WS2811 12v LED strip connection with Arduino Uno

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to connect and power properly a WS2811 LED strip to an Arduino Uno. I'm using a 12V 7A 84W power supply.
My setup is similar to the one below:
(see attached file)

Except for the voltage of the power supply (12v not 5v). I added a 680uF 50v capacitor to the GND and the +12v output of the power supply.

(for my project I need 3 separate LED strips, so consider all this setup x3)

What do you think about it? any suggestion or advice?

I've tried it yesterday: it worked for the first strip, but after connecting the second one, it "broke"...
Now I'm not able to upload any code on my Arduino. I got this error message:
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
I may have fried my Arduino

Thank you for your help :slight_smile:

I've tried it yesterday: it worked for the first strip, but after connecting the second one, it "broke"..

So how was the second strip connected up. How long was the strip? How many LEDs did it contain?

The second strip was 30 LED long (as the first one), without condenser and resistance, same path of connection.
I did it differently to understand the difference between the two... not so bright idea I guess.

Connecting multiple WS2811 LED strips won't fry the Arduino. You could damage it if you connect the 12V accidently, or maybe a blown/defective LED strip could send 12V into the Arduino's I/O pin.

You may have "zapped" it with static discharge, or who knows... Something else might be wrong.