LM324 - Opamp with transducer input.

Hello.

I have managed to wire up a 2 stage opamp using an LM324. I have used the schematic from this datasheet and fed the output on one opamp quarter (I think thats how youd describe it?) in to the + of another.
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm124-n.pdf (page 11).

Its taking a very low (around 10mV) 1ms pulse in to the first opamp quarter to boost it to around 200mV which is then fed in to the second opamp to boost it from 200mV to near 3300mv (3.3V).

Here is the three stages in a video...- YouTube

Seeming as it can work, I would like to replace the arduino nano with a 40Mhz transducer in order to amplify the transducer signal to near 3-5V. The transducer gives off more than a few mV so I hope that it can be used with the LM324. Here is a video of the transducer:

Where I am a bit stuck:

a) The opamp claims 1Mhz bandwidth...when I set the input signal from the nano at 24us period (aprox 40KHz), the output from the first op-amp is distorted ("sharks fin") and there is not an output on the second final boosting opamp...
What is going on? Even when I bump up the initial voltage, there is still a sharksfin style wave on the first output and then still no second output... (acutally....when I set the oscilooscope to 20mV I can see the sharksfin type wave...but really noisy).

b) The wiring I am unsure about. I do not know if GND needs to be tied from the opamp supply and the transducer?

c) Can I happily use say a 2n2222a transistor to boost the signal to 5v because of the voltage loss in the opamp.

I would like to replace the arduino nano with a 40Mhz transducer

No you don't.

The scope has its probe in a not calibrated state.

The wiring I am unsure about. I do not know if GND needs to be tied from the opamp supply and the transducer?

The schematic we are not sure about. What is in the data sheet is only half the story, we need to know your schematic and how you are powering it and how you are wiring up the transducer.
Yes you need a common ground but exactly what depends on your power arrangement.

Grumpy_Mike:
No you don't.

The scope has its probe in a not calibrated state.

It is a 1x probe with no possible calibration and shows a good square wave at 1ms 0.2v?

I am new to the whole thing so I may be wrong. I get decent signals of correct time length and voltage when I use the nano as a signal generator.

Has this anything to do with the slew rate of 0.5V/us?

It could be.
How about that schematic and a look at exactly where in it you took that measurement.

Essentially this is what I want:

To take the signal from a 40Khz transducer (around 3-10mV and up to 100KHz frequency).
Put this in to the opamp to amplify it by 10-15,000 gain wise.
Take the opamp signal in to a bit divider.
Divide by 16.
Output to Arduino Micro to count pulses.

Large - Imgur: The magic of the Internet

Would this "work"?

Johnny010:
a) The opamp claims 1Mhz bandwidth

No it doesn't, not the way you're thinking. Read more carefully. It says 1 MHz unity gain bandwidth, also known as the gain-bandwidth product.

In order to get the actual bandwidth of your configuration, you need to divide the GBP by your gain.

In this case, 1 MHz / 10,000 gain = 100 Hz bandwidth.

You either need to cascade your op amp stages to get the bandwidth you want (http://www.eevblog.com/2014/01/25/eevblog-572-cascading-opamps-for-increased-bandwidth/), or get a much higher bandwidth op amp.

Jiggy-Ninja:
No it doesn't, not the way you're thinking. Read more carefully. It says 1 MHz unity gain bandwidth, also known as the gain-bandwidth product.

In order to get the actual bandwidth of your configuration, you need to divide the GBP by your gain.

In this case, 1 MHz / 10,000 gain = 100 Hz bandwidth.

You either need to cascade your op amp stages to get the bandwidth you want (http://www.eevblog.com/2014/01/25/eevblog-572-cascading-opamps-for-increased-bandwidth/), or get a much higher bandwidth op amp.

Thanks!

He even has the calculation for me for upto 100KHz ha!

Looks like if I want a decent frequency range (74Khz) with a total gain of 10k ish I need to cascade 6 1Mhz opamps. Not as bad as I thought!

Going to try a 4 cascade first for a 43Khz Bandwidth with 10,000 gain to see if I get close to the claimed values :).
Actually, sticking with 4 to keep costs down and these cheap transducers dont have a large bandwidth anyway!

I need to cascade 6 1Mhz opamps

Do you know about DC offset?
It is the DC signal that appears to be on the input of each Op amp. So assume it is 1mA (it will say what it is in the data sheet) that gets amplified as if it were a signal. So with a gain of 10K that will totally saturate your amplifier. As this is an AC signal to prevent this you couple each stage through capacitors to remove the DC offset from the previous stage. If you do this into the Arduino input, with pull up / down resistors on the input then there is no need to have that wacking big potential divider on the end and it will reduce your gain requirement.

On of the reasons you never configure a single opamp stage with 10,000 gain
is the hopeless bandwidth you get (other are instability issues, amplifying the input offset
to be off the scale).

Stick to two stages, gains of 20 or so, couple them together with appropriate capacitor
and ensure each stage has correct DC bias, just like with any amplifier setup. That keeps
the DC offsets from increasing without limit (you have a high-pass filter basically).

You'll probably need a mid-rail virtual ground, but hey you've got a quad package so
one opamp can be a voltage follower and generate a stiff virtual ground from a 10k+10k
voltage divider.

An opamp may allow AC input signals around 0V, but it can't produce AC outputs, and
the output behaviour is usually awful anywhere near the rails (low bandwidth).

What's the output impedance of the transducer?

Something like this in fact:

The unmarked cap sets the cutoff, since you are using 40kHz (not 40MHz as you said!!)
choosing C = 1uF will be fine.

Note using the inverting amp config. in the second stage stops the input offset
being amplified at all, so at most 5mV DC error on the output w.r.t. the V.Gnd :slight_smile:

Not this is a low power slow opamp, faster ones are available if you want decent
gain at 40kHz and its harmonics.

The AD8656 is a nice dual rail-to-rail high performance example, 28MHz gain/bandwidth
product, extremely low noise, 0.25mV offset, slew-rate 11V/us. More expensive of course...

I seem to now have a problem cascading the opamps!

Literally copied this schematic, have a 9V battery supplying the LM324 and have tied the arduino nano GND to the 9v battery GND.

EEVblog #572 - Cascading Opamps For Increased Bandwidth - YouTube (5min12s in).

I get an output signal from the first LM324 output at the expected gain of 10, but no output on the second!
I have used a 0.1uf (104) ceramic cap as a coupling between the first output pin (1) and the +input (pin 5).

Using a 20mV 10Khz in signal, I get the expected 0.2V out of the first opamp (pin 1), but no 2v output out of the second opamp. I have tried 2 ICs incase one was blown. If I set the oscilloscope to 20mV...I get a trace like the first output signal of 20mV :|.

EDIT: I assume this is me not doing something about this "virtual ground"? Do I just a couple of same value resistors to give a potential divider and use that as the GND for the opamps?

Get rid of the coupling cap.

Jiggy-Ninja:

Legend.
I feel like a bit of an idiot now ha! Need to take a proper electronics course I think!

Jiggy-Ninja:

No. Read the rest of the thread, they will be needed to remove the DC offset.

The three points marked VG should all be connected together. You will get nothing on the second op amp until you connect the VG to the VG of the first op amp. If you do not want to use that top amplifier as a VG generator then use two resistors and connect them to the VG on the two op amps.

Grumpy_Mike:
No. Read the rest of the thread, they will be needed to remove the DC offset.

If the right op amp configuration was used, certainly, but considering that he was using a coupling cap without proper biasing (he said he copied Dave's circuit exactly) it would kinda work. Still not the best suggestion I've made. The proper way to do things is to follow MarkT's schematic, not Dave Jones's.

The three points marked VG should all be connected together. You will get nothing on the second op amp until you connect the VG to the VG of the first op amp. If you do not want to use that top amplifier as a VG generator then use two resistors and connect them to the VG on the two op amps.

Given that the first stage of MarkT's schematic is a non-inverting configuration, wouldn't it need an op amp VG generator? Unlike the inverting configuration, there'll be current flowing in and out of the VGND, requiring a buffer for a low impedance output.

Indeed, I drew the circuit as I did for a reason.

MarkT:
Something like this in fact:

The unmarked cap sets the cutoff, since you are using 40kHz (not 40MHz as you said!!)
choosing C = 1uF will be fine.

OK I have built up the circuit except for the final inverting amp.

The virtual ground "seems" to work and produce a voltage between the +9 and 0v supply. I have put the on "op-amp 1" of the quad package and taken the output to a separate breadboard rail. I get a voltage of -3.85V when I measure between the 9v (around 8.7V) battery + and the new V.G.

The transducer is giving a ~40mV 20us pulse (25Khz) which is being picked up by the + pin on the 2nd op-amp. I have set the gain to ~10 (1k+75ohm resistors), which would be around 100Khz of available BW. But I am not getting any output on the op-amp compared to the V.G.

The supply for the quad package I am using the 9v+ for the V++ and the V.G for the vcc-.

I have used a 0.1uf ceramic cap for the voltage divider as I dont have any larger ceramics (only electro caps).

What is going on :(?

Oh...this may help explain why. The transducer measures 300K ohms +ve to -ve. That is the impedance right? Does this mean it is only giving out 40mV/300K = 1e-7A ish worth of current so it does not trigger the op-amp?
According to the datasheet, input offset current = 5e-9 typical and 30e-9 max. The current from the transducer should be over these surely?