Powering arduino with 4.8V NiMH battery

max they take is about 4.8V

A maximum that's "about" isn't a very useful specification!

They will take it. Just don't run the Arduino and servos from the same supply.

NiMH cells are about 1.3V, not 1.2V, that was the NiCd cells they replaced.

MarkT:
A maximum that's "about" isn't a very useful specification!

They will take it. Just don't run the Arduino and servos from the same supply.

Their stated max is exactly 4.8V. However, knowing that servos can take a slight overvoltage, I said "about". They probably will work fine on 5.2V or so, but not sure about 6V.

What do you mean arduino and servos from same supply? So I need to get 2 batteries either way? Any reason for that if both servos and arduino can work on the same voltage, and I can use a capacitor to smooth power to arduino in case of spikes due to servo usage?

BTW I would not use the full Arduino board as a permanent installation, only for development.

That's up to the individual, but I'd go-ahead and use the factory Arduino board unless you have a reason not to. I use the Arduino board as the permanent-final board. I assume 80 or 90% of Arduino users do the same.

I would only consider using a custom board if I was going into volume production (to lower the cost), or if I had space limitations.

To me, the big attraction to the Arduino is that the production board is the development board and programmer, and the IDE is free. With a typical microcontroller, you'd have to buy a separate development board (which can cost a few hundred dollars), you might have to buy a separate programmer and you might have to pay for the software development kit.

The Raspberry PI is a complete single-board-computer and it has all of those same advantages over a bare microcontroller chip.

I'm planning to use the arduino board as a start, both for development and simple controls like walking. I'm quite new to electronics, so that's easier atm. I was hoping to move on to something more advanced such as a raspberry pi 2 once I'm ready to program it.

I wouldn't recommend that. The Raspberry will require different software, a different software development environment, and the hardware interface will be different.

It will be like starting-over, except that you could use the same mechanical robot parts and motors. If you think the Raspberry is going to be the better solution, now is the time to make that decision.

I've never used the Raspberry, but my feeling is that the Arduino is better (or easier) for things like motor control and the Raspberry is better for user interface (especially if you want a keyboard, mouse, video screen, or advanced sound).

You might have to change fuse settings to keep the board running at low voltage, but with BOD disabled, you should be good down to at least 3.8, and people say they often work below that at 16mhz. If you switch it to run at 8mhz, you could get it to run below 3v.

The problem with running arduino and motors on same power source is that the motors put a lot of electrical noise onto the power source, which can then reset the board unexpectedly. You can certainly get shared power supplies to work, but could need extra filtering - whereas using a separate power source just takes that worry (and all the other power related issues in this thread) totally off the table, so you can get on with the fun part of your project, and come back and clean up the power supply situation later (when you can test known working code with your new power source, so you know new problems are power related - thus sparing you from the constant question "Is that problem something wrong with my code? Or is the board resetting because I didn't do a good enough job of supply filtering" during the first part of the project).

I don't understand why people think you have to supply a 5volt Arduino (or 5volt servos) with ~5volt batteries.
Why not use two (7.2volt) or three (10.8volt) LiPo cells. Or a 12volt sealed lead/acid battery.
And a buck (step-down) converter.
Buck converters are cheap and efficient.
Use one for the servos and, if you have to, one for the Arduino.
Leo..

DVDdoug:
I wouldn't recommend that. The Raspberry will require different software, a different software development environment, and the hardware interface will be different.

The arduino is much easier to work with and will provide me with good experience in developing controls for the robot's movement (that'll probably be by far the hardest part, I have 4 servos per leg, which is not the standard design) and working with sensors. In its ease of use and ability to interface with sensors it's considered superior to the pi. The problem is, I'd like to eventually make the robot autonomous, i.e. be able to navigate on its own, do some basic image recognition, etc. I won't be able to manage that with the arduino due to its processing power and memory limitations, unless I send all the data to a server and have that do the work, then control the robot (not a bad initial solution, but no truly autonomous robot).

DrAzzy:
You might have to change fuse settings to keep the board running at low voltage...

The problem with running arduino and motors on same power source is that the motors put a lot of electrical noise onto the power source, which can then reset the board unexpectedly...

I'll research how to change the fuse settings then. I agree with the point about noise, I'll probably use a variable power supply for the motors during initial tests and power the arduino from USB to guard against that. I probably could try that with batteries too, perhaps find one small one for the arduino that wouldn't add too much weight.

Wawa:
I don't understand why people think you have to supply a 5volt Arduino (or 5volt servos) with ~5volt batteries.
Why not use two (7.2volt) or three (10.8volt) LiPo cells. Or a 12volt sealed lead/acid battery.
And a buck (step-down) converter.
Buck converters are cheap and efficient.
Use one for the servos and, if you have to, one for the Arduino.
Leo..

I actually don't know the efficiency of a buck converter, but assumed it's not that great, so didn't consider it. Assuming the servos can easily draw a few amps of power during regular operation, would the converter not lose too much power? If so that's definitely worth looking into.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Look e.g. here for the latest generation of low drop buck converters.
Graphs included.
Leo..

Wawa:
Look e.g. here for the latest generation of low drop buck converters.
Graphs included.
Leo..

Good to know, though at that price point (I'd probably need the 5A one for $15) it'll become the single most expensive part of the robot. Plus I'd still be losing 5-15% of the battery's capacity. Definitely a valid solution, though possibly not the most cost-effective.

You can get cheaper converters on ebay. not quite as efficient though.

A higher battery voltage and a buck converter is the only way to keep things fully/reliably working, and use the full capacity of the battery.
Leo..

I fully agree with using a SMPS buck converter.
Use one and get on with your project.

I agree the buck module is a nice suggestion, and I'm not trying to discredit it, but the robot has 16 total leg servos, plus 2 servos for a camera, as well as the board and sensors. Assuming all 16 servos stall at once, for example (unlikely, but possible scenario), that's an 8A power draw. That's without the amps or so the board and sensors will be using (the ESP8266 wifi module alone, which I'm planning to use, takes about 300mA I believe). So I'd need quite a bit of a safety margin or a lot of buck converters. I did find a 10A converter on ebay for a reasonable price, but it's too big and probably too heavy to fit on the small robot. At that point I'd really be better off getting a small separate battery for the arduino, I just wanted to avoid having to go that route.

This is the highest amperage version I've used.

All the versions I have used are short circuit (you could call this stall current) protected.

I see there are 12 and 15 amp versions on eBay.

Yeah, that is actually a pretty good point on just using a buck or boost converter.

12A, $5 shipped. http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-CC-CV-Buck-Converter-Step-down-Power-Supply-Module-7-32V-to-0-8-28V-12A-EC-/221670461819?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339c96d17b

Actually, you could use a buck/boost converter to supply the arduino with a constant comfortable voltage, while running servos straight off batteries....

$2 shipped buck/boost http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Boost-Buck-Converter-Step-Up-Step-Down-Supply-Module-3-35V-to-2-2-30V-HG/271720088700?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D32237%26meid%3Dff97540d481642989f28d171bc93103a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D290833291375&rt=nc

No endorsement of those specific vendors - there's a huge number selling same units and similar ones.

The step-down converter is too bulky to comfortably fit on the robot chassis. It's a fairly small machine.

Yes, that was along the lines of my original question. The step-up converter might be a good solution, it's a lot smaller since I only need enough current for the arduino, thanks for the tip.

Still, it'll take precious space and add weight, so if anyone happens to know whether the arduino itself might be fine with the 4.8V (as mentioned, a bit higher at peak and probably lower towards the end) I'd appreciate hearing it, it'd make the whole setup easier.

Step-up converters have a different behaviour than stepdown converters.
Read up about noise, short circuit protection, dropout voltage, and efficiency before you choose one over the other.

Personally I think higher voltage batteries and buck converters that are just ok for the job (not calculating total stall current) are the best overall choice.
An efficient 5volt/2.5A buck converter should be the size of a postage stamp.
Use two if you have to.
Leo..

It's pretty difficult to grasp everything at once, didn't know there's a difference in behavior. Would something like this work?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-DC-Converter-Mini-Step-Down-Module-BUCK-Adjustable-3V-5V-16V-for-RC-Plane-/371295065523?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5672e915b3

Very small, 2-3 should provide enough current, efficiency characteristic for this DSN-mini-360 module is listed as 96% max. Not sure if there's a catch I'm missing.

I also ordered a XL6009 step-up board just in case, no idea about what it's noise is. Efficiency is 92% top but with an amp or so of current needed it's better than losing 4% of 5 amps. I feel like worst case I might be able to boost the signal up to 7-9V, then run it through the arduino power jack where the regulator will take care of the noise.

Need to figure out which of these setups will be more efficient so I can choose the battery.

I would try those small buck converters with a 2C LiPo (7.2volt).

Boost converters can be noisier with a small voltage difference, and buck/boost could be less efficient.
Lineair regulators are not very good at removing switching noise.
Capacitors and inductors are.
Leo..

I'll get the step down converters, they'll be good to have around in any case.

After doing inventory of available LiPo/LiFe batteries, I noticed that all of them with reasonable capacity are a bit big to fit the robot chassis. The best thing I could find was a NiZn, which has smaller dimensions for the same capacity. Might have to give the step-up converter a try, if that doesn't work I'll make a filter for it, and if that fails switch to a step-down.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.