Brushed Motor Control through ESC

Ran, I am able to plug in the steering servo and use the standard servo sweep example without a problem.

Zoomkat, yes, I tried one of the posted codes that does the arming sequence. The interesting thing is they refer to beeping once it is armed. My doesn't beep - ever. Even when using just the standard pistol transmitter.

Peter, power line is untouched from the ESC to the receiver (straight connection I mean). I tapped into ground so that the Arduino is on the same ground as the battery. I clipped the white wire. I got my readings from the white wire coming from the receiver which is how I got my data. I tried then using various sketches to send data to the esc on the white wire through the PWM 9 line on the Duemilanove.

Here is my code that I used to read the receiver info. I'm still learning the Arduino programming code and thought I understood it until I got this code. I hardly understand any of it but I'll attach it in case it helps.

Thanks for you suggestions everyone. I really appreciate it!

volatile unsigned int Ticks;	   // holds the pulse count as .5 us ticks
int icpPin = 8;			     // this interrupt handler must use pin 8

ISR(TIMER1_CAPT_vect){
   if( bit_is_set(TCCR1B ,ICES1)){	 // was rising edge detected ?
	 TCNT1 = 0;				// reset the counter
   }
   else {					  // falling edge was detected
	  Ticks = ICR1;
   }
   TCCR1B ^= _BV(ICES1);		     // toggle bit value to trigger on the other edge
}

void setup()			  // run once, when the sketch starts
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(icpPin,INPUT);
  TCCR1A = 0x00;	   // COM1A1=0, COM1A0=0 => Disconnect Pin OC1 from Timer/Counter 1 -- PWM11=0,PWM10=0 => PWM Operation disabled
  TCCR1B = 0x02;	   // 16MHz clock with prescaler means TCNT1 increments every .5 uS (cs11 bit set
  Ticks = 0;		 // default value indicating no pulse detected
  TIMSK1 = _BV(ICIE1);   // enable input capture interrupt for timer 1
}

int getTick() {
  int akaTick;	 // holds a copy of the tick count so we can return it after re-enabling interrupts
  cli();		 //disable interrupts
  akaTick = Ticks;
  sei();		 // enable interrupts
  return akaTick;
}

void loop()			   // run over and over again
{
  static int prevTick = 0;

if( getTick()  != prevTick) 
     {
     prevTick = getTick();
     if (prevTick > 3040 && prevTick < 3055)  //  .760 milliseconds?
        {
        //Serial.println("Transmitter is on standby");
        }
     if (prevTick > 3055 && prevTick < 3460) //Accelerating  > 0.764 milliseconds  and <.860 milliseconds
        Serial.println("Forward"); //prevTick);     // print the tick value only when it changes
     if (prevTick > 2460 && prevTick < 3040) //Reverse > 0.615 milliseconds and < .076 ms
       Serial.println("Reverse"); //prevTick);
     if (prevTick > 3460) //You are in trouble!!!
         Serial.println("Lost Commnunication with transmitter");
    }
}