Best programming language for beginners?

BulldogLowell:
I studied Latin in school. It's great, Today I can speak it with absolutely no one.

Apples and oranges. The first commercially useful program I wrote was in BASIC and VB is probably the language I have made most money from. I did some assembler and C/C++. Then I had to do a couple of projects in Delphi and it brought clarity, to what I had been hacking away at for years. Type, scope and OOP particularly, made so much more sense. When I went back to C++ it was so much easier to write clear, bug free code, first time around. When I switch to another language or dialect, the important lessons are carried from Pascal and just have to learn some new keyword and fit within the syntax of the constructs provided.

Robin2:
Tosh!

Sounds like the 1950s classroom where Python belongs. Where kids were punished for writing with their left hand, just because. Indentation has no computational value. It should not cause a compiler to choke. Indentation is for humans and should remain in the human domain. If it is that important, have the editor impose it automatically. While you are still trying to learn what a variable is, worrying about whitespace is a distraction nobody needs. Clearly this is a personal opinion :wink: