Go Down

Topic: ROM-Reader for Super Nintendo / Super Famicom Game Cartridges (Read 105188 times) previous topic - next topic

Newbie2

Will the changes to allow reading Tengai Makyou Zero also allow for writing saves back to the cart?

sanni

New design prototype: [see post #356]

hernan43

Would the N64 controller port go away or would it now live in the external control unit?

sanni

It would stay the same as before, meaning a N64 controller extension cut in half and then soldered to the cart reader pcb. Just haven't modeled that in Sketchup  :smiley-mr-green:

skyhawk71

Is there anyone here accepting commissions to make these? I have no prior experience with soldering, and don't want to accidentally mess something up. I'm looking to get a unit like this since my Retrode 2 can't dump Nintendo Power or Xband cartridges.

hernan43

I'm planning on *attempting* to make a couple of them. My soldering skills are mostly ok. I'm fairly confident I can pull this one off.

sanni

Is there anyone here accepting commissions to make these?
Have you seen the work that skaman has done with the Retrode? I think the Retrode can dump Nintendo Power now: http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,361.0.html

Anyway if the prototype pcbs I ordered work out I'll have a few spares.

skyhawk71

Have you seen the work that skaman has done with the Retrode? I think the Retrode can dump Nintendo Power now: http://forum.retrode.org/index.php/topic,361.0.html

Anyway if the prototype pcbs I ordered work out I'll have a few spares.
I did see Skaman express interest in helping out with the Retrode code, but I didn't know that something was already done.

EDIT: Downloaded. Thank you for the link, Sanni!

sanni

No problem, to be honest since skaman poured his heart and soul into the Retrode I started looking for a used one on ebay too, "used" because I want an early version with the long SNES slot. :)
Before the Retrode wasn't even worth considering, at least for myself, since it could only do the easy stuff, basically the low hanging fruit without delving into the slightly harder stuff like N64 save support.

I really hope that the maker one day will release the source code for it so more people can help making it better. Especially since you don't have to "open-source" something when you release the source code. Just don't put it under an open-source licence and nobody can legally fabricate and sell your device. It would clearly benefit the product and probably even increase sales.

skyhawk71

I bought my Retrode 2 brand new from DragonBox. One of the original purposes I had for it was dumping Japanese ROM's so that they can be translated into English and played on an emulator. I didn't realize the Retrode's issues till I tried slotting in Xband and Nintendo Power carts. It couldn't read the actual ROM data on them.

theodor613

Just wanted to say that I have assembled 2 of these to program Dreamcast bios and they work great and fast! Currently have enough parts to make another 5 or 6 boards minus the Arduino clock, N64 cord, GBA adapter and Mega Drive adapters.

sanni

Here are my current design protoypes.

Low-cost single system versions of the cart reader
They share an optional external control unit with oled/buttons but also can be controller via the Serial Monitor from your PC or mobile phone.

N64:

Mega Drive/Genesis:

GB/A:

SNES:

theodor613

That looks great Sanni! I would be interested in the flash programmer only. One without the snes adaptor and port. That would be great for me.

wilykat

Have you looked at Atari Lynx?  All commercial games don't have bankswitching circuit or save system but a few of the address lines are used in an odd manner.

sanni

I don't own any systems other than the ones I have already implemented.

In other news, I have done some further work on the new All-in-one board:

In this version the USB port at the back will also vanish and instead a little pcb will be used to convert the Arduino to 3.3V if needed following the tutorial by Adafruit.

Go Up