Neo6m GPS not connecting to satellite

Hi guys I bought a new Neo6m GPS of Amazon. I am trying to get a satellite lock but it is not locking. I have put the GPS outside for like 30 mins but not able to get a lock. I have googled my question a lot of times and people say to,put it outside. Is my GPS bad or should I just wait. Plz help me on this. And I have not yet uploaded any code into my arduino. I am using a arduino 101, I can also use a uno or mega which ever is the best.

Which antenna are you using? Post a link to the GPS you bought on Amazon.
If you haven't uploaded code, how do you know that the GPS doesn't lock?

Pete

So there is a led on the pcb which blinks trying to connect to satellite if it is solid then it has connected. I did upload some example code from tinygps library. It is showing gps not connected.

That's not how mine works. When the LED is on solid, it indicates that it is powered but not locked on yet. When it starts blinking, it has locked on and the NMEA GPRMC sentence will be reporting Lat/Long and date/time.

Pete

P.S. Just fired up a neo-6m from a cold start (hasn't been powered for several days) using this active external antenna. It takes about 30 seconds to go from nothing to locked on.

Pete

There are two leds on mine. One is for power and the other for satellite connection. The link is https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01H5FNA4K/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It looks like yours should perform better than with the supplied antenna. The antenna that came with mine is useless. Even when I'm upstairs near a window, it won't lock on.
I'm afraid I don't know what else you can try. As long as you have wired power and ground correctly, it should lock on eventually even if Tx and Rx are the wrong way round.
How are you powering it?

Pete

The NEO-6M has only one "blinking output" and that is the Time Pulse pin, which will be activated only if the unit is locked on to GPS satellites.

If the unit has been moved a great distance, or has not previously locked on to satellites, it can take up to 15 minutes to get the initial fix (despite the manufacturer's claims).

For that to work, you need to be outside, with a clear view of the sky.

Thanks for your help. I have found a solution for this problem in another thread. GPS Arduino !HELP! - Programming Questions - Arduino Forum

What was the solution?

Pete

I could not get anything printed but now I can print atleast the NMEA sentence. But now when I use the TinyGPS++ library I cannot print anython on the serial monitor. Can anybody please tell me how to get my lat and long printed, using the TinyGPS++ library or any other library. The serial monitor is blank and I get no errors.

Post your code and wiring diagram.

Try NeoGPS. It's smaller, faster, more accurate and more reliable than all other GPS libraries. Even if you don't use it, there are lots of tips on the Troubleshooting page. Be sure to read about choosing a serial port for the GPS device. That's especially important.

Can anybody please tell me how to get my lat and long printed

The NeoGPS example NMEAsimple.ino will only print the lat/lon and altitude.

NeoGPS is available from the Arduino IDE Library Manager, under the menu Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries. Be sure to follow the Installation instructions, as they mention many possible problems that aren't described by other libraries' documents.

-dev:
Try NeoGPS. It's smaller, faster, more accurate and more reliable than all other GPS libraries. Even if you don't use it, there are lots of tips on the Troubleshooting page. Be sure to read about choosing a serial port for the GPS device. That's especially important.
The NeoGPS example NMEAsimple.ino will only print the lat/lon and altitude.

NeoGPS is available from the Arduino IDE Library Manager, under the menu Sketch -> Include Library -> Manage Libraries. Be sure to follow the Installation instructions, as they mention many possible problems that aren't described by other libraries' documents.

I second this. I was working with the Ublox Neo-8 and had the same problem. I was using the TinyGPS unit and was so frustrated. I thought I had faulty units. I went to this forum and got the same suggestion of the NeoGPS library. I tried the examples and POOF! It worked. For some reason this line of GPS doesn't work well with TinyGPS. Good luck!

aaronp12345:
For some reason this line of GPS doesn't work well with TinyGPS.

I find TinyGPS++ very reliable and easy to understand.

The more modern UBLOX GPS do start up in GLONASS mode, which TinyGPS does not natively recognize, but that just requires that you tell the GPS not to use GLONASS mode.

Hi guys I bought a new Neo6m GPS module from Amazon. I am trying to get a satellite lock but it is not locking.
There are 2 LED'S in neo6m one for power and other for satellite lock.
problem : I'm not getting latitude and longitude values because Serial.available () is returns 0 can any one help me please

Hi guys I bought a new Neo6m GPS module from Amazon. I am trying to get a satellite lock but it is not locking.
problem : I'm not getting latitude and longitude values because Serial.available () is returns 0 can any one help me please

How is it connected?

What sketch are you using?

Maybe you should read How To Use This Forum.

anil801999:

The satellite lock LED on the GPS, should indicate a lock, if the GPS is outside and there are good signals.

Apart from connecting the power to the GPS, there should be no need to connect the GPS to an Arduino for this to carry out this basic check.

Connection
Vcc to vcc(5v)
Gnd to gnd
Pin 3 to RX
Pin 4 to TX