A good place to learn the fundamental basics of electronics?

Hey,

I'm not certain if this is the correct sub-forum to ask this question in so sorry if it isn't, but here I go anyway.

I'm really interested in electronics, I'm 19, going to study computer science at university in September, have a strong mathematical - for those who live in the UK and have knowledge about A levels, I've just complete Core 3 and 4 - and programming background, but I've looked at a few tutorials online about concepts like resistance and capacitance and I understand it a little, but really want to gain a greater understanding of all basic concepts.

I was thinking and realised that this forum is such a big community so I was just wondering if anyone would be able to give me some advice on where I can learn the basics of electronics and provide any links that I may be able to have a look at to gain a better-than-basic understanding of electronics.

tl/dr - I'm good at math and programming but really want to get into electronics. Do you know anywhere there are comprehensive tutorials or other learning materials that would be able to teach me electronics from the ground up? If so, I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks for your time,
Erick

Erick_M:
I'm really interested in electronics, I'm 19

Well....first up. I don't appreciate people lying about their age. Notice your '19' but your other comments in your details says '17 year old teenager'. Secondly, I was only kidding about that.

Ok..... thirdly.... since you have a strong mathematical and computing foundation, that will help tremendously.

I think a book is always good to start off with.... eg. "Electric Circuits" -- one of the authors is Riedel. And while you're studying those books...... and doing problems in them, you can also follow some youtube tutorials... maybe google "Jeremy Blum".

And..... if you can, buy some bread-boards, some bread-board wire, a bench power supply, and a multi-meter, and maybe a couple of arduino boards..... like mega 2560 and the UNO.

The first equation you'll probably learn is Ohm's law. Voltage = Current times Resistance. This is for the current and voltage relationship for a RESISTOR. A resistor will be the first two-terminal device you'll be studying for electronics. And, of course, you'll learn about voltage and current.

Lots of stuff on the internet, YouTube, Adafruit, and Sparkfun etc.

Example:
https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-read-a-schematic

Stay away from Fritzing ! ! !

17 going on 19 :wink:

Southpark:
Well....first up. I don't appreciate people lying about their age. Notice your '19' but your other comments in your details says '17 year old teenager'. Secondly, I was only kidding about that.

Ok..... thirdly.... since you have a strong mathematical and computing foundation, that will help tremendously.

I think a book is always good to start off with.... eg. "Electric Circuits" -- one of the authors is Riedel. And while you're studying those books...... and doing problems in them, you can also follow some youtube tutorials... maybe google "Jeremy Blum".

And..... if you can, buy some bread-boards, some bread-board wire, a bench power supply, and a multi-meter, and maybe a couple of arduino boards..... like mega 2560 and the UNO.

The first equation you'll probably learn is Ohm's law. Voltage = Current times Resistance. This is for the current and voltage relationship for a RESISTOR. A resistor will be the first two-terminal device you'll be studying for electronics. And, of course, you'll learn about voltage and current.

That's great, I'll have a look at the book right now and let you know what I think :slight_smile:

I already have an Uno and have lots of resistors, capacitors, breadboards, 555 timers, and quite a bit more, but I really want to learn exactly how to put these resources together to make projects that I genuinely understand.
I worked on a project using the ESP8266 Wifi module and used VOIP to make a phone call, but this was more code than hardware sided so I was basically able to get all of the hardware side stuff I used online. I used the project for a school thing which everyone was really amazed at and I had a great understanding of the code, but I didn't fully understand the hardware which left me feeling sad (that feeling when you get everything but not one thing - that one). I've got exams ATM but when I finish I'll make a new topic and give you a link to it.

larryd:
Lots of stuff on the internet, YouTube, Adafruit, and Sparkfun etc.

Example:
How to Read a Schematic - SparkFun Learn

Stay away from Fritzing ! ! !

17 going on 19 :wink:

Yeah I've had a look at SparkFun and they're great but I sometimes have questions that I want answering and never know who to ask, lol. Thanks for the advice though :slight_smile:

Also regarding my age, if you looked at the timestamp of the posts you'd realise that they were over a year and a half ago, my birthday is around Christmas so I'll let you do the math :stuck_out_tongue:

'The art of electronics' is an excellent and comprehensive textbook - you can download it for a small fee

Allan

Erick_M:
Also regarding my age, if you looked at the timestamp of the posts you'd realise that they were over a year and a half ago, my birthday is around Christmas so I'll let you do the math :stuck_out_tongue:

Got us again!!! You trickster you. The stats are saying you registered yesterday. Come to think of it..... yesterday..... when you said you are 19..... it was post number 1 for you.

Don't worry! We won't treat you any less if you're ONLY 17.

That art of electronics book mentioned by allan is indeed gold.

There are some 13-14 year olds here, quite smart.

You at 19, are an old timer.

Just do it.

Connect components, read, watch youtube tutorial. And do electronics.

Ive seen a lot of people getting frozen in a never-ending learning exercise leading nowhere.

===

Concerning age: does not matter. Really. After 10 years old (abstract thinking starts) and up 90 years old (degenerative brain processes are very likely to be to advanced to allow learning) - age does not matter.

However, there are robotics toys targeting 5 years old, as well as companion robots to support seniors. Age does not matter.

But what does matter is perseverance. It is very easy to start, but very difficult to keep learning and doing things.

You got a lot of nice references.

One from me: explore logical gates Integrated circuits series 4000:

Choose whatever logical gates you like. Then you may like to build your own half adder (:-)).

A very good basic electronics course is available at All about circuits
click on the education tab at the top of the page.

You could look for a training class for Ham Radio Licensing.
These include a fair amount of "practical" electronics, even if you neglect the stuff about antennas and such. (And a Ham license can be useful, too, for understanding just how illegal all those cheap imported wireless units might be!)
A slight warning: the last time I was involved, the ham class used "imperial" units, which was very strange for someone who had been though physics and EE classes that were universally metric...

I found the All New Electronics Self Teaching Guide to be a great book. Glad to see that you are motivated.

I'd suggest starting with the physics, Walter Lewin's excellent MIT lectures are available on line, they will give you
a proper grounding upto Maxwell and beyond.

I second Walter Lewin's MIT lectures. There are several playlists of his series of lectures on YouTube.

allanhurst:
'The art of electronics' is an excellent and comprehensive textbook - you can download it for a small fee

Is V3 available online? I wouldn't bother with V2 which is about 30y old.

Thanks for all the great responses, I'm happy to see everyone willing to help.
I'm currently nearing the end of my A-levels so I won't be look at the resources suggested in depth till after the 27th (my last exam), but I'll definitely respond to everyone when I'm done.

In response to my age again, lol, I've had an account on the forums for over a year but I was never active so I'm guessing the forum changes your registration date when you're active again (that's all admin stuff and idk any staff to ask). Regardless, I don't mind if I'm considered an oldie round here, I just wanna learn electronics :slight_smile:

Yes

Allan

Use your hands, not only your eyes. Do electronics.

If you learn about LEDs, learn them then connect them and make them blink. If you learn logic integrates, learn then put them on the breadboard and go power them and push the buttons.

This is my approach in whatever I learn. It is rooted in the psychology of learning, as a learning style.

Of course, you may choose whatever learning style you like. But the one I suggest here is certainly very fun :-)).

optoaudio:

Why is a 30 year old electronics book not worth the bother ?

srnet:

Probably just mis-communicated what they were trying to say.... maybe. Probably just means.... they update previous versions... fix up errors, and maybe add extra things. But, obviously, if one doesn't have access to the latest version, then makes sense to go with whatever is available.

srnet:

Because I have V3 hardcover already: an electronic copy of that would be very handy.