Arduino and Window Memory Map File

Just a quick question.. that is probably a yes or no..

Can an Arduino access a Mapped Memory File in Windows Directly over a serial connection OR does it have to have a Window helper program to be able to transmit data in that Memory File?

bsohn:
Just a quick question.. that is probably a yes or no..

Can an Arduino access a Mapped Memory File in Windows Directly over a serial connection OR does it have to have a Window helper program to be able to transmit data in that Memory File?

You start by proposing a single question and then ask two questions, so I guess you already know the answer.

How many programs have you seen that can magically read files from your PC?

Paul

Paul_KD7HB:
You start by proposing a single question and then ask two questions, so I guess you already know the answer.

How many programs have you seen that can magically read files from your PC?

Paul

Yea you are right but I was I guess hoping that there was something I was missing in a pass through serial driver or something that would allow access to things. As at this moment I am kind of clueless on how to write my own serial driver program to read what is needed ON the windows side of things.. Im learning the arduino OK but windows programming seems WAY more daunting.

bsohn:
...Mapped Memory File in Windows...

Why something so oddly specific?

bsohn:
Yea you are right but I was I guess hoping that there was something I was missing in a pass through serial driver or something that would allow access to things. As at this moment I am kind of clueless on how to write my own serial driver program to read what is needed ON the windows side of things.. Im learning the arduino OK but windows programming seems WAY more daunting.

Yet here you are asking about memory mapped files, a complex topic that many developers have never used once in their life.

No, what you are asking for can not be done easily. However, writing a program to read serial data is not as complex as you would think. Espicaly if you use something like QT that has a QSerialPort class.

Romonaga:
...memory mapped files, a complex topic...

Meh. What is it, like four API calls? Hardly "complex".

OK well I am trying to read an SDK output from a Game in Windows. It actually have since found out gets written to a .dll file from the Mapped Memory Files for the game.. Or at least that was what was explained to me by some who have done Windows Programs for it.. Basically I am sort of wondering if I can read an SDK output over serial with the Teensy without having to actually have a helper program to find the file and the information if I know where to point it..

I am probably using terms that are more complex than I really know about as I am just a beginner in even the Serial access world of this..

So in a way it is sort of what Coding Badly mentioned in that I am wondering if I can make API type calls calls directly from the teensy to read information rather than having to have a program that makes those calls and translates them into a different Serial format for the Teensy to read and use.

Thank you Romonaga for the suggestions with QT as I have loosely looked into that as well as a couple other things.

Im just kind of trying to streamline the process to -

SDK ---> Teensy Serial read

From what I know is possible but harder for me...

SDK ---> SDK Translation/Serial Information conversion Helper Application ----> Teensy Serial Read

I hope I am sort of explaining myself more clearly.. If Im not just tell me it can't be done.. lol

You cannot EVER read ANYTHING from a PC serial port without an application running on the the PC to send that data.

Regards,
Ray L.

RayLivingston:
You cannot EVER read ANYTHING from a PC serial port without an application running on the the PC to send that data.

Regards,
Ray L.

Thank you, so I guess I am going to have to figure out how to write a program to convert the SDK data to something I can read over the Serial to the Teensy.. That was the basic question I had..

bsohn:
...output from a Game...

Which?

iRacing