Fried my arduino

Looks like a hooked up a PNP resistor wrong and fried my arduino UNO. Now I cant upload to it, and the atmega328p gets pretty hot even with nothing connected.
When I write my sketch:

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

It still runs the program that was on it.

Went through the troubleshooter too.
Is there a way to know if I just need a new atmega328 or a whole new arduino?
thanks

Perform a loop-back (aka loopback) test.

I couldnt really find any info on that other than that im bridging the connection between RX and TX. I did that and sent text and nothing happened, if thats what im supposed to be doing. If not, what do I do?

Doesn't sound good. Just in case, detailed instructions...

1. Disable the processor. The best option is to remove the processor from the board (with the power removed). If you cannot or would prefer not to remove the processor, connect a jumper wire between RESET and GND. This will hold the processor in reset preventing it from running.

2. Jumper TX to RX.

3. Apply power to the board.

4. Start your favourite terminal application. Serial Monitor will work fine.

5. Ensure your terminal application is connected to the correct serial port. The baud rate is irrelevant.

6. Type. As you type, the characters should be echoed to the screen.

It works when i DO remove the processor... Is that good? Can I just replace the atmega?

stoopkid:
It works when i DO remove the processor... Is that good?

Yes. That means the board passed the test.

Can I just replace the atmega?

If I were in your shoes, I'd check the 5V and 3.3V. If that seems OK then yes you can just replace the processor.

They're good.... On a semi-related note, do i need to replace it with one bootloaded for the UNO? The only one on parkfun says its for the Duemilanove. And is there a better place(cheaper) than Sparkfun to get them?

stoopkid:
They're good.... On a semi-related note, do i need to replace it with one bootloaded for the UNO?

You do NOT need to get a replacement with a "Uno bootloader". Any "Arduino compatible" bootlaoder should do. The Uno bootloader has some features (smaller, fast jump on power up) that you will give up with other bootloaders.

Or, you can get a blank processor and try your hand at installing a bootloader...
http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html

The only one on parkfun says its for the Duemilanove.

Should be fine.

And is there a better place(cheaper) than Sparkfun to get them?

I think Evil Mad Science has bootloaded processors...

stoopkid:
They're good.... On a semi-related note, do i need to replace it with one bootloaded for the UNO? The only one on parkfun says its for the Duemilanove. And is there a better place(cheaper) than Sparkfun to get them?

No, arduino compatible bootloader will work. However you will have remember to then select the proper arduino board type that is compatible with the bootloader code used. For example if you install a Duemilanove bootloader onto a Uno board then you have to select a Duemilanove board in the IDE before uploading as the bootloader baud rate is different between the Uno and Duemilanove bootloader code.

Lefty