Want to understand busses: 3 Arduinos in a series/row

Hi there,

I would like to understand how different busses (serial, sequential, parallel, etc...) work and I want to learn that on hand with Arduinos. I bought 3 Leonardos and when they will be there, I want to put them in series. I want to understand how data can be transmitted from the first one to the master and the Arduino in the middle shall be able to detect, that useable data was sent from #1 to the master and then also trigger an event (and also send data to the master as a next step).

Could you perhaps point me to a tutorial, where I can read into this topic? Would be really nice! :slight_smile: I finally want to understand on a simple level how different busses work.

best regards,

Andreas

A bus is used for connecting many devices together.

Ironically the USB despite having Bus in its name is not actually a bus because it is a one to one communication protocol.
The difference between serial and parallel is that serial uses "time division multiplexing" to transfer the data where as in a parallel bus each data bit has it's own wire.

What I think you want to learn about is not buses but bus protocols. That is the way data is packaged up to ensure it is transferred correctly. It is probably best to study them from that point of view. As such look up I2C and SPI for a start. Wikipedia has good pages on these.

Grumpy_Mike:
Ironically the USB despite having Bus in its name is not actually a bus because it is a one to one communication protocol.

Actually, the USB is most accurately a "bus", but with a slightly different geometry to the way you are looking at it.

The USB as such primarily exists inside the computer at the root hub, which is quite equivalent to the ISA or PCI bus. It is just that when you extend it, you extend it as a tree - by adding hubs - rather than daisy-chaining as you (can) do for I2C. But without extensions, I2C shares exactly the same limitations - it also is a master-slave protocol whereby transactions occur only between slave and master according to the protocol. I seem to recall RS-422 (which might be the sort of thing of interest to Andreas' concern) is similar.

That is in comparison to Ethernet which is definitively peer-to-peer.

Actually, the USB is most accurately a "bus",

Ah a strange new usage of the word "accurately" to which I was previously unaware.

Oddly enough though the bit that 99.99% of people call the USB, that is the bit that you plug a device into, the bit that appears outside your computer, the bit that is implemented in hardware is not a bus.
Yes sure the concept is a bus, but concepts are not real. Just like the illusion of a desktop being generated on your output screen is not real.

Just like the illusion of a desktop being generated on your output screen is not real.

Dammit, Mike, you could've put a spoiler alert on that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I remember showing my son some experiments I was doing trying to get a user window running on a RISC OS machine. He had only ever used a Mac, since he was about 1 year old, he was 7 at the time. As I dragged my window round the desktop it uncovered part of the image I wanted to display as if this image was fixed behind the desk top and my window was tunneling through it to show what was behind it.
He though it was the best magic trick he had ever seen.

Hi all,

to come back to my question :wink:

Grumpy_Mike:
Wikipedia has good pages on these.

what pages do you advise me to read?
It can be very simple, but should include 3+ arduinos. On youtube I couldn't find videos that are explaining it in a good way.

Andreas

It can be very simple, but should include 3+ arduinos.

No you will not find examples using three arduinos on line. That is the bit you have to do yourself once you read the Wikipedia page on the buss you want to study next.

There are 3 good ways to connect a number of arduinos together.

1. the UARTs

2. SPI,

3. I2C

4. USB

All the above are serial. There are no built in parallel buses.

1. Can be a problem as it requires a USB host and all coms must go through the host. And none of the arduinos you talked about can be a host.

All the above require a master/host to work and all coms must go through the host none of the slaves can talk to other slaves.

So look at the options accept the you need a hub/master device. Then tell us what you real want.

Mark

holmes4:
All the above are serial. There are no built in parallel buses.

And there would be a reason for that - parallel buses are as you will note, "on the way out" in favour of USB, PCI express and SATA.

It is a matter of just too many connections involved, to say nothing of parallel data slew at the progressively higher transmission speeds.

The limitations of SPI, I2C and TTL serial are the distance between nodes and the possibility of ground differentials. Distance can be compensated to some extent by using lower speeds.

As to master/ slave vs. peer-to-peer, if you understand the protocols that are available, you can adapt them to peer-to-peer. It's a matter of implementing them first in practice, and getting sufficient familiarity with them to work outside of standard libraries and adapt. Research on "packet protocols" or "serial packet protocols".

There is a world beyond YouTube videos. Most of it in fact ...

Hi there,

I just do the first things with "wire" and i2c and my 3 leonardos.
Is it possible to communicate between master and one slave (id2) and the other slave (id3) listens and it can detect when id2 is transmitting to the master and already preparing stuff that is then transmitted to the master when it is his turn? And how do I do that?

Thanks,

Andreas

-horn-:
Hi there,

I just do the first things with "wire" and i2c and my 3 leonardos.
Is it possible to communicate between master and one slave (id2) and the other slave (id3) listens and it can detect when id2 is transmitting to the master and already preparing stuff that is then transmitted to the master when it is his turn? And how do I do that

Basically not with the wire libary there can only be one master and a slave can only respond to a request from a master. It can not initiate a message sequence.
To do that you need a multi master libary.
You can do the first part but when a slave is not being addressed it does not listen.