How Arduino caught me

Hi all,
my name is Giovanni Giorgi, I am a 37 years old software architect (mostly a Java guru).

I have discovered Arduino a month ago. I have never used breadbords, leds and so on.
It was simply too difficult to do stuff, coded them and then test.
Arduino is very easy to use, and I was able to do a small proximity sensor after only two hours of study, trial and errors.
Aduino rocks because it is well balanced: coding and assempling the device is a two-phase activity, and it is split very well. It is easy to understand how to assembly a circuit, and then how to control it.
C++ is not my preferred languages, but I have found plenty of libraries on the Playground.
The Arduino ecosystem is the very added-value: Arduino is easier to code then other stuff I have seen (also in pure IT field).
Also the hardware is very pluggable: you can buy sensors, servo and assembly them in a very fast way.
You can go from an idea to a prototype in minutes, and this rocks!

Welcome aboard and I'm glad you're enjoying the experience! Maybe as a "Java guru" you can help out in some way on the IDE (which is Java-based)...

:slight_smile:

Welcome! Most newbies posted their first article crying for help. Hey, you can help a lot on this forum. Lots of arduino projects involve communicating with software on a computer. Check this out:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,12.0.html

I am using Processing, a programming environment based on Java. I can't say I'm very good with Java but you could help many with your expertise :smiley:

Being a Java Guru, You have lot of chance to contribute to us to get our interfacing of hardware done.
In india, We distribute arduino products http://tenettech.com
Most users are of Electronics background searching assistance in coding from expertise.
Welcome to the world of Arduino.
Cheers,
Bala
tenet technetronics

daitangio:
Hi all,
my name is Giovanni Giorgi, I am a 37 years old software architect (mostly a Java guru).

I have discovered Arduino a month ago. I have never used breadbords, leds and so on.
It was simply too difficult to do stuff, coded them and then test.
Arduino is very easy to use, and I was able to do a small proximity sensor after only two hours of study, trial and errors.
Aduino rocks because it is well balanced: coding and assempling the device is a two-phase activity, and it is split very well. It is easy to understand how to assembly a circuit, and then how to control it.
C++ is not my preferred languages, but I have found plenty of libraries on the Playground.
The Arduino ecosystem is the very added-value: Arduino is easier to code then other stuff I have seen (also in pure IT field).
Also the hardware is very pluggable: you can buy sensors, servo and assembly them in a very fast way.
You can go from an idea to a prototype in minutes, and this rocks!

So tell us something we don't already know. :smiley:

Just kidding, welcome aboard the forum.

Lefty

retrolefty:
So tell us something we don't already know. :smiley:
Just kidding, welcome aboard the forum.

Glad you ask!
I have started to write some basic tutorials. They are in italian, but I plan to do some others in english:
http://gioorgi.com/tag/arduino/
Bye :smiley:

I have a very nice Arduino serial board from Mouser for a very good price. The components that I used for the board brought the cost of a stuffed board to around $12. It's very powerful, a lot of MIPS for the dollars, and going up the ladder a little bit in capabilities didn't cost any extra. It was easy to find things to plug into, thanks to this forum and Sparkfun. It would be a good idea to be more explicit about where to get the six pin IDC connectors for the programming header.

daitangio:
Glad you ask! I have started to write some basic tutorials. They are in italian, but I plan to do some others in english:
arduino | Gioorgi
Bye :smiley:

@daitango, I was able to read some of that, with Google Chrome's help... Interesting stuff about library development.

Next year I'll be moving to Genoa, so I will need to practice more my Italian-Geek-Arduino phrases 8)

May I link to your tutorials? My site is http:/yourduino.com and I hope to link to tutorials in a few languages.. Chinese will be one.

For sure you can link the tutorial :slight_smile: and thanks!