Arduino 0021 in Ubuntu 10.10

When I updated my system from Ubuntu 10.04 to 10.10 (32 bit) I can no longer use the arduino IDE. I get the following errors:

/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:30:23: error: avr/delay.h: No such file or directory
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:31:19: error: stdio.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:34,
                 from /home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.c:25:
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:29:20: error: stdlib.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_private.h:34,
                 from /home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.c:25:
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:103: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'boolean'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:104: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'byte'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:112: error: expected ')' before 'mode'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:113: error: expected ')' before 'int'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:119: error: expected ')' before 'pin'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:121: error: expected ')' before 'dataPin'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:122: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'shiftIn'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring.h:124: error: expected ')' before 'void'
In file included from /home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.c:26:
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:28:26: error: avr/pgmspace.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.c:26:
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:58: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'SS'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:59: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'MOSI'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:60: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'MISO'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:61: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'SCK'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:66: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'PROGMEM'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:67: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'PROGMEM'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:68: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'PROGMEM'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:70: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'PROGMEM'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:72: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'PROGMEM'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/pins_arduino.h:73: error: expected '=', ',', ';', 'asm' or '__attribute__' before 'PROGMEM'
/home/william/arduino-0021/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/wiring_pulse.c:32: error: expected ')' before 'pin'

It seems like there are missing files and syntax errors. I am going through the files it mentions to fix the errors. I was wondering if anyone else has had these issues, especially if they use ubuntu 10.10 or linux. This is the latest release of arduino.

It looks like none of the AVR library files were installed. The first error (missing avr/delay.h) really shouldn't be there in a properly-installed AVR-GCC installation.

Try this:

find /home/william/arduino-0021 -name delay.h

If the file is truly missing then I'd just reinstall the Arduino distribution. If it's not missing, then perhaps something is misconfigured (and I'd still try reinstalling the Arduino distribution).

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, light sensor, potentiometers, pushbuttons

I get same error on my Lubuntu 10.10 installation and also v.21!
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1288376213,

Superpelican

I'm looking for help with installing arduino-0021 in ubuntu maverick 64bit. The standard version is 18, which does not support the Uno. I do not know how to get ubuntu to "recognise" the downloaded and extracted file and install it. I only seem to be able to install version 18.

Does anyone know what to do with the extracted file in order to install it? There's no readme in the file, and online tutorials on arduino site say "go to ubuntu software center", but the software center and it's outdated version 18 are exactly what I want to bypass! Please help.

I have the software installed (downloaded the 64-bit package), and I am able to run the program via "sudo ./arduino" (from the proper folder), but I can not upload my program to the board. I have selected it as the device, but it does not write to the board it gives an error.

Did you install avr-libc?

Oh I needed to install avr-libc. It's odd I guess that package was removed when I updated but I really don't know, ohh well it works now. Sorry I didn't reply earlier I forgot I changed my password on this forum (because I forgot it). Then I didn't have time to change it and when I did I couldn't find out how to change it back to something I can remember. I have it worked out now but thanks for the help.