Arduino on Xcode Project — Official Thread

I still haven't figured out all my compile error problems on a new install; maybe #include "Arduino.h" will fix it. But I can compile okay if I remove all the libraries from my library folder, which I've done for the time being. But I seem to be having a problem with the Automatic Procedure. I Created a new project (test4) as described in step 3.1 and select Build as my target then Run.
I didn't get any build errors, but when I compared my project to step 3.1.2, I see that the identity and type for test4.ino is still plain text. It didn't change the settings in the External Build Tool Configuration and didn't add the Arduino directories under sketchbook. It's like the Automatic Procedure isn't running.

Thank you for answering this two questions survey.

The answers will help me to focus on the most popular platforms.

Survey: http://rei-vilo.polldaddy.com/s/using-embedxcode-with

ScottG:
I seem to be having a problem with the Automatic Procedure. I Created a new project (test4) as described in step 3.1 and select Build as my target then Run.
I didn't get any build errors, but when I compared my project to step 3.1.2, I see that the identity and type for test4.ino is still plain text. It didn't change the settings in the External Build Tool Configuration and didn't add the Arduino directories under sketchbook. It's like the Automatic Procedure isn't running.

Any suggestions for me? I'd really like to get this working. It seems like the Automatic Procedure isn't running.

ScottG:

ScottG:
I seem to be having a problem with the Automatic Procedure. I Created a new project (test4) as described in step 3.1 and select Build as my target then Run.

Any suggestions for me? I'd really like to get this working. It seems like the Automatic Procedure isn't running.

Could you please send me a copy of the log navigator when you launch the Build? Feel free to use the contact form at http://embedxcode.weebly.com/contact.html.

What's the log navigator?

ScottG:
What's the log navigator?

Please find the screen capture attached.

Sorry, but I can't provide support for Xcode.

I strongly recommend you to refer to the book Xcode 4 Unleashed by Fritz F. Anderson I purchased thanks to contributions.

If I can get this working, I'll definitely get the book and learn xcode. Arduinos are the only thing I program, so I don't want to invest time in learning xcode if I can't get this working.

Attached is a screenshot of the log and also I cut and pasted it into a text file.

xcode build log.txt (136 KB)

The build log you sent me is successful.

As detailed in §3.1. Automatic Procedure,

However, as the automatic procedure can only be launched once, they are detailed in the next section.

Please create a new project and send me the build log of the very first build.

avenue33:
Please create a new project and send me the build log of the very first build.

See attached

Xcode Log for test7.txt (122 KB)

The light is green so compilation is successful.

avenue33:
The light is green so compilation is successful.

I know, but EmbedXCode didn't do any of the stuff described in step 3.1.2. The automatic procedure is supposed to prepare the project by adding setting the file type for .ino files to C++, setting click to error , adding core libraries etc. It didn't do any of those things.

Ok. Create a new project and then go inside

folder_for_Xcode_projects/embed1/embed1/Utilities

and check if embedXcode_prepare is inside.

Once you have launched the first compilation, embedXcode_prepare is used and then deleted.

Capture d’écran 2013-04-08 à 18.25.59.png

avenue33:
Ok. Create a new project and then go inside

folder_for_Xcode_projects/embed1/embed1/Utilities

and check if embedXcode_prepare is inside.

Once you have launched the first compilation, embedXcode_prepare is used and then deleted.

I created Test8 and I do see embedXcode_prepare. It's also in my previous project (test7), but it's colored red, maybe that means it's deleted. Attached are screen shots for both.

For test8, could you please launch Build and send me the history log.

avenue33:
For test8, could you please launch Build and send me the history log.

see attached

embedxcode test8 log.txt (135 KB)

At last, after 5 days of research and endless posts, the key element is

/bin/sh: line 1: 38998 Segmentation fault: 11  Utilities/embedXcode_prepare /Users/Scott/Documents/Arduino_OLD/Test8/Test8.xcodeproj

I guess this was caused by embedXcode_prepare running on OS X 10.7.

Now, I've compiled embedXcode_prepare specifically for OS X 10.7 and released a new version of embedXcode

embedXcode • Apr 08, 2013 release 38 • embedXcode_prepare for OS X 10.7

I tested it successfully on my OS X 10.8 Mac.

As always,
• Download: http://embedxcode.weebly.com/download
• User guide: http://embedxcode.weebly.com/tutorial

Enjoy :slight_smile:

avenue33:
At last, after 5 days of research and endless posts, the key element is

/bin/sh: line 1: 38998 Segmentation fault: 11  Utilities/embedXcode_prepare /Users/Scott/Documents/Arduino_OLD/Test8/Test8.xcodeproj

I guess this was caused by embedXcode_prepare running on OS X 10.7.

Now, I've compiled embedXcode_prepare specifically for OS X 10.7 and released a new version of embedXcode

embedXcode • Apr 08, 2013 release 38 • embedXcode_prepare for OS X 10.7

I tested it successfully on my OS X 10.8 Mac.

It's working now, thanks for the update!! Now I can get back to my original problem where the build is failing when I have user libraries installed. I'm hoping #include "Arduino.h" fixes that issue.

Now that Xcode compiles without errors I've started adding my user libraries back to my \library folder. Most of the libraries compile fine, but not all. The first one I'm trying to tackle is DallasTemperature.h. Arduino.h is already included, so that shouldn't be the problem. The library works fine in Arduino IDE 1.0.4, I compiled a couple of the example sketches without errors in the Arduino IDE.

Attached are some of the errors and the library file.

DallasTemperature_372Beta.zip (22.9 KB)

ScottG:
Now that Xcode compiles without errors I've started adding my user libraries back to my \library folder. Most of the libraries compile fine, but not all. The first one I'm trying to tackle is DallasTemperature.h. Arduino.h is already included, so that shouldn't be the problem. The library works fine in Arduino IDE 1.0.4, I compiled a couple of the example sketches without errors in the Arduino IDE.

Until I can figure out why the DallasTemperature library won't compile on xcode I'm trying to exclude it, I added it the the makefile:
EXCLUDE_LIBS = Firmata WiFi Esplora OneWire DallasTemperature

But that didn't help, xcode still gives me the same errors when I run Build.

I'm trying to follow step 3.2.2 (Declare Sources for Code Sense) in the manual, but the screenshots are really blurry and I can't figure out what to do. I attached a screen shot of what I think is the target index and build phases pane. But I don't see an add items button There is an add Target, but that doesn't seem to be the same. I Googled around for help, but didn't find anything.

Screen Shot 2013-04-09 at 9.18.57 PM.png