Powering 289 WS2812Bs

I have approx. 5m ws2812b strip (289 leds total). As far as i understand when they at full bright. in white color, they require 18 amps. I dont want to divide them. I read a solution where you disconnet the 5v connections and leave the Din s and gnd s, then wiring them individualy with 5v 2a chargers. That means i have to use so many chargers and cables plus i dont want cables to be seen. So my solutions is getting a 5v 20a power supply, like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/Switching-Power-Supply-Driver-Transformer/dp/B009I9ZQ6C . Leds work with 5 volts, but what about amps ? Can i use 20 or 30 amp supply ?

Leds work with 5 volts, but what about amps ?

Each LED takes about 60mA fully on, so 289 * 0.06 = 17.34 Amps.

Can i use 20 or 30 amp supply ?

Yes it won't matter much.

However that is a lot of actual light, do you want them that brightness. There is a global brightness control in most libraries, set that brightness to 0.5 and you will only use half the current and so need only have as much capability in your power supply.

I have just been running 185 LEDs from the USB power because my application only has two LEDs on at any one time.

Thanks for your reply. Im using them like ambiance lighting, so in low bright. there is no point. My other concern is heating the power supply. I was thinking getting a 30a one with fan for cooling, but will it burn the leds or wii they use just 18 amps out of 30 ?

will it burn the leds or wii they use just 18 amps out of 30 ?

They will use just the current they want, in this case 18A.

Otherwise when you plug a bedside light into a mains socket the light would burn out because you can also plug in a 1Kw electric heater into the same socket.

Grumpy_Mike:
They will use just the current they want, in this case 18A.

Otherwise when you plug a bedside light into a mains socket the light would burn out because you can also plug in a 1Kw electric heater into the same socket.

Thank you so much, have a nice day.

Also note that the LED strip itself is not rated for 18 A - or even 10 A.

You need to parallel a decent paired power cable - at least 2 mm2 copper each conductor - along the strip in order to feed it at both ends as well as "tapping in" to 5 V and ground at least every metre along the way.

Ensure all power cables are run as twin cable - both ground and 5 V together and similarly, data and corresponding ground cables are also twinned from the start of the LED strip back to the Arduino. Or more likely, data, ground and 5 V all together from the start of the LED strip back to the Arduino in order to power it with 5 V.