delayPeriodTiming()
{
  delayPeriod = micros() - delayPeriodStart;
  interruptFlag = true;
}

ISR(TIMER2_OVF_vect)
//5 pulses of 30 degrees starting at 60 degrees
//ON at 60,120,180,240,300 = 2,4,6,8,10
//OFF at 90,150,210,270,330 = 3,5,7,9,11
{
  if (timeSliceCount != 0 && timeSliceCount % 2 == 0)
  {
    digitalWrite (chargePin, HIGH);
  }
  else //if (timeSliceCount == 0 || timeSliceCount % 2 == 1)
  {
    digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW);
  }
  timeSliceCount++;

if (timeSliceCount == 12)
  {
    timeSliceCount = 0;
    //stop Timer2 by clearing prescaler bits
    TCCR2B &= ~1<< CS22;
    TCCR2B &= ~1<< CS21;
  }
}

cattledog,

Hi, I looked it over, will try it soon. One question came up yesterday when I tested a CDI that fires from falling edge. It gave long Us delay times like I had before when it was measuring from leading edge. So many CDIs do the same thing in function but with slightly different characteristics!

So I put this 100Us delay in and it fixed it, but any less than 100 did not correct it and more than 100 had no more effect. Just wanted to understand. With the 100Us delay, the Us Delay reads 8 or 12, mostly 12.

ISR(TIMER1_COMPB_vect) {
  digitalWrite(outputPin, LOW);                                          //turn off pin 8
  digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW);                                          //turn off pin 7

if (risefall == 'F')                                                   //switch set for Falling edge of pulse for trigger
  {
    delayMicroseconds(100);                                             // delay for 4518 cdi
    delayPeriodStart = micros();                                        //start looking for response as pulse falls
    trigger = true;
  }
}

void delayPeriodTiming()
{
  interruptFlag = true;
}

One question came up yesterday when I tested a CDI that fires from falling edge. It gave long Us delay times like I had before when it was measuring from leading edge. So many CDIs do the same thing in function but with slightly different characteristics!

When we code for the trigger on the falling edge but the actual trigger is on the leading edge, we get long delay times equal to the fundamental repeating trigger period plus the actual delay. The code did not start looking for the return pulse until after it had arrived and we were catching the next one.

When we code for the trigger on the leading edge, but the actual trigger is on the falling edge, we get delay times equal to the trigger pulse length plus the actual delay. Trigger pulse length was last set at 125 Timer1 counts (each equal to 4 microseconds by prescaler 64) which is 500 microseconds.

When we code for the trigger edge which actually matches the device, we were reading the correct delay.

You are now reporting a new issue in that the code with the falling edge delay measurement start time and the module delay being falling edge triggered you see "large" numbers unless there is a 100 microsecond delay.

First, are you absolutely certain the CDI unit delay is falling edge triggered? How do you know?

If indeed this strangely behaving module were actually rising edge triggered, but measured with falling edge code, the added 100 microsecond delay could push the time at which the delayed pulse was sensed to back after the falling edge and it would measure a small delay.

I can't see any other way that added delay would turn a large measured delay into a small one unless it pushed the arrival of the delayed pulse echo to after the end of the trigger pulse.

What are the actual delay numbers you see, and at what RPM? That data last time was the key to figuring out what was going on.

Have you ever seen issues with the Rising edge triggered code? Have you ever seen issues with Falling edge triggered code and the two Arduino test setup?

Do you know how the modules sense the RPM? We have coded everything based on the premise that the module figures RPM by the time between similar edges and the delayed spark pulse is fired from that edge. But it's conceivable that there are other methods in use.

The delayMicroseconds(100) in the code can only affect the Arudino and its measurement as the trigger pulse was ended before the delay and the real delay is controlled by the module hardware. What does the scope tell us about the relationship between the trigger pulse and when the spark pulse is really being fired?

Adding the delayMicroseconds(100) into the ISR is not good practice and could have unintended consequences for other timing, so its best to figure this out.

cattledog,

Ok, I had time today to look into this and was very surprised by what I found. This was on a CDI that is DC powered meaning it has its own DC to high voltage AC inverter inside. When I looked at it on the scope (like I should have done at first) The signal from the coil primary had an incredible amount of ringing or oscillation after the pulse firing the coil. This was playing havoc with the optocoupler. I put a diode across the coil and completely eliminated this problem. I will have to keep remaining myself that we have fairly established that the software is working very well and problems that arise are outside that scope!!

I really do need to thank you for the help you have provided, I do car audio repair daily so if you ever have a need perhaps I can repay you.

I had a thought about what to use for a 'box' for this all to live in and thought of a dvd duplicator or external cd drive case since they usually have small power supplies with 3.3, 5.0, and 12 volt outputs, and have the available room of 2 or 3 5.25" drives. Is there something else I might consider?

Best, Tom

cattledog,

Initial response is there is nothing on pin 7. Does this require a feedback on pin 3 to start? If so that is a catch 22 since there is no high voltage for the CDI to make a spark.

edit: I see that I need to reset the Arduino after changing the setting. Now testing.

Initial response is there is nothing on pin 7. Does this require a feedback on pin 3 to start?

No charge pulses are independent of any signal on pin 3.

The default is for no charge pulse unless pin 6 (setChargePulsePin) is grounded. Do you have a 2 position switch on pin 6? If not, you can just run a wire from 6 to ground.

OK, but what happens is if the Arduino is running when I jump pin 6 to ground the charge pulses do not start until I reset. If I remove ground from pin 6 the charge pulses do not stop until I reset. It is not a big issue and I still need to work on hardware to turn those pulses into something usable.
Tom

Just discovered that the pulse out on pin 8 has changed. What used to be the on time is now the off time and off time is on time making very long pulses with .5Ms off.

Just discovered that the pulse out on pin 8 has changed. What used to be the on time is now the off time and off time is on time making very long pulses with .5Ms off.

There is nothing I see in the code I wrote which could do that. To confirm, I just went and tested the code posted in #146 with a frequency/duty cycle analysis program I use, and the trigger pulse on pin 8 was indeed the 500us (.5ms) HIGH expected with the low period length determined by the rpm.

Are you running the exact code I posted? If not please post the code you are running.

When you run the code without the pin 6 jumper to ground and the chargePulses are disabled, do you see the pin 8 problem?

Do a "find" on the word "outputPin" and see where it is turned on and off. Is there anything in your hardware which could invert the pulse?

Go back to the version you were last running before the chargePulse modifications. Do you see the pin 8 pulse timing change or is it correct? If indeed you have two versions of code, one of which is correct on/off and the other which is reversed on the same hardware, please post both versions.

Right now, I can't confirm your findings.

Got to take a quick look today, transistor for pulse out had failed and was passing the inverted signal from its driver. It is a 4403 and is rated for 600 ma continuous collector current so I don't know why it failed. Still expecting some Honda CDI with retard in soon so can have real time info on delay reading.
Tom

Hi, I have progressed to a new set of testing where it needs a simple form of a sine wave. A DAC will suffice but I need simple control from the Arduino to do this such as D1=1 D2=0 => zero volt,
D1=1 D2=1 => +12volt, D1=0 D2=0 => -12volt. So I need to use 2 output pins rather than 1. The width of the output should stay the same.

// last change 7/22/18
// 8/17 added code for pulse out width
// 7/14/2017 added correct math and setting for position of pickup
// 10 10/28/2016 adds charging pulse with Timer 2
// lowest RPM = 615 with charge pulse to keep OCR2A <= 255
// CDI Tester Pulse Generator Serial Output Arduino Code

int pot1 = A3; // select the input pin for the pot for rpm
int pot2 = A4; // select the input pin for the pot for pickup location in degrees
int pot3 = A5; // select the input pin for the pot for width of bar on flywheel in degrees
int potValue = 0; // variable to store the value coming from the sensor
int pickupValue = 0; // position of pickup in degrees
int potWidth = 0; // variable to set width of bar on flywheel
int timerTopValue = 12500; // changed from timerTopValue = 0
int outputPin = 4; // select the pin for the output for trigger pulse, changed from 8
int chargePin = 7; // select the pin for the output for charge pulses

volatile boolean trigger = false;
volatile unsigned long delayPeriod;
unsigned long copy_delayPeriod;
volatile unsigned long delayPeriodStart;
float delayDegrees; // changed from int to float for decimal place display
int RPM;
int pickup;
int barWidth;
int pulseWidth;                                            
volatile boolean interruptFlag;
unsigned long analogReadInterval = 250; //read pots and map
unsigned long lastAnalogRead;

const byte setFallingSwitch = 5;
char risefall = 'R'; //default rising mode

const byte setChargePulseSwitch = 6;
boolean chargePulse = false ;  //default dc powered mode

volatile byte timeSliceCount = 0; //TDC 0 degrees

#include <Wire.h>
#include <LiquidCrystal_I2C.h>
// set the LCD address to 0x3f for a 20 chars 4 line display
// Set the pins on the I2C chip used for LCD connections:
//                    addr, en,rw,rs,d4,d5,d6,d7,bl,blpol
LiquidCrystal_I2C lcd(0x3f, 2, 1, 0, 4, 5, 6, 7, 3, POSITIVE);  // Set the LCD I2C address

void setup() {
  //Serial.begin(115200);
  //Serial.println("starting...");
  lcd.begin(20, 4); // initialize the lcd for 20 chars 4 lines, turn on backlight
  lcd.setCursor(1, 0); // lcd display setup of unchanging headings
  lcd.print("RPM:"); // print fixed characters
  lcd.setCursor(12, 0);
  lcd.print("Mode:"); //to display code choice R or F
  lcd.setCursor(1, 1);
  lcd.print("Pos:");
  lcd.setCursor(9, 1);
  lcd.print("Width:");
  lcd.setCursor(1, 2);
  lcd.print("Us Delay:");
  lcd.setCursor(1, 3);
  lcd.print("Deg Advance:");

pinMode(outputPin, OUTPUT); // declare the outputPin as an OUTPUT
  pinMode(chargePin, OUTPUT); // declare the chargePin as an OUTPUT
  pinMode (setFallingSwitch, INPUT_PULLUP); //check for a LOW input to indicate switch is closed to ground
  pinMode(setChargePulseSwitch, INPUT_PULLUP);

if (digitalRead(setChargePulseSwitch) == LOW)
    chargePulse = true; //AC CDI

//Timer1 default set up .5ms trigger pulse every 50 ms
  TCCR1A = 0;
  TCCR1B = (1 << WGM12); //CTC mode to OCR1A
  OCR1A = timerTopValue;
  TIMSK1 |= (1 << OCIE1A); //interrupt enable compareA
  TIMSK1 |= (1 << OCIE1B); //interrupt enable compareB
  OCR1B = 125; //sets trigger pulse width, 500 = 2Ms, 250 = 1Ms, 125 = .5Ms, set to 1250 for 5013 cdi ***************
  TCCR1B |= (1 << CS11) | (1 << CS10); //prescaler 64 4us/tick

//Timer2 default setup charge pulse 12 periods 30 degrees each; only 5 get turned on
  //charge pulse timing interval = Timer1 trigger period/12 = timerTopValue/96
  TCCR2A = 0;
  TCCR2B = 0;
  TCCR2A = 1 << WGM20; //lsb of mode 7 pwm to OCR2A
  TCCR2B = 1 << WGM22; //msb of mode 7 pwm to OCR2A;
  OCR2A = timerTopValue / 96; //96 = 12*4*2 (#periods, prescaler difference, up/down timer mode )
  TIMSK2 = 0;
  TIMSK2 = 1 << TOIE2; //enable overflow interrupt
  // actually start timer in ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect
  // to prevent out of sync charge pulse, no prescaler set here

attachInterrupt(digitalPinToInterrupt(3), delayPeriodTiming, FALLING);

}

void loop()
{
  if (millis() - lastAnalogRead >= analogReadInterval)
  {
    lastAnalogRead += analogReadInterval;
    potValue = analogRead(pot1); //rpm
    pickupValue = analogRead(pot2); // pickup position
    barWidth = analogRead(pot3);  

//Timer2 OCR2A requires max value 255 => 615 lowest RPM
    if (chargePulse)
    {
      RPM = map(potValue, 0, 1023, 615, 10000);  //this section needs 2 pots added to set pickup and pulseWidth **************************
      pickup = 74; //map(pickupValue, 0, 1023, 0, 65); so advance will read based on delay,52 for yamaha 350 2 pu, 74 for 1 pu, 72 for tw200, 25 for 5013
      pulseWidth = (60000000/RPM)/360; //time for 1° in uS
      barWidth = 60; //barWidth = pulseWidth + 1000;  //10 for yamaha 350 2 pu, 60 for 1 pu, 60 for tw200
      //RPM = 615; //for my serial test purposes 615-3800
    }
    else
    {
      RPM = map(potValue, 0, 1023, 500, 3800);
      pickup = 25; //map(pickupValue, 0, 1023, 0, 50); //to set position of pickup so advance will read
      pulseWidth = map(potWidth, 0, 1023, 271, 44); //add Width to non charging case
     // RPM = 500;//for my serial test purposes 500-3800
    }

timerTopValue = 15000000UL / RPM;
    OCR1B = pulseWidth;

if (digitalRead(setFallingSwitch) == LOW) //set Falling
    {
      risefall = 'F';
    }
    else
    {
      risefall = 'R';
    }

lcd.setCursor(6, 0);
    lcd.print("     "); // print blank spaces to clear old data
    lcd.setCursor(6, 0);
    lcd.print(RPM);

lcd.setCursor(18, 0);
    lcd.print("  ");
    lcd.setCursor(18, 0);
    lcd.print(risefall); //print R or F at upper right side

lcd.setCursor(6, 1);
    lcd.print("   ");
    lcd.setCursor(6, 1);
    lcd.print(pickup);

lcd.setCursor(16, 1);
    lcd.print("   ");
    lcd.setCursor(16, 1);
    lcd.print(pulseWidth);

lcd.setCursor(11, 2);
    lcd.print("       ");
    lcd.setCursor(11, 2);
    lcd.print(copy_delayPeriod);

lcd.setCursor(14, 3);
    lcd.print("      ");
    lcd.setCursor(14, 3);
    lcd.print(delayDegrees, 1);   //delayDegrees, 1);
  }

if (trigger == true && interruptFlag == true )
  {
    trigger = false;
    interruptFlag = false;
    noInterrupts();
    copy_delayPeriod = delayPeriod;
    interrupts();

delayDegrees = pickup - (360.0 * (copy_delayPeriod) / (timerTopValue * 4.0)); //for decimal place in deg display.
    }
}

ISR(TIMER1_COMPA_vect) {
  OCR1A = (timerTopValue); // value to set delay between pulses to trigger cdi
  digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW); //guarantee off charge pin at trigger
  digitalWrite(outputPin, HIGH); //turn on pin  trigger

if (risefall == 'R') //switch not set; default Rising trigger
  {
    delayPeriodStart = micros(); //start looking for response as pulse rises
    trigger = true;
  }
  //start Timer 2 for charge pulses
  if (chargePulse)
  {
    timeSliceCount = 0;
    TCNT2 = 0;
    OCR2A = timerTopValue/96; //set 12 periods
    TCCR2B |=  1 << CS22 | 1 << CS21; //prescaleer 256 16us/tick
  }
}

ISR(TIMER1_COMPB_vect) {
  digitalWrite(outputPin, LOW);

if (risefall == 'F') //switch set for Falling trigger
  {
    delayPeriodStart = micros(); //start looking for response as pulse falls
    trigger = true;
  }
}

void delayPeriodTiming()
{
  interruptFlag = true;
}

ISR(TIMER2_OVF_vect)
//5 pulses of 30 degrees starting at 60 degrees
//ON at 60,120,180,240,300 = 2,4,6,8,10
//OFF at 90,150,210,270,330 = 3,5,7,9,11
{
  if (timeSliceCount != 0 && timeSliceCount % 2 == 0)
  {
    digitalWrite (chargePin, HIGH);
  }
  else //if (timeSliceCount == 0 || timeSliceCount % 2 == 1)
  {
    digitalWrite(chargePin, LOW);
  }
  timeSliceCount++;

if (timeSliceCount == 12)
  {
    timeSliceCount = 0;
    //stop Timer2 by clearing prescaler bits
    TCCR2B &= ~1<< CS22;
    TCCR2B &= ~1<< CS21;
  }
}

Hi Tom.

It's nice to hear that you are still in business with the CDI tester. I need to take a day to reacquaint myself with the project. While I'm doing that, can you explain a bit more about what you are doing with the AC output. Is this related to the ignition pulse, the charging pulse, or is a a new third output?

Any wiring diagrams and more information about what you are trying to do will be of help. How will you be working the DAC?

Are you needing to add two switches which will be read to determine the output? Like the mode switch and charging switch set a program path take?

Any wiring diagrams and more information about what you are trying to do will be of help.

I think to use 2 output pins on Arduino, call them D1 and D2. DAC will have 12+ and 12- supply voltage. This is only for the ignition pulse. The pulse width should change with rpm, I think I remember it does that now, and the time between the 2 pulses should change in relation to barWidth.

when all input pins of DAC get a 1 (+5v) the DAC output +12v (if powered by +12)
when all input pins of DAC get a 0 (gnd) the DAC output -12v (if powered by -12)
when pin5 of DAC get a 1 and others got a 0 the DAC output 0v

Then 2 pins of arduino are enough to get pos and neg square pulses and zero volt.
Say you connect D1 to pin 5 and D2 to pins 6,7,8,9,10,11,12 together

Thanks, Tom

I think I understand.

You want a new ignition pulse, on two pins to replace the current single output on pin 4.

It looks like we now get an output pulse on pin 4 of some length and some repeating frequency determined by the RPM setting. It sound like you want to change this to an output on two pins.

The pulse width should change with rpm, I think I remember it does that now, and the time between the 2 pulses should change in relation to barWidth.
when all input pins of DAC get a 1 (+5v) the DAC output +12v (if powered by +12)
when all input pins of DAC get a 0 (gnd) the DAC output -12v (if powered by -12)
when pin5 of DAC get a 1 and others got a 0 the DAC output 0v

What I'm unclear of is how the two outputs to the DAC are timed. Is a +/- varying signal sent from the DAC to the module each cycle. Can you draw a timing diagram of how the 11 00 10 output states are sent to the DAC? Are they all sent in sequence during one output timing cycle?

It would help me if you could draw a timing diagram of the desired output pulses.

Can you explain about "barWidth". This variable does not appear in the previous code we worked on. What is it, and how does it relate to the timing of the 2 pulses.

In this new mode of output to the DAC, will the the return pulse from the module and the reading on the pin 2 interrupt be unchanged?

Will the charge pulse code be unchanged?

It's been awhile :confused:

cattledog:
I think I understand.

You want a new ignition pulse, on two pins to replace the current single output on pin 4.

Yes

It looks like we now get an output pulse on pin 4 of some length and some repeating frequency determined by the RPM setting. It sound like you want to change this to an output on two pins.

The length of the existing pulse is determined by barWidth I think. So the 2 new pulse array must replace >that in such a way that it tells the DAC to output a pos pulse and then after a time determined by barWidth >output a neg pulse, then no pulse until it repeats. i have to determine what the pulse width should be.

What I'm unclear of is how the two outputs to the DAC are timed. Is a +/- varying signal sent from the DAC to the module each cycle. Can you draw a timing diagram of how the 11 00 10 output states are sent to the DAC? Are they all sent in sequence during one output timing cycle?

In this simplest control of the DAC it has 3 states of output, 0 volt, pos volt, neg volt.

It would help me if you could draw a timing diagram of the desired output pulses.

attached is something that may help. MSB is DAC pin 5 and all others are 6 thru 12 tied together.

Can you explain about "barWidth". This variable does not appear in the previous code we worked on. What is it, and how does it relate to the timing of the 2 pulses.

It is the width of the bar that passes past the pickup coil. Some engines it is just a short bar and only >serves to make a short pulse where they are only interested in the positive component of the signal. These >generally have two pickup coils and two short bars. In this case I am only interested in one of the positive >pulses so I set the barWidth to small value. Other times the bar can be 60° long and the negative pulse is >at the beginning and then the positive is at the end of bar which has just one pickup coil. For this I set the >barWidth to a higher value, usually the bar length in degrees plus the base timing so 74 is a normal setting.

In this new mode of output to the DAC, will the the return pulse from the module and the reading on the pin 2 interrupt be unchanged?

I think the answer is yes.

Will the charge pulse code be unchanged?

Yes

It's been awhile :confused:

Yes for me also, I tend to forget a lot of what I have learned doing this!!

here is a representation of the DAC control.

Maybe this also helps, I ask a friend with a similar interest and he said.

How wide should the on time of each pulse I send to the DAC be?

The answer is: "it depend !"

For having Zero volt , DAC need 10 (MSB pin at 1 , others at 0)
Leave MSB pin at 1 , others at 0 as long as you want a 0volt, about 350degres (so most of the time)

The time MSB is 1 and other are 1 too to produce a +12v is up to you.
If you want a 1ms pickup, then those 2 pins must not move during 1ms

Personally , I decided that ONE pulse last 10degree so the code is :

• send 10 to produce 0volt

• for positive pickup: send 11 to produce +12v

• wait (PERIOD/360) * 10 (PERIOD is in ms)

-wait 'barWidth' millisecond you want

-send 00 to produce -12v
-wait (PERIOD/360) * 10 (PERIOD is in ms)

That's it , then wait for the next rotation

Do I use 'barWidth' for beginning of pulse to end of the other, or between the 2 pulses.

between the 2 pulses

OK, I think I have it. I'll express things in degrees, and the event timing will be changed by RPM.

First, you will need a switch to set the AC trigger mode. This will be similar to the RISE/FALL switch and the CHARGEPULSE mode switch. Do you have this switch installed already?

Personally , I decided that ONE pulse last 10degree

In the AC Trigger mode you want the + and - pulses each to be 10 degrees long, separated by 60 degrees. We can make those values adjustable by a pot, but these sound like default starting values. I think you already have a pot 3 for bar width.

Other times the bar can be 60° long and the negative pulse is >at the beginning and then the positive is at the end of bar

You have also described and drawn the pulse train as starting with a positive 12 volts. i.e. +12v for 10 degrees, 0v for bar width(60) degrees, -12v for 10 degrees, 0v for remainder of the timing cycle.

What pulse do you want to lead with?

You will need to determine where you want the return pulse delay measurement to start. At present the RISE/FALL switch controls whether delay timing starts with the rise of the trigger or the fall of the trigger. With the AC trigger and the bar width, you will need to establish the the start of timing for the return.

I'm pretty sure you have a scope to measure output pulses. I think I will try to write a simple piece of test code at 1200 rpm (50 ms cycle timing). 50/360 = .139 milliseconds/degree or 140 microseconds/degree to use a nice round number. Let me know if you want to lead with 00 (-12v) or 11(+12v) and I will try to write some code which outputs the pulse train.

Do you have arduino pin numbers you want me to use for D1 and D2?