[SOLVED] Details for the Encoder

DarioPennisi:
Hi,
not only... actually the idea is to create a high performance controller as we also have pretty flexible PWMs and we can synthesize many more peripherals. PWMs are able to produce, from a single counter, multiple phases each with its own independent phase and duty, moreover we're planning to make a PID "soft-ip" running in the soft processor so that you can close the loop in real time while leaving SAM D21 free to do anything else. of course any suggestion is more than welcome!

That's precisely what I had in mind!
I'm working on a robotics platform with a small group, and we're using the 4000 board for controlling peripherals, motors, and whatever other real-time tasks we end up implementing in the future.

I'm still really new to FPGA's, so right now I'm implementing the PID control loop in software, and using traditional PWM peripherals. However, I hope to implement everything on the FPGA as you described soon.

I'm currently pouring over the SAM timer/counter documentation to play with. I want to play with PWM frequencies so the motors aren't so loud, and hopefully to get better torque at lower speeds. I'm also running a fairly tight loop, and updating the pwm duty cycle so frequently probably isn't working well.

Anyway, I'm extremely excited for this platform to take off. How are there not a thousand or more projects/videos on youtube already? Maybe I should slap the first one together, and upload tomorrow :slight_smile: