Creating Digital Ammeter Using Hall effect sensor/Nano/ mini display??

Good Morning,

I'm trying to create a digital ammeter using the Nano/Oled Display/Magnetic Hall effect sensor/ Ferrite Torroid. But I can't code for the the life of me. I need to write a program for this, any help with the program would be greatly appreciated.

Willing to pay.

Regards,

Please post some images and datasheet of the components you have, also what you want to accomplish.

1. A3144 Hall Effect sensor
  2. Arduino Nano
  3. SSD1306 mini OLED Display. 128x32
  4. one Ferrite Toroid

The goal here is to create an ammeter that will have a wire running through the ferrite toroid, where the sensor is located. which will measure the magnetic field I imagine then the computer code will convert it into amps.

that's the goal.

What's the budget? (most likely buying clam ampmeter for ~ 50 bucks is cheaper and more reliable)

It seems that the A3144 is an Hall Switch

so, it can only be ON or OFF but has not an output proportional to magnetic field -> not suitable for intended ammeter use.

What type of sensor should I use? What type is used in the multimeter with the clamp on the end of it?

A hall effect sensor will do just fine to measure a magnetic field, and it seems indeed many commercial sensors are based on using such sensors. You just picked the wrong part. That it has "hall effect" in the name doesn't necessarily make it suitable.

wvmarle:
A hall effect sensor will do just fine to measure a magnetic field, and it seems indeed many commercial sensors are based on using such sensors. You just picked the wrong part. That it has "hall effect" in the name doesn't necessarily make it suitable.

I bought a new sensor so hopefully it works.

There are more than 100 different types of ferrite toroids. Why do you think yours will do what you want?

Pauil