AVR Dragon

Hello there,

I recently have an AVR Dragon and I plan to program these Arduinos on with that programmer.

These Arduinos are the "Severino" type that I etched myself, and I didn't attach any serial port on it, just the ICSP post.

I searched around the forum, but not much information about the AVR Dragon interfacing to the Arduinos.

Any modifications should be done on the Arduino sketch program?

Thanks.

Nothing would change or be required inside any specifc sketch. The arduino IDE files would need to be modified/configured to utilize the Dragon programmer. AVRDUDE, the program that the IDE uses to do uploading already knows how to talk to a Dragon as shown in the AVRDUDE.conf file:

AVR Dragon in ISP mode

programmer
id = "dragon_isp";
desc = "Atmel AVR Dragon in ISP mode";
baudrate = 115200;
type = dragon_isp;
;

So it's a matter of defining your specific new board type in the IDE core boards.txt file and tell it that the new board uses the dragon to perform the upload. Can't give you specific step by step instructions as I don't own a dragon and have never tried to modifiy the IDE to use it. I just know it should be pretty straight forward.

Lefty

retrolefty:

Nothing would change or be required inside any specifc sketch. The arduino IDE files would need to be modified/configured to utilize the Dragon programmer. AVRDUDE, the program that the IDE uses to do uploading already knows how to talk to a Dragon as shown in the AVRDUDE.conf file:

AVR Dragon in ISP mode

programmer
id = "dragon_isp";
desc = "Atmel AVR Dragon in ISP mode";
baudrate = 115200;
type = dragon_isp;
;

So it's a matter of defining your specific new board type in the IDE core boards.txt file and tell it that the new board uses the dragon to perform the upload. Can't give you specific step by step instructions as I don't own a dragon and have never tried to modifiy the IDE to use it. I just know it should be pretty straight forward.

Lefty

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Since my Severinos are without the serial port, I could assume that I can still burn the compiled Arduino sketches into the Atmega328P through the ISP headers without the bootloaders? :slight_smile: