Hacking and processing CAN data

Having looked at the video by NeoRedStone,
I can appreciate the capacity for automobile makers to let their "OEM" hair down and do whatever they want, as long according to the golden rule, "It works". However unlike Linux which is mainly open source and under continual scrutiny, these guys can plug into cars what ever software they like, and make it as mysterious as they like at the same time. Rather than bolster my confidence as a car appreciator and hoping to sniff a few can codes to turn on my Wireless, I have found my confidence that these people really know what they are designing, at a very low point. The recent scandal of VW in Australia with a Golf being involved in a fatal (for the golf driver) rear end collision with a truck due to mysterious (claimed) transmission shutdown Golf shut down on freeway some what disconcerting.

I know all the industries want to be individual and protect their IP, but then they also have to accept the blame when their product is to blame. Some sort of common protocol, community vetted, would give customers some peace of mind their purchase has met the required safety standards, rather than having to put all their faith in some proprietary "black box".

It would also my plan for an after-market radio installation a bloody lot easier to work out.

Cheers rob