Voltage of a stepper motor

I salvaged some stepper motors from a copyer.

They are STP-42D253.

I would like to control them in the same way at shown on:

I have all components listed in the video - but motor is not the same.

But I do not know what to use as power source.

At the label on the motor it says:
A8594121A
AX050138
STP-42D253
1.8DEG/STEP 2.6 V 1.2 A
SHINANO KANSHI CO. LTD CHINA

The Motor has 6 wires.
Yellow
Red
Orange
Brown
White
Black

I understand everything in the video - programming, components etc.

Could someone explain to me:
Should my external power supply be 2.6 Volt 1.2 Amp (seems to be a low voltage) Most stuff in the printer worked on 24 V

I did not find help on this page - but they show Photos of the motor if needed:
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/stepper-motors-drives/11228-new-need-help.html

Thank you for reading this through!

Motors like that are designed to be run off a switching or chopper driver. They are not designed to be driven of a very low voltage. You can drive them at a current of up to 1.2A.
So you need a stepping motor driver. I am not going to sit through 25 mins of some one droning on an on to find what sort of driver that video shows. I tried scrolling through but failed to find any actual circuit diagram but I suspect it is not the right sort of driver.
Your best bet is to get a stepping motor driver, they are only a few dollers.

Here is the diagram - I can get it working with my other stepper motor 28BYJ48 with no problems using 5V.

My only problem is - which voltage to use with the stp-42D253

Alternatively I also have this driverboard

But still I do not know which voltage to use when using my larger stepper motor?

You can not use any of those two drivers with your motor. Non of them is a current limited driver.
You need something like this:-

Thank you.
I have ordered this board (5 pieces as i have 5 motors) - I did not recieve them yet - I will still need to know which voltage to give it - can you help me with that?

regards
Breum

You can run those boards according to the web site:-

It operates from 8 – 35 V

So anything between those two voltages. The higher the voltage the faster you will be able to drive the motor with out it stalling.

Breum:
I have ordered this board

Which board?

If it is a ULN2003 board you will only be able to use 2.6v plus whatever is the voltage drop in the ULN2003.

If it is the Pololu board you will get the information on the Pololu website.

...R

I purchased 5 A4988 Stepper Motor Driver Carrier as suggested by Grumpy_Mike
The polulu board can take more than 24V so I am sure there is no problem there -

What I am asking for still is what voltage the motors take (through the driver board).

What I am asking for still is what voltage the motors take

That is what I am saying, the motors will take what ever you power the board with. The chopping regulator will ensure that the current is set to the right value.
If you power that board with 24V then the motors will receive 24V pulses. This will be fine, do not worry about the voltage stamped on the motor.

You seem to have a common assumption about stepper motors, namely that they have a specific voltage they operate at. See my probably-too-snarky post here which hopefully explains that you can run a stepper motor at ANY voltage/current, with the following constraints:

• you must use a current-limiting chopper drive to prevent an over-current condition from overheating the motor,
  • don't exceed the motor's insulation limits, this week probably be 100V or more.

Set your current drive to 1A and use a supply of maybe 12V (up to 24V if you want to be able to step faster under load). When you pause stepping (constant holding current), there will be about 2V across the winding resistance and the remaining 22V will be taken up by the inductance of the coils, at 1/12 duty cycle , averaging to zero. While the driver switch is on (1/12 time), there is +22V across the inductance, and then when it's off (11/12 time), there is -2V, so the current will remain steady.

polyglot:

• don't exceed the motor's insulation limits, this week probably be 100V or more.

And what about next week? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

...R

Robin2:

polyglot:

And what about next week? :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

...R

Probably less because it'll be charred by then and/or autocorrect will cause me to say something even dumber :zipper_mouth_face:

You would have a job to design something that has less insulation than 100V.