[SOLVED]attempting to get the arduino to drive an HDMI tv (sorry for old title)

i want HDMI and an AVR . i dont think i would find a AVR that i can manipulate and that can drive an HDMI signal . so what do i need for this ? any chips or something ? i can use an external ram or overclock an avr .

before you say theses things :

• i did ask google , but google was not able to satisfy my need for this
  • i did already think about modules like the RPI and stuff

i mean , if the arduino does provide a shield for a stable TV output i would get it , but what's the alternative ? i cant use standalone systems like the RaspberryPI it's like using a gun to kill a bug

I dunno, man... The Raspberry Pi sounds like a reasonable solution to me...

I found some HDMI chips from [u]Analog Devices[/u].

Of course, you'd need to add memory for the image data and you'd probably have to provide a clock, etc. I'm not sure what role you have in mind for the Arduino/AVR. The AVR isn't going to process real-time HD video.

amine2:
i mean , if the arduino does provide a shield for a stable TV output i would get it , but what's the alternative ? i cant use standalone systems like the RaspberryPI it's like using a gun to kill a bug

Well, if you think driving hdmi is the size of a bug, Ive got bad news for you.

8bits avr arent capable of driving hdmi, they are nowere near of driving those hi res full hd 32 bit color and stuff images.

You need a graphic card to drive hdmi, and to drive graphic card you need 32 bits processors. Raspberry pi is a good choice.

Driving an HDMI output is a big job, a bigger job than any arduino could handle by a huge margin. And RPi is a perfectly appropriate tool for the job. To build on your analogy, trying to use the Arduino to drive HDMI is like trying to use a fly swatter to kill a bear.

One thing that's really important when considering embedded projects is a sense of the scale - just orders of magnitude - of the processing work involved. This gives you an idea of the feasibility - consider the data rates, and the amount of data involved - and compare to the specs of the chip and the size of it's memory/flash.
For example, 1920x1080, one frame of video in true color is more than 2 orders of magnitude more data than the entire flash memory of an arduino uno.... That should tell you that the two just run at a totally different scale of complexity...

To put it simply, it's not going to happen. For someone who has been around arduinos as long as you have I honestly can't believe you asked such a question. With only 150 posts in about 10 months, that' an average of 15 a month , or one every other day. Maybe you should do more homework before posting.

This :

i want HDMI and an AVR . i dont think i would find a AVR that i can manipulate and that can drive an HDMI signal . so what do i need for this ? any chips or something ?

Here's the thing, look at these fine pitch ics and tell us how you plan to interface with them ?

HDMI Receiver ICs

and this:

i can use an external ram or overclock an avr .

is ludicrous.

Did you Google "Arduino HDMI LIBRARY" ?

Did you notice how nothing came up ?

Dr. Azzy said it better than I could:

For example, 1920x1080, one frame of video in true color is more than 2 orders of magnitude more data than the entire flash memory of an arduino uno.... That should tell you that the two just run at a totally different scale of complexity..

Is there an arduino that can do this ? Not yet. Is one coming ? Definitely.

raschemmel:
Is there an arduino that can do this ? Not yet. Is one coming ? Definitely.

That looks to be an interesting project. Worth keeping an eye on.

Russell.

no you guys , i mean using a "Raspberry PI" for this is like using the gun to kill the bug , i know that HDMI is too much for arduino , i did mention that in the status .
the RPI has a GPU .

i did get analog video to work at a resolution of 480x224 pixels , at 256grayscale quality using a external ram . so i kinda do have a little experience around video , well analog video . the thing is , having the processor lose a huge amount of it's power rendering the video is a waste when i can an have an other chip or module it . for analog video that would not be really complicated , since i can just get an other avr to do the job and then just communicate with it with a parallel or serial protocol . though since i am open to using an external module for this why not go the whole way ? that is where i am coming from

i mean i did work with the RPI , without an operating system though .
so i did work directly with the GPU of the RPI using assembly .

the arduino doing the video rendering is something out of reach and i am well aware of that .

and when i said overclocking the avr , that's not for video , but for the other processes going in parallel with the video .
getting the RPI to behave like an "Arduino HDMI shield" for instance is a simple thing to do , though an RPi is too much (even for this) .

and i am also well aware that an arduino cannot interact with such chips (come on , do you really think i would suggest overclocking an arduino to render hdmi with such things ? ) .

when i say chips i mean a module that i can use to get this thing to work , but that is not a full standalone thing like the raspberry pi , you guys did shape the deal as if i am trying to get the video going with arduino and arduino alone , come on i spent years and years working in this field ,i don't think i can be thinking like that.

You apparently still do not grasp the scale, scope , and complexity of your fantasy, and that is the only appropriate word to describe your post , which cannot , by any fair interpretation of English be called a " project" which implies a working implementation sometime in the near future. The TRE IS an AVR and COMES with HDMI (no need to ADD it). That's a REALITY.
( still no release date yet though so we are left to believe the pre-release marketing hype)

:slight_smile: exactly ,the "TRE" would do the job , though would be very expensive i think.

We can only wait There is no point in posting for something that is already at the "coming soon.. " stage. There is literally nothing we can do. Our hands are tied.

and isn't the TRE targetted to match the functionality of the RPI and such systems ? i dont think it would behave like an AVR , you would not have that much freedom in coding . i still dont even understand that concept . a microcontroller and a processor .

Read it an weep.
TRE

why would i weep though :slight_smile: i am a supporter , i do not like the Raspberry PI , maybe a will do like this one .
but one more thing .
back in the day , i used the first ones of the arduino unos as an introduction for electronics , it was a good experience arduino introduced me to AVRs then AVRs introduced me to micro-controllers in general , i would not call myself an expert now , but at least i do have a decent experience .

though what would systems like the "TRE" bring new to one's ""experience ?
the only things systems like the RPI taught me were how operating systems operate at a low level , though it does not leave a major space for hacking and manipulation

though keep in mind that , that was posted on october 2013 , saying it will be released spring of 2014 .with the CPU and specifications being published 2 years so far before the release .

In case you haven't noticed they discontinued most of their product line so the choices are fewer.

This performance opens the doors to more advanced Linux-powered applications. The Sitara-processor-based Linux Arduino can run high-performance desktop applications, processing-intensive algorithms or high-speed communications.

The Arduino TRE is two Arduinos in one: the Sitara-processor-based Linux Arduino plus a full AVR-based Arduino, while leveraging the simplicity of the Arduino software experience. The integration of the AVR Arduino enables the Arduino TRE to use the existing shield ecosystem so that innovators can expand the Arduino TRE to develop a wide range of high-performance applications such as 3D printers, gateways for building automation and lighting automation, telemetry hubs that collect data from nearby sensors wirelessly, and other connected applications that require host control plus real-time operations.

The key marketing pitch is superpower with the simpicity of the Arduino software experience

exactly , that would make it interesting .

Built-in HDMI isn't bad either... :smiley:

Ive seen some home made gpu using stm32 on youtube. Maybe that is what you need.

built-in HDMI isn't bad either ...

yeah :slight_smile: very cool . bet it's gunna be expensive though

i did manage to build a gpu out of an AVR and some external memory but for analog video .
though "raschemmel" has a point , i think i will just wait for this "TRE" module for this and explore the possibilities of that , thank you though .

How did you solve it? I need to rescale an HDMI signal. Do you think it is possible?