What should I buy?

Hello;

I am new to Arduino products.

I have very extensive electronics background (40+ years). I design, build and develop my own electronic circuits.
I have extensive computer programming experience (15+ years)... mostly basic and visual basic.

I would like to begin with computer programming. Eventually, I want to be able to use an LCD monitor to display various graphic shapes, pictures and video files.

I also want to be able to use stepper motors.

I am not timid with this kind of thing. I don't mind starting out with the most sophisticated product available. I figure I can always back down should it appear too difficult...

What I am looking for is advice on where to start! Quite a bewildering array of products!

Thanks!

Don

A 16MHz small SRAM Arduino will struggle to do sophisticated graphics. A RaspberryPi might make more sense for that. But have a look at this Awind Thread (I have not tried it myself).

An Arduino is good for controlling stepper motors.

The best Arduino to start with is the Uno because most of the software and add-ons work with it.

You can easily use an Arduino in conjunction with an RPi.

...R
Stepper Motor Basics
Simple Stepper Code
Python - Arduino demo

donw:
I have very extensive electronics background (40+ years). … I would like to begin with computer programming.

What I am looking for is advice on where to start! Quite a bewildering array of products!

3 answers:

1 - start with the tutorials and example code. Put some LEDs in a breadboard. Make 'em blink. See the arduino playground.
2 - start with a C++ tutorial, because that's the thing you are missing. Just google "C++ tutorial".
3 - start with a project. none of this stuff is cool until you are working towards making a thing that you want to make.