Vista, Arduino Uno problems.

Hi, I'm newbie,

I've looked for a thread on this, failed to see one. My Uno, when plugged into the USB cable, shows up under 'Other devices' in Device Manager and not under 'Ports (COM & LPT)' as expected under the 'Getting Started w/ Arduino on Windows'. Will this lead to problems later with port assignment? I've tried using different USB ports, but no joy.

Also, and this is probably a bigger problem, when I right click on Arduino Uno in Device Manager to 'Update Driver Software', and then click 'Browse my computer for driver software', I only get a driver called 'FTDI USB Drivers'. The instructions online specifically state to not use this, and to use "ArduinoUNO.inf". However this option is not showing up!

What to do? If this is already gone into in some other board, I'd be very thankful for a pointer to that.

Manay thanks

Hound

I believe that when you are selecting a driver you only navigate to the folder, so you are seeing not the FTDI driver, but rather folder containing the FTDI drivers. Just navigate to the top level driver folder and it will find the driver file.

cyberbot:
I believe that when you are selecting a driver you only navigate to the folder, so you are seeing not the FTDI driver, but rather folder containing the FTDI drivers. Just navigate to the top level driver folder and it will find the driver file.

Ok, I did that and now I'll see if it works. Thanks. They other problem of the drivers appearing under 'Other Devices' rather than ubder Port '(USB and LPC)', wi;; this cause a problem?

Ok, I did that and now I'll see if it works. Thanks. They other problem of the drivers appearing under 'Other Devices' rather than ubder Port '(USB and LPC)', wi;; this cause a problem?

When the drivers are installed properly, the device will move to the correct category.

Excellent Thank you.