tx-led doesnt flash with linux, but with windows -- no serial connection?

Hi there,

the topic has been discussed a dozen of times, but Im facing a bit different kind of problem (I guess).

First of all: Im developing my arduino code using windows. Serial connection with the IDE is no problem, everything works like a charm. I then tried to hook it up to my old netgear router with openWRT on it. Had a bit of problems getting the ttyUSB device to show but now that works too. I then followed the directions at the playground to make use of the serial console, but sadly it didnt work. I wrote a small test program wich just sends "foo" every 3 seconds. At some point I noticed that while having the arduino plugged into my laptop (with windows), I see the TX-led flashing every 3 seconds, but with the arduino plugged into my router it didnt. so it seems like there is some kind of handshake missing. Does anyone know something about this?

ive got usbserial and ftdi_sio modules installed, configured and running and according to dmesg it seems to work:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using ohci_hcd and address 4
usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT2232C
usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0
usbserial_generic 1-1:1.1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
drivers/usb/serial/ftdi_sio.c: Detected FT2232C
usb 1-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB1

since the space on the router is very limited and there's no x running I cant test the IDE's serial monitor

anyone has an idea why the arduino doesnt even start to send serial messages?

thanks in advance!