Failure in assigning port in IDE

Hey guys,

I just bought an Arduino set on Amazon, scary I know but i made sure it was original Arduino. The board has the Arduino logo and seems solid and of very good quality, That was my fist impression at least. Its called "The Arduino starter kit" and has a book and all the components necessary to complete 15 projects.

The point is I cant get it to work.

When i plug the Arduino UNO in via USB to the computer the green LED labeled 'ON' lights up, and so does a yellow LED marked 'L'.

Windows 10 plays a little jingle,.

The book says windows should initiate the driver installation process when the the device is plugged in. though nothing happens

i decide to move to the next step where there is information on how to install the drivers manually,

I open device manager, find 'Unkown Deveice' under 'Other devices' , click 'udpate driver'. and navigate to the Drivers folder in the Arduino folder.

and get a error saying windows could not find the drivers to my device.

also there was no 'Ports(COM and LPT)' section in my device manager.

I tried uploading a sketch anyways, but as you might expect it didn't work :frowning:
i couldn't select a port from Tools>>Port as Port was greyed out and un-selectable.

I tried the online IDE and it also failed to load a sketch.

i tried all the USB port on my computer with 2 different cables

8 hours of searching online led me to realize that it was either a driver issue, though nobody seemed to have the exact same problem I had, or...

that the chip on board doesn't have the USB-to-serial program loaded on the chip.

though i read there are ways to program it yourself I was really hoping for a Blink sketch to be my first project on the Arduino.

If any of you have any suggestions on what to do I would appreciate the help.

-------hopfuly not completely usless information------------
Computer:

Windows 10 HOME
version 1809
os build 17763.475
64 bit operating system, x64 based processor
8gb ram

Arduino uno , uhh, with the "square"-ish USB ^^

driver update failed.PNG

Have you tried installing the Arduino IDE software first?

Yes, I have. I installed the App, The exe, and the ZIP, uninstalling after each. Not even the web IDE will work.

In win 10 the COM & LPT section can be hidden in some installations.

Unplug your Arduino from the computer.
From the top bar in DEVICE MANAGER click the "SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES" (The COM section should now show) You can also google that for various methods around it.
Plug in your Arduino and if it truly is an original something should show now in the COM section.

If not then check for any devices that are showing any kind of failure as another common issue with win 8-10 is driver enforcement.
This can be turned off as and when needed.

Another common problem is over aggressive antivirus or similar.

Some way around those issues above are to use the "INSTALL AS ADMINISTRATOR" Again Google is your friend for that.

Bob.

PS most of us dont like the APP version as there are all too often some minor issues with it.