exec: "cmd": executable file not found in %PATH%

First time time using Arduino 101 trying to load the Blink sketch!!

Here is the end of the error message.

"C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\tools\arc-elf32\1.6.9+1.0.1/bin/arc-elf32-gcc" -nostartfiles -nodefaultlibs -nostdlib -static -Wl,-X -Wl,-N -Wl,-mcpu=quarkse_em -Wl,-marcelf -Wl,--gc-sections "-TC:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\arc32\1.0.7\variants\arduino_101/linker_scripts/flash.ld" "-Wl,-Map,C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.map" -o "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/Blink.ino.elf" "-LC:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp" "-LC:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\Intel\hardware\arc32\1.0.7\variants\arduino_101" -Wl,--whole-archive "-larc32drv_arduino101" -Wl,--no-whole-archive -Wl,--start-group "-larc32drv_arduino101" -lnsim -lc -lm -lgcc "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp\sketch\Blink.ino.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp\core\variant.cpp.o" "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp/core\core.a"
cmd /C copy /y "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp\Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp..\arduino101_sketch.debug.elf"
Error compiling for board Arduino/Genuino 101.

Thanks for the help!!

Ralph

I added C:\Windows\System32\ to the path, that is where cmd.exe is.

And rebooted I see it in the PATH prompt.

I tried running the command from the command line:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>cmd /C copy /y "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp\Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp..\arduino101_sketch.debug.elf"
1 file(s) copied.

That is successful.

But I still cannot upload the Blink sketch!

This is the first suggested upload in the Arduino 101 getting started instructions.

The error is:

cmd /C copy /y "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp\Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp..\arduino101_sketch.debug.elf"

I just purchased the Arduino 101 from Adafruit should I return it?

Ralph

Woops I had run the command as a administrator and it work.

If I run it as a user not administrator it fails!!

C:\Users\Ralph>cmd /C copy /y "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp\Blink.ino.elf" "C:\Users\Ralph\AppData\Local\Temp\build9c9ef3bdfe2fccb480bc6e4bac749e41.tmp..\arduino101_sketch.debug.elf"
'cmd' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

So how do I tell the IDE to run as a administrator?

Or how do I give a user permission to run cmd?

I tried to run the IDE as an Administrator but it still fails!!

right click the Arduino icon and select "Run as Administrator"

Perhaps some details may be in order. What operating system etc. are you using? How do you have Arduino installed?

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum

What version of the IDE are you trying to use?

There is a section in this forum called "Installation and Troubleshooting" that would probably be more helpful.

Tom... :slight_smile:

Thanks for the replies.

Sorry I am running Windows 10 x64. It was suggested I revert back to a older stable version of Arduino

so I am now running 1.6.9.

I can load sketches with my Arduino Nano and Uno without problems.

It is only with the Arduino 101 that I have a problem even with the 1.6.9 build!!

The problem is that the Arduino Compiler "User" cannot run "cmd"!!

I tried running the failed cmd command:

from the command line as an "Administrator" and it works!!

If I run it from the command line as a "User" it fails!!

That is what is happening with the IDE compiler, it does not have permission to run cmd!!

Am I the only one trying to run the Arduino 101, seems strange no one else has seen this problem.

I think you may be in UAC hell? When users and admins see different files in given locations, that's usually where you are. Look up UAC File and Registry Virtualization - it can interfere with modifying files in certain protected locations, with result being that different users will see different files in those locations. I haven't looked down the rabbit hole in Win10 with Arduino - I haven't had that problem.

It may well be that some other thing that happened on your system resulted in the strange state of affairs. It wouldn't surprise me if someone or something got the bright idea to try to get rid of cmd.exe (either security software trying to keep users from breaking their computer, or malware trying to make it harder for users to fix their computer)

It's certainly not a problem I've seen go by on these forums before - it sounds to me like a system issue, not something specific to arduino.

Hi
Did you install from the downloaded zip or the downloaded exe install file?

Tom... :slight_smile:

DrAzzy, I believe you are correct for all I know it might be Norton security protecting me from myself.

TomGeorge, I used the download .exe installer!

Solution:

Version 1.0.7 and 1.0.6 of the Intel Curie Boards by Intel fail!!

Version 1.0.5 WORKS!!

How would one tell Intel of the problem?

Thanks for the replies,

Ralph

There is a dedicated Arduino 101 forum!!

Also Github!!

What is the solution for this error.

exec: "cmd.exe": executable file not found in %PATH%
Error compiling for board NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module).

Simple add path :\Windows\System32 to the PATH variable and reboot PC

1 Like