Netbook With Arduino Pro Inside!

Interesting idea but how do you test your codes without any hardware connected to the arduino?

If you need no extra hardware to test code, you could have always used a simulator

You could also just compile your code without uploading?

I like the idea behind the life clock.

But shouldnt u use it for much more happy event, dunno if its smart to remind u of u know what all the time.

Hey doublet,

Yeah I can compile without a controller. But how do you test code without running it? [Edit] If there is a simulator/emulator let me know eh?

Google for 'Virtual Breadboard' :slight_smile:
EDIT: can't. stand. helping. http://www.virtualbreadboard.net/

If you brought all of the pins out to a connector it would be interesting :slight_smile:

Interesting idea. If the wire leads on your internal USB cable is made long enough it looks like it would not be difficult to just remove the cover and lift the attached arduino to the side of the netbook. That way you could access the pins for actual hardware testing. Don't know if the Arduino mega footprint would fit in there, but the Seeeduino mega has the same footprint as the standard arduino plus uses the smaller usb connector.

Too bad the only lap top I own only runs windows 98, I don't think it can run the arduino IDE.

Lefty

Nice, I was actually wondering if there was a virtual arduino type of thing, it exists! :slight_smile:

Too bad the only lap top I own only runs windows 98, I don't think it can run the arduino IDE.

I got it running on a 10 years old Acer Aspire with Windows 2K and 128mb. You can download an old version of JAVA here (apperently current versions don't support 98 and ME): http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/archive-139210.html, if that laptop doesn't have JAVA.

Proteus has an AVR Simulator: http://www.labcenter.com/products/avr.cfm

If you can live without 98, I'd reformat it, install a version of Linux in console-only mode (or a very lightweight x-window install - not KDE or Gnome!), then pull in the the avr tools, compiler, libs, etc - plus the arduino libs, and do it command-line style.

Heck - I have such a laptop out in my shop; maybe -I- should give it a try...

;D

Now, if you could just bring the pins outside this would be amazing. As is, its a cool hack, but in my opinion, pointless hack.

(of course, now I am wondering if I could do the same to my laptop. damn you :stuck_out_tongue: ...)

I still think it is a useful idea. It would allow someone to continue working on their project coding no matter where they might be. Later another external arduino board could then be attached externally, the sketch reloaded and then tested with all the real I/O it will be using. It's in effect a simulator just lacking external I/O simulation, which could still be useful in some phases of sketch development. Keep in mind that real serial communications to the laptop will still be avalible while mounted inside the laptop.

Lefty

I did think about something similar as you can't beat a real arduino for testing stuff. I was thinking of using something like a serial port or something else I don't use as i/o connections.

An Arduino isn't doing anything useful unless it's connected to hardware, so I don't see the point. What's the use of just echoing serial statements to yourself? If the code compiles without errors, it'll download OK. There's just an extremely limited set of situations in which this makes sense...and in those situations you probably don't even need an Arduino at all.

If you dont mind taking a dremel to your netbook, you could make this even more useful by breaking out all the pins to an empty location on the back or side of your netbook...Just attach wires to all of the pins on the arduino, stick some female headers in a new hole on the side of your netbook somewhere, and label your connections. :wink:

How about adding a couple of sensors.

I use a T101MT tablet/netbook and was thinking this one through the other night. I was thinking along the lines of adding a teenyduino to the case and then a couple of piezo sensors attached to the underside of the case. Tap Tap and have the knock sensors tell my web browser to go forwards and back.

Its on my list of things to do when the warranty runs out :slight_smile:

I could see this being more useful it if was an xbee that you stuck in there. The lack of access to IO in your setup makes it a somewhat poor replacement for an arduino simulator.

Hi all!

I have the same Acer netbook and know that my warranty expired the second I added RAM :'(! I was thinking of tankgirls "bluetooth" hack using the extra IO's and onboard power, but, this hack looks pretty tasty instead. When I travel, or am just bored, I play with one of my Arduinos, usually Pro Mini as it is easy to carry with. I like how you put it onboard even better!
It might not be able to utilize all the functionalities like when it is breadboarded to things, but, when you're just passing time, playing around. Nice!
I suppose I might drill netbook case holes and hotglue in LEDs hooked to the IO's to test. Then get home and run the program true on my breadboard setup for real.

Still a reasonable hack! Thanks! :wink: