arduino motor shield with mkr1000

hi! I'm a beginner, You will see..

hmmm... somehow the meaning of my post missing.
so, here it is:

i have mkr1000 and also an arduinomotor shield, but i would like to skip the mkr2uno adapter and simply wire the pins from mkr1000 to the shield, power the shield with a 9v battery...
of course it is not working, but where is the mistake in my logic?
can You help me please? is it possible at all?
what is the secret of mkr2uno if not only doing the wiring for me?
thanks in advance
Laci

There is no real secret to the MKR2UNO.

The real secret is remembering that the MKR series are 3.3 volt boards but many UNO type shields require 5 volts.

Then there is the fact that the UNO is a different MCU to the UNO so not all examples for the UNO will work on the MKR.

In theory you should be able to just wire out to a shield but remember to also keep the wires as short as possible and take into account the two points mentioned.

There are multiple motor shields for the UNO so you will have to look up the specifications of the components used on yours and ensure they are cable of running with the 3.3 / 5 Volt logic.

Also consider that 9 volt batteries tend to have a very very short lifespan especially when used with motors.

thanks.
yes, i also realized if mkr logic use 3.3 and the shield may need 5v as a problem...
but this pairing of mkr1000 and the shield works with mkr2uno, and as i read, there is no any voltage translation by the mkr2uno. that is why i tought it can not be the problem.
maybe the shorter wires... good idea, i will try. thanks

by the way. i had one more idea to try, but not works: connect the 3.3V(VCC) of MKR1000 to the IORef of the shiled. as i read it shows to the shield the logic voltage of the board. or not?

The IOref is tied already on the MKR2UNO to 3.3 as it should be.

If you change that there is a possibility of damage to the MKR.

Some shields may need LEVEL SHIFTING to operate correctly with IORef.
I wonder if this is what is happening in your case.
You would have to examine your shield to see if that is the case.

Without a schematic of your particular shield I would be just guessing.
There are so many motor shields out there each may need a slightly different approach.

Also still bear in mind the different MCU architecture too as that could be quite important in the way timers and PWM are used especially. (sketch required)

ooops, sorry. You are right.
this is the used shield:

and a project where theoretically it was working well together with mkr1000:
https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/Arduino_Genuino/mkr1000-wifi-robot-76a3a0

thanks for Your support!!

Thank you for the links it helps a lot.

The only real difference here is that you are hand / hard wiring the motor shield.
There is a lot of room for error there and you will have to reference the MKR2UNO schematic to ensure you have all the wires in the correct locations and cross reference that to the motor shield.

That is something of a task in itself even for somebody who may have experience.
If I were in your place I would bite the bullet and get the MKR2UNO adaptor to best replicate the actual project.

thanks,

yes, You are right.... even if we consdier the hours i spent in the last days to find the right wiring the 20eur of the mkr2uno worth to pay... :slight_smile:
but: "Please note that currently the MKR2UNO adapter is compatible only with MKR1000 without headers"
and of course i have a mkr1000 with headers...
:):slight_smile:
who said it is an easy world... :slight_smile:

You can raise the shield by using stackable headers.