Question about method of steering

I am new to all this. I'm still educating myself about Arduino.
I'd like opinions on methods of steering a 4 wheeled RC object that I wish to build. It will weigh between 50-80 lbs once built.
I'm going to use (1) 24V motor for locomotion of one axle. Thinking of using an Arduino UNO, (unless someone suggests otherwise).
What method would be best for steering on the other axle, with a range of 90 degrees or less? (servos or ???) I'd also like to make the angle variable and steer with a joystick.

I imagine it would be possible to get a servo that would be capable of operating the steered wheels. Very powerful servos are available, if needed.

A servo will be the easiest option mechanically, electrically and program-wise.

...R

You have not explained your vehicle layout unambiguously. How many wheels per axle?

And it will help us help you if you tell us more about your project.
What it this RC vehicle intended to do?
What kind of terrain will or cover? (rolling on hardwood floors is a lot easier that over grass)

Greenhorn:
I am new to all this. I'm still educating myself about Arduino.
I'd like opinions on methods of steering a 4 wheeled RC object that I wish to build. It will weigh between 50-80 lbs once built.
I'm going to use (1) 24V motor for locomotion of one axle. Thinking of using an Arduino UNO, (unless someone suggests otherwise).
What method would be best for steering on the other axle, with a range of 90 degrees or less? (servos or ???) I'd also like to make the angle variable and steer with a joystick.

Are you just pivoting a solid axle, or are you turning wheels with linkage between them? 90 degrees on either is a pretty tremendous range, or do you mean 45 degrees each way?

Paul

I am making a RC lawnmower. Steering one solid axle, so yes, 45 deg range would suffice.

Greenhorn:
I am making a RC lawnmower. Steering one solid axle, so yes, 45 deg range would suffice.

OK, do you need electronic feedback or is visual ok?

Paul

Greenhorn:

That sounds very crude. But maybe I misunderstand what you have in mind? Post a diagram of your proposed machine?

if you can't make proper steering of the two wheels (like on a car) wouldn't it be easier to make a 3-wheeled machine with two driven wheels and one steered wheel?

...R

Please do continue to explain.

Do you imaging steering like on a car - Ackermann steering?

I have thought about how a lawn more robot (or RC like you mentioned) could be designed.
I like 4 wheel steering, 4 wheel drive, similar to this agricultural machine.

go to about 0:50

Or this: BoniRob - YouTube

More 4WD/4WS goodness here: Catalyst : ABC iview (this link may expire soon).

I would like to know what to use for the steering servos - they appear quite compact, almost like a vertical-axis hubmotor. Possibly a really big stepper? I too have an autonomous lawnmower in mind. They would have to go +/-90 degrees for maximum maneuverability, like being able to go sideways or spin.