Stepper Motor not turning and appears to vibrate inside

Motor: 28BYJ-48
H-bridge: L293
Arduino: UNO

Hi everyone,

I am trying to use an h-bridge with my Arduino and the motor which is rated at 5 V. I found an earlier post that had a similar issue however I did not understand the binary numbers that were spoken about in that post.

In the first attachment, I have shown the circuit for the h-bridge and then the truth table based on which switches are closed so the motor can turn. Therefore, I know I would need 1001 to turn right and 0110 to turn left.

I have also attached the schematic which I have followed but I think my issue is the wiring with the motor and the Arduino.

Could someone help me with the understanding of the proper wiring? I have followed this schematic exactly along with the code but it just appears to vibrate inside without any physical turning.

// Include the Arduino Stepper Library
#include <Stepper.h>

// Number of steps per output rotation
const int stepsPerRevolution = 48;

// Create Instance of Stepper library
Stepper myStepper(stepsPerRevolution, 12, 11, 10, 9);

void setup()
{
	// set the speed at 20 rpm:
	myStepper.setSpeed(20);
	// initialize the serial port:
	Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop() 
{
	// step one revolution in one direction:
	Serial.println("clockwise");
	myStepper.step(stepsPerRevolution);
	delay(500);

// step one revolution in the other direction:
	Serial.println("counterclockwise");
	myStepper.step(-stepsPerRevolution);
	delay(500);
}

Firstly you seem to be confusing an H bridge driving a DC motor with a stepper motor.

Stepper motors are completely different.

The 28BYJ-48 stepper you have is a 5 wire unipolar stepper. If you have it wired
correctly (red lead to +5V), then you can drive it with an ULN2003 or ULN2803
darlington driver.

You images show stuff to do with H-bridges which are not relevant, and a circuit
involing a '595 shift register (which cannot power any motor, its just a logic
chip that's unable to handle the high currents and powers that motors use).

Note that the 4 wires that aren't the red one can be connected in 24 different
ways to 4 driver outputs. Only 8 of those 24 ways can work, and its hard to figure
out except by trial and error as all 4 windings look identical electrically.

There are literally dozens of guides to the 28BYJ-48 stepper online...

Oh I see thank you for pointing that out. I was told we would have to use the H-bridge circuit for the motor and I wanted to test it using the stepper motor.

Also, with regards to the photo, I am aware its a shift register but the caption and article talked about using the h-bridge instead.

So, from what you have said, it IS possible to use the h-bridge with the stepper if i connect the 5 V to the red wire as well?

Thanks!