Arduino Power Meter Open-source Kit

Arduino Power Meter Hardwares
l Arduino UNO+W5100
l URAT-RS485 module
l JSY-109
(Power Meter Module, measuring the current, voltage, power, power consumption independently, and the data can no be lost if the electricity is cut off.)

A lot of people have done the open source power meter with Arduino.
However, they basically use independent current sensor and voltage sensor to complete the task, using Arduino to read the values of current and voltage, and then calculate the power.
The advantages are: The prices of the current sensor and voltage sensor are very cheap.
The disadvantages are: The power is calculated by the Arduino. If the power of Arduino is cut off, the data are lost. If you need to calculate the energy, you should use Arduino to do integral operation of the power, bringing accumulated error.
Because of these above problems, we use a special power meter module and an Arduino together to calculate electricity energy.

Wire Connection

As the following picture shows:

1. Air Switch at the entrance
  2. Current transformer coil of power meter module, clipped on the live wire of the air switch. Please note the current direction.
  3. Voltage transformer of power meter module, connected to 220V power supply (The red light is on if the power is supplied.)
  4. TTL-RS485 Module, AB terminal is connected to 485 AB of power meter module.
  5. TTL-RS485, TX RX 5V GND is connected to ARDUINO UNO
  6. Select UNO with network board (W5100)

Download Codes

Download this file to x/Arduino/library (Delete master in the file name)

Test for local mode

1. Open Arduino IDE
  2. Example -> DeviceBitHttpClient ->JSY109local
  3. Compile the codes (Note: Before downloading the codes, disconnect the TX pin and RX pin which connect TTL-RS485 module and the Arduino. Otherwise, the Arduino can not communicate with the power meter. )
  4. Close the air switch, and the power is supplied to the power meter. The red light is on.
  5. Open the monitor interface of the serial port, and select 4800 baud rates (Because the baud rates of power monitor module is 4800.) The voltage has been tested out, which means the communication between UNO and power meter module is normal.

For network mode, please refer to 乐联网技术周刊1 -2014 10月第3周.

You can monitor the real-time data by visiting m.devicebit.com via your mobile phone

The daily power consumption of your home can be sent to Twitter, and daily or weekly reports can be sent to your E-mail.
?DeviceBit NOTICE?2014-04-09 14:00,Total Energy 27KWH, Max. Power 3047 W, Min. Power 26W, Average Power 374W (Tips)

Is this one OK? This is the arduino open-sourse kit for measuring the power.

devicebit:
Is this OK? This is the arduino open-sourse kit for measuring the power.

That is certainly an improvement.

Hi Devicebit:

I would like to know the name of the module you use to measure the voltage and current.

I bought an Arduino uno r3 beacuse the main board which im using, a Raspberry PI B+ doesnth have analog input, so i was thinking to use the Arduino uno analog input to obtain the values of the voltage and current and by that i will be able to calculate the power consumption.

but then in another post today, i saw, the INA209 to calculate the power consumption, it has I2C to comunicate with either the Arduino Uno or Raspberry PI B+.

Im a little confused right now, with the INA209 and the Arduino uno analog input to measure the power consumption, can you give me an advice, will appreciate it so much

Hi Devicebit,
Can we pls chat about this?

Hi Devicebit,
Can we pls chat about this?