NEMA 17 Power Supply

Hi guys,

I'm new to this board. After my first project, a smart mirror, I'm on to something more challenging and decided to play around with some motors instead of LEDs. Unfortunately, I have no idea about the hardware background and feel lost already.

To make it short: I'd like to control a NEMA 17 stepper motor (Type: 17HM3410 -- 12V, 1.7A, 24Ncm holding torque) with my ESP8266 or Arduino UNO. If I got that correctly, an A4988 (or similar) driver should also be part of the setup.

The Question(s): Is it possible to connect all that stuff together to just one external power adapter (~230V)? And how much voltage/ampere does this adapter need to have to make sure I can get most of the motor speed-wise?

Thanks in advance!

Robin2's stepper motor basics page might answer some of your questions and some that you didn't even ask. If there are still questions, ask away.

Thanks, I read that already. I'm just not sure which power supply I can use and how to have both, the arduino and the stepper, powered by just one source.

An A4988 will not work with a 1.7 amp motor without a heatsink and an aggressive cooling fan. Even the more capable Pololu DRV8825 would probably struggle. I think a stepper driver using the TB65xx chip may be a better choice.

Of course if you don't need the full torque of the motor you could operate it at a lower maximum current.

...R

NEMA17:
Thanks, I read that already. I'm just not sure which power supply I can use and how to have both, the arduino and the stepper, powered by just one source.

What power source are you thinking of (volts and amps) ?

Everything is one source if you work back to the electric utility :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:
An A4988 will not work with a 1.7 amp motor [...] What power source are you thinking of (volts and amps) ? [...]

Thanks so far!

I think I have to start earlier and need a stepper motor advice as well. I dont have my mechanical parts yet, but in general the stepper should be able to move a load of about 500-1000g with as many rounds per minute as possible for under ~25€. I would prefer a stepper with less steps, because I only need 24. I've read that steppers with 24 or 48 steps are cheaper but they also seem to have a lower torque (permanent magnet stepper motors).

So is there anyone who could recommend a good motor for me?

NEMA17:
I would prefer a stepper with less steps, because I only need 24.

The usual number of steps per revolution is 200. I can't imagine any value in having fewer steps.

I think I have to start earlier and need a stepper motor advice as well.

Have you studied the link in Reply #1

If you have and you have further questions please ask them.

...R

Robin2:
The usual number of steps per revolution is 200. I can't imagine any value in having fewer steps.

Steppers with fewer steps should be faster and/or cheaper.

Robin2:
Have you studied the link in Reply #1

Yes, I have read and bookmarked it already. That's the reason I picked the stepper motor in the first place:
"Generally speaking the motors with low coil resistance and high currents (and low nominal voltages) will be most suitable for higher speeds. A high voltage will also be needed for high speed."

So.. at what voltage should I run the above stepper to get the maximum out of it? And which TB65xx chip would be suitable for the stepper?

Thanks for your help!

Edit: I just stumbled upon this stepper: Make block 57BYG

The holding torque is 1.2Nm (:o) with a phase current of 2.8A. Do you know if a TB6560 3A driver board would be compatible with this one?

NEMA17:
Steppers with fewer steps should be faster and/or cheaper.

I don't know that the first would be true and the second depends on production volume, not the number of steps.

So.. at what voltage should I run the above stepper to get the maximum out of it? And which TB65xx chip would be suitable for the stepper?

That's a bit like "how long is a piece of string".

I don't know which chip you should get - my suggestion is to look for a stepper driver board that uses one of those chips and then consider the current it is capable of providing. Or, more generally, search for a stepper driver that can handle 3 amps or 4 amps or 5 amps.

The maximum voltage will generally be determined by the limitations of the stepper driver. But you may not need to go to a really high voltage to get the performance you need. Experiments using the motor in its working configuration are essential.

...R

Thanks for you reply Robin!

Please take a look at my last reply, I edited it (again). If the driver is compatible with that stepper I will buy that one and test it with the prototype to be sure about the needed torque/speed.

NEMA17:
Please take a look at my last reply, I edited it (again).

Don't do that.
It breaks the chain of communication and makes it very difficult to determine what other posts are responding to.
Do edit previous posts to correct typos.
Do edit previous posts to correct formatting (like missing code tags)

Do not edit previous posts to add or change content.
Instead, add or correct content in a new post.

:slight_smile:

Edit: I do support the use of your 'Edit' identifier

vinceherman:
Don't do that.

I'm sorry but when I started editing there was no reply. I should have checked it after i finished the edit.

Just a shout out to R2....

Refered to some of your posts (quite a bit) to build this little gem from mostly scrap materials.
Only bought bits were the 2 x NEMA 17 and lead screws and the CNC shield.

300 x 250 travel and 50mm on the Z (to be upgraded)

Fixed half my minor issues with your help and not a word spoken :wink:

Some old curtain blind aluminium rail for the frame, two linear drawer sliders for the main axis, old Epson printer for the gantry axis and an old rom drive for the Z. Few screw and assorted brackets from the junk drawer.

NEMA17:
Please take a look at my last reply, I edited it (again). If the driver is compatible with that stepper I will buy that one and test it with the prototype to be sure about the needed torque/speed.

Like @vincherman said - put new material in an new Reply to maintain the flow of the discussion.

If you are asking about using a 2.8 amp motor with a TB65XX based driver then it seems to me you are not allowing yourself enough headroom. I would always look for a driver that could provide 50% or even 100% more current than my motor needs.

...R